“Underwhelming” 2 of 5 bubbles

Sheene Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Melbourn
“Underwhelming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2007

We booked into the hotel for a special occasion hoping for an above average experience - given the reputation of the restaurant and the small 'boutique' feel of the hotel. We were to be disappointed. The restaurant was absolutely fine, in fact the food was pretty good. However our evening was seriously compromised by the fact that the service was so fast and over attentive we'd eaten both courses and drunk our wine in under an hour...We then had to drag out the last course and ask the 3+ individuals attending our table to leave us alone so we could extend our evening beyond nine o'clock. The hotel is a little shabby to be honest - the paint in the common parts is peeling and our room could have done with an overhaul, especially the bathroom which only had cold water in the shower and hot water in the basin. We won't be returning.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank LondonDwarf
sheenemillreception, Owner at Sheene Mill, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
We are the new owners of The Sheene Mill since 2/1/2013 and we are dedicated to transforming the building back to its former glory.

We are really sorry to hear that your stay wasn't as fantastic as we would expect. We have watched the building decline over the years as we live locally. Now we have the opportunity to fix all the things that were done wrong in the past... and we have already done a great deal in a short space.

Serena & Jordan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
devon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2007

I had to post this review as we [my other half and I] were talking earlier about the worst overpriced places we've stayed in. We came home and decided to see what other people had thought of 'Sheene Mill' which featured high on our list. It's sad to see that it hasn't improvedover the past few years. We found ot to be over-rated, over-priced with a starchy restaurant and the worst breakfast we've ever had[mouldy apples and soggy cornflakes] It's a shame that the owners don't take the time to read this website and improve their standards

• Stayed June 2005, travelled as a couple
      Location
4 Thank dafad

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2006

We booked one night at Sheene Mill in January together with dinner in the restaurant, for my husband's 30th birthday. Our room was on the first floor and was tiny. We could also hear lots of noise through the ceiling from the room above which did not make for a very peaceful stay.

We put aside our disappointment however as we were looking forward to dining in the restaurant. For dinner however, on arrival in the retsuarnt we were disappointed to find out that the table we reserved was in a separate section at the entrance to the main restaurant - we could hear the noises of people from the main restaurant section next door including the live piano etc but felt we were sat in the parlour and next door not allowed to join in. We felt rushed throughout dinner and that the food was not that great. Sitting in the "parlour" did not make for a very ambient evening so we ended up taking a bottle of wine back to our room and sitting there instead. For the money we paid we did not feel we had a luxury special experience and would not go back.

If you do decide to dine at Sheene Mill do specify you want a table in the main part of the restaurant - if it had been pointed out to me where our table was when we made the booking we definitely would not have decided to go to Sheene Mill.

3 Thank Firefly100

Cambridge, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2006

We decided to spend a romantic night away and since the restaurant had such good reviews, we thought that the hotel would be just as excellent. At the price we were charged, I would have expected a very high standard. We stayed in the water room, the decor not really to my liking, possibly because the fittings were seeing signs of age - the porthole on the cupboard door was cracked, the one light fitting above the dressing table was hanging out, the one spotlight in the ceiling was not working, the floor was very dirty and dusty (particularly the bottom of the cupboard), we could only get hot water out of the taps during the night, the duvet seemed to have bleach stains on it and several floor tiles were broken. All in all, a very unimpressive hotel stay.
The restaurant on the other hand was lovely and the pianist was fantastic.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank Monique C

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2006

The room was OK, but not at all good value. However, it was the standards of cleaning that motivated me to write a review. The headboard and the blinds were just thick with dust. The TV was a cheap little portable that did not have an external aerial, so was virtually unwatchable. The bathroom although clean, had old, discoloured, rough towels and the shower had so little pressure that my husband abandoned it altogether. I would have expected to pay a lot less, in fact 50% less considering the standard of the room.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank dsbfjW

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2005

My husband and I went for the weekend and we had a lovely time. We booked the Water Room (with waterbed), which was on the small side, but to be fair it had a lovely view out of the window and had all the basic amenities we needed (Clipper organic tea bags with little choco squares, Molton Brown toiletries). We treated ourselves to massages in the spa just opposite the hotel, and after the treatments, we slept like babies. For the evening, we dined in the restaurant, where price and portions were reasonable. The pianist provided good entertainment through the night and all in all it was a most pleasant way to spend the weekend.

2 Thank S2W277
LONDON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2004

We went to the Sheene Mill Restaurant for lunch last Sunday. It is quite some distance from home, but we had an appointment in Cambridgeshire, so thought we'd give it a go on the way back.
I had driven past the place several years ago and thought how lovely it looked. I didn't know until I tried to find some reviews on the internet that it is know owned and run by Steven Saunders, who used to be a TV chef. This fact even put me off a little, as I thought it would therefore be outrageously overpriced with namby-pamby portions and snooty staff! I couldn't have been farther from the truth.
On arrival, we were greeted by a young lady in a casual and friendly manner, our coats were taken and we were directed into the bar area. There are 3 places to sit and have a drink before or after dinner and, had I not been driving, I think we could have quite happily spent the whole of the afternoon there.
There is a trendy bar area with a few seats and tables laden with giant olives and nibbles, a vast conservatory, which looks out over the mill pond (I should imagine it looks fantastic on a warm sunny day) and up some steps, another traditional pub type bar.
The restaurant itself is simply decorated, with several different sized tables to cater for couples or large groups (the best table if you are a romantic couple is just before the entrance to the main dining area where there is a very private table for 2 tucked in the window with a roaring log fire behind).
Again, I should think this place really comes into its own on warm summer days, as there are french doors opening onto the grounds all along one wall of the restaurant.

The food. On a Sunday there is a set menu of 3 courses @ £25 per head (there were about 5 choices for each course I think). I had goat's cheese bruschetta with a red onion marmalade, which was perfect in every way and my husband had rope grown mussels (whatever they are!) with a wonderful sauce made with lemon grass, chilli and chorizo. After he had eaten the mussels - which melted in the mouth - my husband was left with a hearty bowl of soup!
For main course, we both had traditional Sunday roast with Aberdeen Angus beef, the best yorkshire pudding I have ever tasted and a good selection of vegetables.
The beef was cooked to perfection and surprisingly tender, especially as it had been sliced so thickly.
Dessert seemed too much like overindulgence, but, what the heck, if it was going to be as good as the rest......
So, I had a lemon brulee with summer fruits and shortbread, which was sharp and refreshing, and for my sweeter toothed husband a chocolate & bailey's mousse, which he wouldn't let me try, so we have to take his word that is was 'orgasmic'!
The service throughout the meal was friendly but discreet. We ordered a single glass of wine each, which was poured at the table out of a freshly opened bottle, the plates were never left too long once we had finished and our water was kept topped up.
The bill including pre dinner drinks and wine came to £76 - I would expect the same meal to be at least double in London, and probably not as relaxing.
We will go again, next time for an evening meal and sample one of the eight bedrooms attached to the restaurant, so that we can get stuck into the extensive wine list!

• Stayed November 2004
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank JUDDIE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourn
Duxford Lodge
Hotel Felix
Hotel Felix
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,101 reviews

Been to Sheene Mill? Share your experiences!