“34 on golf weekend”

Abbotsley Golf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St Neots
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Rooms of good standard. No whaw factor anywhere. Both courses in good condition although I think ladies and long handicappers would struggle on the main course.
The food just passed as ok, no one could eat the steak on first night as to tough, breakfast very basic.
Strange that spa & gym is located at second course not at main hotel.
Plenty of better choices for a weekend break.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Abbotsley Golf Hotel

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Arranged a golf trip for 12 and this venue's accommodation on site with two golf courses and reasonable pricing were its on paper appeal. I am glad to report it delivered on that appeal. The accommodation was clean and modelled on the Premier Inn experience with a few bolt ons. The food was plentiful and with a varied choice across the three courses. Good selection of beers/lagers/ciders in the bar which stayed open well in to the night. Staff were courteous and patient and did a great job coping with 12 thirsty golfers. As to the golf courses the main course was excellent and a strong challenge for our mid to high handicappers. The Cromwell course was noticeably easier but a good contrast. I would recommend this venue for a golf society who want a reasonably priced weekend which ticks all the boxes.

Room Tip: I stayed in the new block which was excellent
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Hotel fine food staff friendly abbotsley course is good not sure about the Cromwell .would I come back unlikely
As. County club once your round over not much else to do need pool gym at the main hotel
But not bad value for money

Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We spent Friday to Monday here on a golf break. Excellent place would come again, really good value. Could have a couple of real ales on the pump. We played six rounds of golf on the two courses, the Cromwell and the Abbotsley both were in great condition. A bit to much golf for the old chaps as thet got tired. Well worth a visit if you

play golf.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 5 May 2013

24 of us enjoyed 3 days here in April. 2 good golf courses, acceptable bedrooms, good food and friendly staff. This is an ideal venue for golfers but not really suitable for non-golfers. Overall excellent value.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2013

A group of us stayed over Easter and enjoyed our stay. The hotel is clean with generous-sized rooms, fairly basic but acceptable. The food was better than expected and although we were on a 'package' there was a fairly large choice. We had a problem on one evening when a few of us were unable to have hot showers/baths because the water ran out. Management said that this was unusual and caused by the group wanting to shower at the same time (surely this happens often when a golfing group use the hotel?) They compensated us with 2 bottles of wine (undrinkable plonk) between the 20 of us but also offered to make other rooms available to us that still had hot water. One minor grouch, the en-suites had one tiny tablet of soap, for two people. Why would a hotel risk disappointing guests for the sake of a few pence for extra soap? It's petty.
The golf courses were OK and perfectly acceptable for a golfing weekend with friends. Nobody will rave obout the courses or add them to their 'must play' list but they are OK.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travellersgb
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We booked a room on booking.com and the pictures showed a nice comfortable room. Unfortunately there was a conference on midweek meaning that we were shoved into their annex. For somewhere that is meant to be up-market and host weddings I was unimpressed.

It was cold, bed sheets were dated and there wasn't even a duvet/blanket to be found. The toilets were clean but dated and the room looked like it hadn't been used in years. The televisions wasn't modern and was unwatchable due to the fact it was sat below the bed, way below eye level. This hotel that I had seen on websites was no where to be found and was nothing like the pictures. Cheap bathroom amenities (toilet paper) ,consumables and fittings

Tea and coffee making facilities were a joke, now you may laugh but I always like a nice biscuit after I've travelled a distance to a hotel, there were none.

After speaking to the receptionist regarding a possible room swap I was told that none were available and that we were already in the overflow annex which is the part of the hotel you use when the conference you have running takes up the nice part of the hotel. I questioned why I had to stay in the part of the hotel you seldom use and not the other guests.

It wasn't a nice place to be or even spend the night so we decided to leave. I have never left a hotel in my life as I tend to research the website for pictures and read reviews on trip advisor, my room clearly isn't shown on either.

After a month I received my deposit back, nobody addressed the problem, nobody apologised for our disappointing stay so I felt obligated to leave this review.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank miss_kambe
Helen L, Manager at Abbotsley Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

I am sorry that you didn't like our Hotel.I am very proud to be able to say that our team off staff work tirelessly to make sure that all guests are made welcome and will go out of their way to make ensure that your stay is comfortable.Some of the comments that you are making are quite untrue.
All our beds have duvets,and there are extra blankets and pillows in the wardrobes.Our linen is provided by a reputable laundry company.There is always tea coffee and hot chocolate available in your room.As far as a 1star rating for location goes we are as the name suggests a golf hotel and we are situated in the middle of 250 acres of countryside which is about as good as it gets. We do not have an annexe, you had been allocated a room in the hotel block which is less than 10 years old and there were no conference bookings that evening.
I hope that anyone reading this will take a look at our other reviews.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Neots
#1 of 9 in Huntingdon
The Lion Hotel
The Lion Hotel
#1 of 2 in Buckden

Been to Abbotsley Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!