“What a Good Hostelry Should Be”
Review of Hare and Hounds

Hare and Hounds
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wisbech
Hare and Hounds
Ranked #9 of 12 Wisbech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Wanted somewhere to take my brother in Wisbech where we could relax, chat and have lunch and having experienced the fabulous welcome here before, chose The Hare and Hounds. Neither of us were disappointed and in fact, stayed for the duration of the lunchtime opening hours! The welcome and fantastic customer service by the landlady and her mother were second to none and almost impossible to find anywhere these days. Lunch was excellent, home made and very reasonably priced (Whitby scampi and Chilli recommended!) and the real ale well kept. Being a hot, sunny day, we spent the majority of the time sat outside in the beautiful area at the rear of the hotel which was peaceful, relaxing and perfect for a chat and catch up. I am so pleased I chose The Hare and Hounds as it absolutely made my brother's visit perfect and I have no doubt as to where to take future visitors.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Fantastic stay the other night. I have been to the Hare and Hounds several times for meals and drinks and always found it clean, good value for money and with friendly service to boot!

Stayed for one night in one of their generously sized rooms and slept like a baby. Rooms are well kitted out and cosily decorated, with absolutely no noise interference from the pub below or the road outside which I was very pleased about, having had a long day!

Everything is spotless and the beds comfortable. The landlady and her team are very obliging and did everything they could to make my stay enjoyable, which it certainly was. Right in the centre of town, so convenient to come and go as you please.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my couple of days here. All the people I've met have been genuinely welcoming, helpful and funny. Without being nosey, intrusive or weird. It's a tough combination to achieve.

That goes for all the bar staff, of whom I met four. All of them, incidentally, were also good at pulling pints, clearing tables and answering the phone whilst continuing to serve. It goes for the landlady, who seems to know and be liked by pretty much everyone in town. And the cleaning lady, who cleaned everything well in addition to being personable.

It even goes for the bar's punters and my fellow hotel guests, who were likeable, sociable, and clearly enjoyed being there too. One evening featured a cribbage club in the back room, with long-term players patiently teaching a newbie.

Caveats? This may not be the ideal venue for a romantic weekend. Or for showing off what you spent on a resort hotel. But it sorted me out without breaking the bank.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Yesterday my wife and I looked for a place to lunch in Wisbech. On a coach trip, a warm day. Very friendly and hard working Landlady. Two excellent salads, one ham one scampi, both very tasty generous portions and excellent vfm. Highly recommended, but get there early as it closes @ 2pm for lunches. The landlady was lovely

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jethro1948
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Stayed for one night arriving very late. Jacqui , the owner was very welcoming 'its not the Ritz you know'. True, but then the Ritz doesn't charge £25. No breakfast but essentials were present, Clean crisp bedding, central heating on all night, toasty warm and a good hot shower. Ample coffee. Only gripe would be shared bathroom and no coffee or kettle in room but on the landing outside. Woodchip decor and perhaps corners could do with a dust but for the money this was bang on the money , and with the super friendly welcome would definently come back. Added bonus, its on the best street in town with Peckover house a couple of doors down, great architecture and good parking. I hear the fooods excellent too.

Room Tip: Front over the Brink, def best
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank dhdCambridge
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stopped here for lunch on our way to visit Peckover House. We found a really warm welcome, well cooked and very reasonable food and friendly service. We would certainly return to this pub if we visit Wisbeach in the future

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patfagence
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I came here with my mother and I thought the new refurbishment was nice and homely and the land lady was very welcoming, staff all round nice and polite. The home made chilli is something special recommended greatly with the chunky chips and stilton and the sweetr chilli chicken panini was enjoyed very much, Both meals were great value for the price and will be going back again soon :-)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family