“Lovely staff”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wisbech
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed in the lodge for a party at the hotel as it's the newer part of the hotel we thought maintenance would not be an issue rooms were clean and adequate for a 2 night stay I had a shower not a problem the shower head was down low already when my husband went to have one who is six foot had to move the shower head up and it wouldn't stay up it kept falling down we complained to reception and they sent a lovely young lady to try fix it as the maintenance guy had gone home she couldn't so offered us another room we moved to that one and the shelf and shaving light were broke in this one but we stayed there and told reception in the morning these are minor things they are easy to fix and we shouldn't have to complain about them and all rooms should be checked for the tiniest maintenance job before you put paying customers in them .the hotel itself is lovely and breakfast is nice especially the cooked breakfast if you want fried egg make sure you ask them for one they will cook it for you no problem .

Room Tip: Just check general maintenance before you unpack and get in the shower
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
muguetu, Manager at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay, I am glad the minor issues were resolved, as you appreciate we can never predict when an electric light bulb/lamp is going to fail, as pointed out the showers are on a slide rail and positioned by tightening the thumbs screw, which had been completely unscrewed and loosened, we are glad this did not detract from an enjoyable stay.
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

My Husband and I have just spent a very comfortable one night stay in this established Hotel 2nd November to 3rd November. It was our Golden Wedding Anniversary, and with family along with us, we enjoyed a really lovely 3 course meal in the special room put aside for us all to enjoy. The reception staff, and Manager greeted us and were charming and friendly, and most of all very helpful, Our rooms were comfortable, clean, and tastefully furnished , with plenty of extra bedding, heating, and coffee and tea making facilities, huge Plasma TV, and a comfy bed we had the Executive room in the main part of the building. While the rest of our party had double rooms in a newer part of the Hotel to the side. We had a set priced dinner for all 15 of us, of £11.95p with a selection of three meals on each course of a three course meal. Plenty of good tasty home cooked meals, and the peppered Pork was delicious!
The breakfast was again plentiful, the selection of cereals, fresh drinks, and full English was buffet style, and again delicious, and the staff who served us with the hot beverages, were friendly and efficient to all. I really cannot fault this Hotel, you really do get what it says and more to my estimation, I would recommend this highly that's why I give it 5* it deserves it, and in the future if we have anymore celebrations this Hotel will be first on our list to book.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
muguetu, Manager at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay and restaurant experience. I was good to hear all went well for your special evening.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Gravesend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here for three nights with my wife whilst we helped my daughter redecorate her house. We stayed in an executive room at the back of the main building. This was a huge room with a nice seating area and a very comfortable bed. Because it was at the back of the hotel there was only a view over a roof, but against that it was very quiet. No road noise at all. The bathroom was somewhat rudimentary. It had obviously been added to the room at some stage and was fairly basic. Plenty of hot water, but no shelf space to put things on and only a basic over the bath shower.Although to be fair it worked fine. Which the extractor fan did not.
The breakfasts were very good, friendly efficient staff and a wide choice of food. The hot food was well cooked and there was a good choice of cereals and cold meats, fruit and cheese. If I have one small complaint it was that they seemed to run out of rolls very quickly and they did not appear to be replaced.
I was very tempted to grade the hotel as excellent but the small points I mention above were enough to just downgrade it to very good.
Having said that it is one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at in the UK and we shall be back.

