“Do t be taken in !!”
Review of Elme Hall Hotel

Elme Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wisbech
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I travel all over the country, and stop in as many hotels as 3 a week.
I write a review about every hotel I visit, and always give an honest and true reflection in my opinion of that visit.
My company on occasions will pre book my hotel, although I prefer to see the hotel myself before booking.
This hotel was pre booked for me.
When I looked on the trip advisor review for the Elme hall hotel, the picture of the front of the hotel looks very impressive, so I thought wow this looks great !
Sadly on entering the grounds those first impressions take over !
The driveway is gravel, with weeds growing through it, a sure indication that the hotel lacks TLC.
Walking around the hotel outside confirmed my thoughts.... That if looked how can I say .. Tatty cones to mind.
Going into the hotel didn't make me feel any better. The whole ambiance of the place left me cold !!
The receptionist informed me that I would be staying in what she called the lodge and not inside the main building.
There were lights that were not wrinkling as we walked down the corridor.... Not exactly safe !
When entering the room. Needless to say u was not impressed. Small and claustrophobic cones to mind.
I requested a larger room, to which her response was that she could offer me an upgrade in the main building.
At this point. Of what I had experienced so far. I wasn't expecting anything special !
And yes it was exactly "as expected". A horrible room with miss matched furniture and Nothing that made be feel I wanted to stay in this hotel any longer.
At this point I informed the receptionist I wouldn't be staying here, to which she advised me that my pre payment could not be refunded..... They would have had to pay me to stay there !!!
As I said at the beginning, this is only my opinion, other people with less standards might think the complete opposite !!
I can only hope that managers and owners of hotels actually take notice of reviews, and take it on board the feelings and expectations of visitors to their establishment, and not try to gloss over them as if we are telling lies !!!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
10  Thank Mikeybabe
muguetu, Owner at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your observations, it's a pity you never even stayed to give us a chance of an accurate review based on a real stay.
It's unfortunate that you never wanted to stay in our Hotel n the first place, at check-in you mentioned you had preferred to stay in your usual Hotel, but it was your company who had insisted on moving you to one of our budget rooms in our Lodge.
We are in a very fertile soil area and weeds are regularly sprayed and kept to a minimum, but in this growing season they can spring up in a day, I cannot see how this makes the hotel "tatty"
Your comments regarding the "Wrinkling Lights" [sic] are not clear, this was mid afternoon and they would hardly need to be full on.
At your request you were shown larger rooms in the main Hotel, where you seemed to have your sights set anyway however the executive was not executive enough and the super executive Suites were too executive (expensive) for your company's budget.
It is surprising to receive such a scathing review from someone that never even stayed or wanted to give us a chance., I wish you and your employers all the best in your endeavours to do business in the area.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Staff were so polite helpful, couldnt do enough for you,
Room was spotless comfertble perfert for the price
Breakfast was excellent, The owner (Manager) came and spoke to us at breakfast asked if all was ok, not in our faces at all just a perfect stay in every way.
A 5 star service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
muguetu, Guest Relations Manager at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hello and thank you for your kind review, it's nice to receive a pat on the back, I will pass your comments onto our team and we look forward greeting you again soon

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were a group of 10 people, who stayed for 3 nights as we were working in the area.

The picture of the hotel looks like a stately home, which it probably was once. The public rooms are lovely, well proportioned with huge windows. We didn't see the bedrooms there as we were allocated rooms in an annexe, which I named The Little House on the Prairie. It was 50m from the main building across a gravel car park that was like a lake for most of our stay after heavy rain. Note to the manager: please fill in the potholes.

We had to pre order our meals the week before, for the three night stay. Why? We arrived after a long drive, practically swam across the car park and before we checked in the receptionist said she had a message from the chef wanting to know if we wanted, cream, squirty cream, ice cream or custard with our pudding! Strange! Aren't they all kitchen staples?

The Little House on the Prairie, although clean, except for the very dusty Venetian blinds, was rather like university accommodation. The doors needed to be locked with a key, no automatic locking. I was concerned as a fire escape door near my room on the ground floor was propped open with a bit of wood and used as a thoroughfare for staff as it was nearer the main house. Despite me disposing of the wood and closing the door, on several occasions, it kept being propped open. The hotel is on the main A47 and although there was a gate it would have been easy to gain access.

There was a comfortable double bed, but the lighting was appalling, no lamps, just two dull, inadequate ceiling lights and over bed spot lights. The bathroom had nowhere to put anything, except a tiny glass shelf which sloped, so everything fell off. On the positive side, the shower was good and there was plenty of storage plus tea and coffee making facilities.

The breakfast was lovely, however, fresh fruit rather than tinned would have been appreciated. The young lady serving was polite and attentive.

The evening meals were variable. Despite the pre order, everything was overcooked. Inedible pasta, dry chicken and fish, although the curry we had one night was lovely. The salads were what your granny would serve. Lettuce, tomato, cucumber. Totally unimaginative. If the chef needs notice of what he/she has to cook, needs to know what people want on their puddings before they check in and over cooks basics like pasta, chicken and fish, I suggest some training is in order.

