“Work Over night stay”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wisbech
Ware, United Kingdom
“Work Over night stay”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I can't say more than friendly reception, excellent service very friendly bar and bar staff.
Room a bit small but adequate. The room was warm and comfortable.
Next time I go there I will try to stay at this establishment without any doubt...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Durham
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The staff were very friendly and I could not fault them during my stay of around 3 weeks. I chose this hotel as it is pet friendly so I could take my dog to work with me. The breakfast was good but the evening meals very average. As I was eating here often you could find meals that were of better quality than others and the chef would cook me up anything I wanted if not on the menu. I guess that I was located above the bar area as I had my dog with me and this is sort of seperated from the main rooms. I could frequently hear music past midnight while staying here but as I sleep very well this wasn't much of an issue for me but could be for others.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet night sleep then ask for a room away from the bar area.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Overall I have rated this hotel as very good. We only stayed the one night and I don't think this was a typical night as the hotel had a wedding party in, which presented some challenges for them! The staff were really good. Debbie was excellent, very friendly and concerned to make sure that we had the best room so that we weren't disturbed by the function. I have rated the sleep quality as poor because we were disturbed by other guests at 2.30am, shouting and banging around. I have to say though, I don't think this is typical of the hotel, so don't be put off. The front of the hotel could do with a face lift but once inside, it is friendly and welcoming. The breakfast was very nice, although it might have been nice to drink tea from tea cups and not coffee cups. The staff seem a little stretched and there were some minor maintenance requirements that needed attention.

Room Tip: Ask for a room river facing if possible, otherwise you are looking out on to the car park.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Just stayed for a night but it was just what we needed - a friendly hotel with good staff and a very nice brekfast. The room was a bit small without a wardrobe but as we were passing through that didn't matter - would have been a tight fit if we were staying longer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Arriving at the hotel we were a bit apprehensive as it looked run down from the outside but what a wonderful surprise it was. You can tell the place has recently been refurbished and it looks great. We arrived earlier than expected but they were happy to accomodate us and let us into our rooms early. My b/f's mum has tablets that need to be kept in a fridge and the manager even managed to find her a little fridge put in her room. The rooms were very big and the ensuites were also big and roomy.
We were also told we could come down anytime we liked for breakfast in the morning. This was defintely a plus as we came to Wisbech for a wedding and was expecting a late night.
The only problem was noisiness and this is the reason why I did not give them 5 stars. They were having a company party at the hotel and people were being nosy into the early hours of the morning. Luckily I was very tired so managed to sleep through most of the noise.
If you are ever in Wisbech I would recommend this hotel but make sure they aren't having any functions there.

Room Tip: Ask for room 101 - it is not near the streets
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We had my brothers wedding here and the family and I cannot fault the venue, staff, food or service at all. With 12 years in hospitality I am normally very picky however on this occasion I couldn't find fault. We stayed the night before and was made very welcome, offered assistance to rooms with bags and suit carriers. The rooms were clean, well maintained, spacious and modern. The shower was great and the bed was very comfy. On the big day, the manager John and his team couldn't have helped any more, even to the fact of offering breakfast a bit later so we didn't have to get up so early as we stayed in the bar rather late. The breakfast was amazing, great fry up but there was an option of fruit and cereal aswell to take while waiting for hot food as freshly cooked. All round John and his team couldn't have been better during our stay. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2012
Plakias, Greece
Reviewed 31 October 2012

My sister and I stayed there in August, to attend a family wedding. The reception was held at the hotel.

We booked a twin room for two nights, about three or more months before the wedding. My sister has slight mobility problems, the hotel has no lift, so her Grandson looked at the rooms, and chose one for her.

Four weeks before the wedding, we were told that there was no room available for the first of the two nights. The parents of the young couple were so upset that they looked for another venue - but could find nothing. We were told that we would be booked into a B and B; and given a bottle of wine and the services of a porter and driver as an apology. The Manageress confirmed this when we arrived.

We arrived on the Friday, and about 6pm were given a lift to the B and B, by Danny. We weren't expected, and both my sister and I felt that we would not have been given a room if we'd been a young couple. The room we were given was on the second floor, and naturally there was no lift. By the way, the B and B was excellent. Fabulous breakfast.

About 1130 on Saturday morning, we were told that our room at the White Lion was ready. That was a great relief, as we were having our hair and faces done in our room at midday. Danny, who had taken us over there the previous night, and also seemed to be chief barman, cook, handyman, and receptionist, collected us. The room was not the one originally offered, it was on the second floor, which was difficult for my sister.The twin room was actually a double with the two beds separated, so the only hanging space was above one of the beds, and the other had a double headboard along most of the side of it. It was on the street, which is a main road, and had flies on the windowsills. The shower room was amazing, black marble and glass, plenty big enough for a bath but had nowhere to put towels and actually getting hot water was difficult. It needed two visits from staff to get a shower. It was a hot day, and we were offered a drink as soon as we arrived. It took an age to arrive.

We were asked if we were happy with the B and B, but not by the Manageress who'd spoken to us the previous day. It was the Manager. We were, but said we were not expected and did not receive the promised bottle of wine. More apologies, and a promise that we'd get the wine in our room that night.

The wedding and reception were great. Bar service was very slow - all of us said they'd sell a lot more if they racked up the service.

There was no bottle of wine in our room that night.

Breakfast was ok. Nowhere near as good as the B and B.

When we booked out, we did expect that the Manager would be there to apologize for the fact that our expectations were not met. He wasn't, it was poor Danny. We explained again about the lack of promised wine. We were offered one immediately, but said we didn't want one - it would get warm in the car, so got a discount equal to the cost of wine from their bar.

We would not go back. It's overpriced, and needs a decent manager.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cretamania
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wisbech
Elme Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Downham Market
The Elm Tree Inn
The Elm Tree Inn
#1 of 12 in Wisbech

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!