Room Tip: Executive rooms at the rear of the main building are big, comfortable and very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
muguetu, General Manager at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for leaving a such a nice review of your recent stay with us.
I am glad everything went so well and that you enjoyed a peaceful sleep.
Maintenance has checked the fan and it seems to be working now, albeit controlled by the bathroom light switch. These fans are located in a trunking some distance away from the bathrooms and are hard to actually hear, but we will keep an eye on it.
We bake off various types of bread rolls and croissants each morning and just like the rest of the complimentary breakfast we replenish with freshly prepared items as a particular item runs down.
Sometimes there can be a delay if we have a sudden rush of guests all selecting a particular item, but in all instances we have our waitresses on hand if a problem arises.
We do live on the premises and are available 24/7 by telephoning the number(s) given on your guest registration card this would enable us to correct any problems on your first night.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Dover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We have been staying at Elme Hall on and off over the past 12 months when visiting my elderly parents who live locally.
We have a very long drive up and always look forward to the warm reception, a good powerful hot shower and the first evening in the lounge after drinks and dinner.
We have stayed in both the new modern Lodge and the more traditional main Hotel, in all cases service is always top notch.
My parents join us for the set 3 course evening dinner usually on our second night and we can often get their favourite request put on which is very accommodating for a meal costing under £12.
Beds in both buildings are extremely comfortable and we always enjoy a peaceful night's sleep which ever room we chose.
The owners are always around for a chat which adds another plus compared to some of the clinical chain operators.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent and priced according to facilities offered
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
We are so glad your recent stay went so well and that we are maintaining our standards. It's nice to know your parents enjoyed their meal with us, we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed here for a week on business. Initially I booked into the lodge but the receptionist "upgraded me" to the main hotel. The roads flanking the hotel on 2 sides are very busy roads day and night and unfortunately with timber frame single glazing the traffic noise is noticeable. The staff are as everyone says, great and very helpful. The actual place has a strange uninspiring feel- I think it’s the dark 80's parquet flooring and deep red carpeting which seems to drag the atmosphere down a bit. Breakfast was a hot buffet style so go for the cereals is my advice! My twin bedded bedroom was spacious and ok but a couple of cracked windows and dead butterfly in the corner, means the cleaning and repair quality could be improved perhaps! I had to remove the butterfly myself after 1 day as could not cope with it subletting with me
There are some nice restaurants close by if you don't want to eat there at night.

Room Tip: try any at the back of the hotel away from the roads.
muguetu, Owner at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for taking time out to review your recent business stay at the Hotel, I am glad the staff were able to upgrade you, unfortunately all the quieter back rooms in the main Hotel had already been booked when you requested your upgrade.
As you will have noticed we are situated in a rural location surrounded by fields and gardens and with the unusually high autumn temperatures the odd butterfly had found it's way through your open windows.
I am sorry you were not comfortable with the polished Hardwood floors throughout the ground floor areas and indeed the colour of the stair carpet, these being loyal to the traditional Georgian style of the main Hotel . Unlike soft floor coverings, the wooden floors allow daily cleaning and complete sanitisation, especially in the bars and restaurant areas. In hindsight perhaps you might have been more comfortable in the New Lodge, where you were originally booked, as here you will have found the Carpeted Floors, Contemporary Décor, pastel shades and upvc double glazing that you felt were lacking in the main building.
I have passed your kind compliments and comments on to our staff, who all look forward to greeting you again at Elme Hall..
Regards Owner
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

My first stay at the Elme Hall Lodge and what a refreshing change to stay in a Hotel that considers it’s guest’s comfort and wellbeing above all else.We were a group of businessmen and our company had provisionally reserved rooms elsewhere, but on passing the beautiful Elme Hall, we looked at each other and just drove into the property to check it out.When we saw the Free Wifi, free parking and full breakfast included, we checked into the New Elme Hall Lodge, which is a sort of up-market Premier Inn but £30.00 a night cheaper when you consider the extras charged by the chain operators. The Lodge rooms are new and kept in very clean and nice condition with a pair of armchairs, work area, large flat screen TV and very fast WiFi, I wish my shower at home gave me the drenching we enjoyed here, The bed was first class and the room very quiet overlooking the gardens. We all had the 3-course fixed price evening meal
and Full breakfast was extensive and nicely presented. Meals were taken in the Main Elme Hall Hotel building. Whilst there we made full use of the excellent Lounge for our pre-meeting briefing. A most pleasurable and successful stay with all our needs professionally taken care of by a well trained and polite team.
Next stay I will bringing my Wife to sample one of the 4 poster Jacuzzi Suites in the main hotel for our anniversary..
A Peaceful family run Hotel at it’s best!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden are very quiet, although traffic was minimal after 8PM anyway.
muguetu, Owner at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
It was nice to read your review of your recent stay with us in the New Lodge, it is nice to see all our targets being achieved in providing good, clean modern accommodation at the right price.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon
Best Regards
The Owner.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I had the pleasure of staying two nights at this very well run Hotel (7th & 8th October). I found the staff were a complete credit to the Hotel, and wished all hotels were run like this one. At breakfast the staff were again a joy to have, also the breakfast was well worth waiting for, it was a buffet style complete with a lovely pot of tea. Thank you for giving me good value for money stay, something that is sadly missing at many hotels in our country.

Richard Barcz

richbarcz@hotmail.com

Room Tip: you can not go wrong by staying here
muguetu, Owner at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Your review is much appreciated, we are pleased to have ticked all the boxes regarding staff efficiency, quality of food and value for money. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Regards
Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wisbech
The Rose and Crown Hotel
#2 of 15 in King's Lynn
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Downham Market

Been to Elme Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!