The bar had no comfortable chairs and had the feel of a canteen.

One evening we sat in the lounge and at 21.40, went to the bar to get another drink, but everything was locked up.

The hotel seemed to cater for people, working in the area, or lorry drivers passing trough from the Continent. We were disturbed at 4 am every morning by a lorry starting up. The car park was full of vans. Breakfast full of men with dusty boots and clothes.

I can't imagine anyone staying here for pleasure. However, all the staff were polite.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kim_sunseeker
muguetu, Owner at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hmmm Stranger Review... It is always pleasing to get a review from a guest, more so when it is positive, but your negative review has really taken our attention, especially when it is so at odds with other glowing reviews and with the daily feedback my staff and myself received from your particular group.
Your accommodation was booked as a budget deal including a £12.00 a day evening meal allowance, which is why you were located in the Lodge, rather than in the executive rooms in the "stately home" main building, you were offered upgrades but these were declined, as "out of budget".
As it was a requirement that you all needed to sit down at the same instant for you dinner each evening, a pre-order from the pre-approved budget menu was necessary, however on occasions the group were late arriving and dinners would have suffered keeping them hot, hence your meal being variable.
The fire escape door nearest the building (10 metres not 50) was left open during mealtimes to give you group easier access to and from the restaurant in view of the heavy torrential rain storms we were experiencing , which did in fact cause a few puddles, not a lake, during your stay.
You had full access to the large lounge (leather sofas and easy chairs) and private dining room throughout your stay but preferred to sit on the firmer bar/dining chairs instead.
Our bedroom door locks are designed to be locked with a key, this avoids accidental lock outs and the problems associated with other paper key failures. Most guests prefer to lock their belongings in using a 5 lever lock, than a "slam closed " device that can be easily slipped open.
We remain disappointed that you choose to voice your negative comments on the web without mentioning any problems during your extended stay, as it is now very difficult to address or correct your problems. We normally close bars off when the last customer turnsin, but are more than willing to keep them open later if guests request this, in fact some of your group drank in to the early hours on occasions.
We would not normally re-open bars if a guest or group decided to wander over for a drink after bars have been cleaned and bar staff left.
As owners living on the premises we are always happy to discuss with our guests any area that would make their stay more enjoyable, we do have guests from every walk of life and do not actively discriminate a guest by his employment status, we simply offer a wide range of facilities and these are obviously "guest budget" dependant.
We hope your organisation will consider the "executive" rooms and facilities for any future stays.

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I visited the Elme Hall Hotel, staying in a family room. We arrived late in the evening, we were made to feel very welcome by the lady on the desk who even offered to carry our bags to the room. The room was beautiful, clean and comfortable. In the morning their was a fantastic choice for breakfast, the full English was amazing. The hotel even prepared a packed lunch for the children free of charge. All the staff were polite, and helpful. We will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dan m
muguetu, Manager at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for your kind review, the staff and management read take every review seriously , we use them to hone our future performance,
Hope to welcome you and your family again soon.
Best Wishes.

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Arrived late in the evening and the night porter (cedric) could not have been more helpful. Explained we had had a 6 hour journey and we were to late for the restaurant but would he be able to arrange a sandwich.
After booking us in he said he would see what he could arrange. He came to our room and explained that he had arranged for us to have a cooked meal.
He recommended the steak which we accepted and was excellent.
The service he provided was second to none.
The rooms were spotless and all amenities provided. Only downside was the rooms were very warm with no air flow.
Breakfast was good and the service was attentive.
I would book and use again without hesitation.
Cedric made our stay above average and is a credit to the hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Poshbir
muguetu, Public Relations Manager at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

We are so pleased you have taken time to review your stay with us, I have passed your kind comments on to Cedric, he says Hi.
It is nice to know that our late night reception and services to guests is so appreciated.
We hope to welcome you again soon.
Bye Bye

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Ideal base for touring the area. We had bed & breakfast, which was very good - cooked or continental breakfast buffet. The bedroom is adequate for a 2 - 3 night stay. very welcoming staff and the rooms were cleaned everyday. We stayed for three nights and went and visited different towns each day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carol h
muguetu, General Manager at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Hello and thank you for your kind review, we are glad our heavy investment has culminated in so many positive reviews of the new Lodge. Pleased that our location gave you an ideal base for touring the area during your extended stay.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

we found the room well equipped and could easily accommodate an electric wheelchair the bathroom exceeded our expectation . with a full turning circle for wheelchair ..and loads of handrails...the staff were helpful ..I would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
muguetu, Owner at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking time out to submit a review on your recent stay in one of our disabled bedrooms. As you are aware, the Lodge is a new facility and as such exceed the requirements under the DDA allowing easy access to the room and it's bathing facilities. We have various rooms suited to the particular needs of physically challenged guests located on the ground floor.
We look forward welcoming you again soon.
Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wisbech
The Rose and Crown Hotel
#2 of 15 in King's Lynn
Knights Hill Hotel & Spa
Knights Hill Hotel & Spa
#3 of 15 in King's Lynn

Been to Elme Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!