“Crabby landlady!”

The Bridge House
Ranked #21 of 83 Restaurants in St Neots
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Kids, View, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A charming 16th century riverside bar & restaurant where you can enjoy picturesque views of the Great Ouse. Traditional bar, riverside view restaurant and riverside seating with an outside bar. Major refurbishment march 2013
St Neots, United Kingdom
“Crabby landlady!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

What a lovely pub in a great location. The refurb is really nice and there is a lovely outdoor seating area. Can't comment on food. How EVER, the biggest letdown in our book here is the landlady. Had a few snippy interactions with her which always make us hesitate to go back. Most recently we were entertaining friends from elsewhere, and brought them into St Neots. Stopped here for a drink later in the evening. It was 9.45pm. Ordered a couple of pints, a coke and *gasp* a coffee. 'You can't have coffee, I've just turned the machine off.' Oh. Not even 10pm and you turn the coffee machine off? Would have been more convincing if, not even 15 mins later, we hadn't seen the landlady making a drink at the coffee machine! Have not been back since. What a poor advertisement for what generally is such a nice place.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank cath w

Bedford, United Kingdom
“Very poor”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Not a good experience at all. Very misleading as looks lovely from the outside. Chocolate custard was vanilla custard with a scoop of powdered drinking chocolate mixed in, was a shame they couldn't even mix that right as had lumps of powder... Nice... NOT!

Could be such a lovely place but they definitely don't have it right :(

3 Thank Morgan D
“Very unimpressed”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stopped in here for a bite of lunch before exploring St Neots on Bank Holiday Monday and really wished we hadn't. There was only one member of staff at the bar, so getting a drink took ages - a warning that we should have heeded! It was not particularly busy, yet it took 50 minutes to get our meal. When we complained we received no apology, but were told that there was a wait time of 30mins for food - this turned out to be a blatant lie as a couple who ordered after us were served, finished their food and had left before we got ours. The food, when it arrived, was nothing to shout about. I ordered a chicken breast burger with Stilton cheese, but the Stilton had been put on when the chicken was too hot, so by the time I came to eat it, there wasn't any cheese left as it had all melted away. The chicken had a texture as though it had been cooked from frozen and was full of veins (something which I am very particular about). The chips and onion rings were pleasant, but nothing special. We had a young child, so as you can imagine keeping them entertained for such a long period was very difficult, but by then it was too late to go elsewhere. I imagine they get the custom because they are the first place you see (and they have an outdoor seating area over looking the river). I would not visit again. It is a shame because there is potential for this place to be amazing.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank scorpioandthistle
Cambridgeshire
“Amazing food & service”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I visited here last Saturday with a group of friends & just wanted to say a big thank you to all the team there. We was made to feel very welcome & nothing was too much trouble, they even organised a birthday cake for my friend & even sang to her very touching. Most off us ate off the specials menu board & we all said how lovely & fresh it was it was hard to decide what to have, I had sea bream & it was cooked to perfection the scotch eggs looked very good too. I eat out a lot but it is so nice to see an independent business doing everything from scratch using the freshest ingredients, it's such a joy to eat homemade food. We will be back i need to try the puddings we see them go out & they looked lovely but due to having birthday cake we had no room left. Keep up the good work. A very satisfied customer.

Bristol
“Average”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Went on a recommendation to dinner for a relative's birthday. Found the restaurant set out like many pub/restaurants and none the worse for that - it was dark (January) but it was right on the river and the view would be nice

I had a poor chicken liver pate and "melba" toast - little suggest that the pate hadn't been sourced from a budget supermarket range though it claimed to be "home made"and the toast was a poor effort in terms of crispness. The accompaniments were poor especially as also claimed to be "home made"

I then has lamb shank - which is a most forgiving cut of meat. It was rather chewy and tasteless and looked like it had been bought in (I don't know - this is just an impression) and reheated. I understand that such a dish cannot be made to order - bit if you are going to offer it - then at least source a good one. Its not on the menu - looked on lone) so must have been a "dish of the day"

The staff were pretty good, the drinks prices as expected - it was just a very ordinary experience

I guess I many have chosen a quiet night - but I didn't get the feel that this was likely to be the case

• Visited January 2014