“Nice stay”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in St Neots
yorkshire
“Nice stay”
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Room decorated very nicely and clean throughout although somewhat cramped. Swinging cats is not an option. Breakfasts excellent.

Evening meals not offered but the owners recommend the nearby Chequers Inn. We went and both of us had a digusting meal. I had simple sausage & mash which looked like breakfast leftovers reheated. My wife had fish & chips. The fish was hard/overcooked with oven chips. On complaining the response was less than apologetic but nevertheless we paid less than half the bill.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank golfnut100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Barr, France
Reviewed 25 August 2010

See MangoLust's review with which I completely concur, I was part of the same family group and I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, here's why.
I have spent far too many nights in good/bad/indifferent hotels over the years but can honestly say that I have rarely been made to feel so welcome in any hotel, anywhere. The rooms are modern, clean, hotel's location is ideal for a wander into town etc., but what really makes this place is the warmth of hospitality shown the family who run the hotel, Norma, Kevin and their daughter Louisa McMinn.
They actually enjoy running this hotel, they enjoy people staying at the hotel and are clearly very enthusiastic about what they do and this is reflected in the service they provide.
I will go out of my way to stay in this hotel again. Visiting Cambridge? Stay here and take the bus!
By the way, Mangolust failed to mention that, despite serving an excellent English breakfast, the proprietors were quite happy to satisfy his request (far enough in advance....) for berries and yoghurt. Why didn't he ask for mango remains a mystery, I am sure they would have found one for him!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We were fortunate to be able to book the entire hotel for the weekend of a family wedding. Kevin, Norma and daughter Louisa, could not have been more welcoming nor genuinely interested in accommodating our every need. As a very frequent business traveller and non resident owner of a small hotel myself, I am qualified to rate the rooms as comfortable, immaculately clean and of a good functional size for our stay of four days.

By coincidence, Kevin inaugurated his small Resident's bar during our family's stay and it proved an excellent meeting point. The hotel is uniquely located just a few minutes walk from St.Neots' Market Sq and makes an excellent base for business or touring visitors alike. I have no hesitation in recommending The Nag's Head and would comment additionally for a earlier reviewer: the WiFi works perfectly, but my iPad required me to stand close to the router by the kitchen window to join the network, it was then fine anywhere inside or in the grounds.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 18 August 2010

My bf and I stayed here for 1 night only arriving early evening, quick change, straight out returning early hours of the morning. Ate breakfast and left the morning after.
That is by no means a reflection on the hotel. The owner was super friendly on arrival. I asked for some more milk for the room (those small jiggars are of no use to a woman who likes copious amounts of milky tea!) and he brought me a jug of milk no problem.
Room was clean and a good size for the two of us. Maps and details in the room of the local area were excellent. Bathroom was not terribly modern, but was lovely and clean.
I wasn't a fan of the laminate flooring in the room, noisy and not very warm, but on the plus side I suppose that made it easy to clean, and it was nice and clean. Not what I'd have in my own room but when you are staying elsewhere for 1 night, its all about the cleanliness for me. The flooring only caused a problem in the middle of the night when I could hear the occupants of one of the neighbouring rooms walking around. But that probably disturbed for all of 2 minutes.
Breakfast was lovely. Cereals and juice, various breads to help youself to for toasting in the dining room, BIG pot of tea :), and a nice cooked breakfast. Not much in the way of continental, but the owner is so nice, I'm sure if you requested this when you arrived he would easily accomodate you.
Didnt try the wi-fi. TV was fine, we only had it on in the background while getting ready to go out. The tv shelf was a bit dodgy when I put things on it (not whats its for!), only supported by one bracket, not two. If you stay in room 12 you might want to point that out to the owner, I forgot when we left :)

Having said all that... my review is very positive. Good friendly service, clean hotel and a great breakfast. We were down in St. Neots for a dancing event in Buckden (15 mins drive away) and if we come down and need an overnight stay again I wouldnt hesitate in booking this hotel again or in recommending it to friends.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I booked this hotel as a handy place to return to after my cousin's wedding, for me and my boyfriend and my parents.

Our room was a little disappointing as it was a bit old fashioned and not as described on the website where the modern rooms are displayed, however I understand Kevin is trying to update all the rooms, and I guess this will take time and money. That said, our room was very clean, with everything you need for an overnight stay. We had a TV, kettle with tea and coffee, wardrobe, etc.

The thing that makes this place good is the service. Kevin is one of the friendliest hoteliers you could imagine, and he treats you as if you are an old friend- very welcoming and likeable.

Breakast was good, lots of choice and tasty, set us up for our journey home to Manchester.

All in all a good stay and very good value. We would definitely return if we were planning to visit our family again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Hull
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Better value and friendlier alternative to Premier inns with comfy beds and excellent breakfast. Close to town centre too. Definitely worth a try!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Rochdale, England
Reviewed 25 June 2009

The double room was tiny and smelled of damp on entry. There was no bath - shower only, plus 1970s style fittings.
The old fashioned small tv could only receive the five terrestrial channels, and the advertised "free wi-fi" only worked downstairs in the public lounge.
The mattress was Travel Lodge style - ie not very comfortable, and to be honest, I found the previous reviews to be rather ott for this very average B & B.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
#6 of 9 in Huntingdon
The Sharnbrook Hotel
The Sharnbrook Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sharnbrook

Been to Nags Head Hotel? Share your experiences!