“What a gem.....”

Sheene Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Melbourn
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Funny little place.

The type of place you'd pass everyday and not really note as remarkable, other than for a pretty facade and oldy worldy, higgldypigguldy, clapperboard and brick, it really isn't very grand.

And maybe that adds to the charm. I don't want to be mean, but it's only just a 'hotel' in that they are a small hotel with the emphasis on small. The delights within therefore, are a real shocker.

I haven't eaten so well, since my last visit to Le Manoir in Oxfordshire or the Chewton Glen down in the New Forest. I'm serious.

I haven't ever eaten such a sublime fusion of flavours, outside of a Michelin starred restaurant, period. Dinner was the highlight of the stay. Fabulous food, beautifully cooked, unfussed, but the depth and breadth of how they achieve that, I have no doubt entails hours of prep, simmering, reducing and generally caring.

The complexity in the presentation too! If one eats with one's eyes, then this was a fantasy lapdance given by Miss World. Dinner was faultless. Vegetables cooked to perfection, dressings and sauces delicately dancing in the background, wheresoever deployed, stimulating and teasing but never dominating the whole. I had two meals there, dinner on arrival (confit of duck, that was plump and soft, ducky in flavour, with none of those annoying dry elements from murdering it in a too hot oven) and lunch the following day (having moved the venue of my meeting to the hotel, on the strength of both service and grub the evening before) a fillet steak, with a foie gras tranche and balsamic and wine reduction that alluded to a Tornedos Rossini, but so much more sophisticated. It melted in the mouth.

All this from a terrace overlooking a pretty mill pond, entertained by a kingfisher, mummy quacker and her seven babies (yes, felt guilty about the confit but hey...) a swan I named 'Mr Big' due to his need to dominate his surroundings, three species of goose and countless other sensory stimulae that take all the puff out of a busy world, and demand one to reflect on what the hell one really is doing in life generally.

So take a bow, Sheene Mill, your staff were super, so accommodating and helpful, your kitchen will have a star in no time at all if you keep that up.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank scratchey

Reviewed 8 June 2009

I must admit to some bias, as we had our wedding reception here a few years ago and tend to return annually. The rooms are getting a little tired, although they are still pretty nice and the building / decor could do with a little TLC in places, as pointed out in other reviews. However, I have always found the food and service to be excellent and the wine list is very extensive, fom the reasonable to the scarily rarefied. Do be careful of the room with the waterbed - I lept athletically into bed only to bouce out again innto the wall! Recommended, but just don't expect Mr and Mrs Smith urban chic and polished perfection a괈nd you will enjoy the experience. The gardens are really lovely.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoungeLizard2007
Reviewed 13 April 2009

My husband and I went to Sheene Mill for a relaxing weekend away and we got exactly that, the staff are friendly,welcoming but not to over the top. our room overlooked the beautiful lake and was clean and homely. Breakfast was an experience as really tasty and very fresh. we will definitley be going back and hope that they continue the good work.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2008

I had booked a room for myself and my wife just for a weekend getaway. I found the staff very welcoming, and the food amazing.
I had found out that the Hotel is under new managment, and what a grand job they have done.

Will definatley go again

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 11 September 2007

We booked into the hotel for a special occasion hoping for an above average experience - given the reputation of the restaurant and the small 'boutique' feel of the hotel. We were to be disappointed. The restaurant was absolutely fine, in fact the food was pretty good. However our evening was seriously compromised by the fact that the service was so fast and over attentive we'd eaten both courses and drunk our wine in under an hour...We then had to drag out the last course and ask the 3+ individuals attending our table to leave us alone so we could extend our evening beyond nine o'clock. The hotel is a little shabby to be honest - the paint in the common parts is peeling and our room could have done with an overhaul, especially the bathroom which only had cold water in the shower and hot water in the basin. We won't be returning.

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank LondonDwarf
sheenemillreception, Owner at Sheene Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

We are the new owners of The Sheene Mill since 2/1/2013 and we are dedicated to transforming the building back to its former glory.

We are really sorry to hear that your stay wasn't as fantastic as we would expect. We have watched the building decline over the years as we live locally. Now we have the opportunity to fix all the things that were done wrong in the past... and we have already done a great deal in a short space.

Reviewed 19 January 2007

I had to post this review as we [my other half and I] were talking earlier about the worst overpriced places we've stayed in. We came home and decided to see what other people had thought of 'Sheene Mill' which featured high on our list. It's sad to see that it hasn't improvedover the past few years. We found ot to be over-rated, over-priced with a starchy restaurant and the worst breakfast we've ever had[mouldy apples and soggy cornflakes] It's a shame that the owners don't take the time to read this website and improve their standards

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dafad

Reviewed 6 July 2006

We booked one night at Sheene Mill in January together with dinner in the restaurant, for my husband's 30th birthday. Our room was on the first floor and was tiny. We could also hear lots of noise through the ceiling from the room above which did not make for a very peaceful stay.

We put aside our disappointment however as we were looking forward to dining in the restaurant. For dinner however, on arrival in the retsuarnt we were disappointed to find out that the table we reserved was in a separate section at the entrance to the main restaurant - we could hear the noises of people from the main restaurant section next door including the live piano etc but felt we were sat in the parlour and next door not allowed to join in. We felt rushed throughout dinner and that the food was not that great. Sitting in the "parlour" did not make for a very ambient evening so we ended up taking a bottle of wine back to our room and sitting there instead. For the money we paid we did not feel we had a luxury special experience and would not go back.

If you do decide to dine at Sheene Mill do specify you want a table in the main part of the restaurant - if it had been pointed out to me where our table was when we made the booking we definitely would not have decided to go to Sheene Mill.

3  Thank Firefly100

Serena & Jordan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourn
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Hotel Felix
Hotel Felix
#9 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Sheene Mill? Share your experiences!