“Good facilities, pleasant stay for business”

The Rose and Crown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wisbech
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good facilities, pleasant stay for business”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

For a one night stopover I was more than happy, spacious room at the rear of the hotel with room to spread out and do a bit of work. Parking to the rear of the hotel was easy to find.

Evening meal was quite nice, breakfast delicious and served quickly. staff were very friendly, overall a positive experience and good value for money.

Room Tip: The welcome info indicates market traders to the front of the hotel from 4am 2 days a week so worth...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NornIronOnTour
TheRoseandCrownHotel, Manager at The Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
The Rose & Crown Hotel is an ideal location for business people visiting Wisbech and we are delighted that you found your 1-night stay to your satisfaction. Come back and see us soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Thirsk, Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Everyone else's review make the hotel sound fantastic BUT while I agree totally about the extremely friendly and efficient staff - all the waitress seem to be of Czech origin and were charming - and the food was superb the actual rooms leave a lot to be desired - in my book!

Not low cost - for a northerner - at £75 B&B rate - the room may have been refurbished 'only 2 years ago' but whoever did the design on it must have used early 50s choice of carpet material and wallpaper. The amount of water that had come through the ceiling of my room had not only left a serious stain but the paper had separated from the ceiling. One semi serious point is that the flex for the kettle was so short the kettle could not be placed on the adjacent desk - any child could in theory trip over the kettle lead resulting in a potential scald.

Do NOT go to the hotel on a Wednesday or Friday night unless you are assured the room you have booked does not overlook the marketplace as there are notices in the rooms stating all cars have to be out of the marketplace by 0400 as that is the time the traders arrive to set up. As the glazing is single that will be the end of any sleep!

The food was a revelation though - how rarely do you get a super super steak - well hung meat, a great size and simply beautifully cooked - simply delicious! The breakfast also has to rate as one of the best I have ever had in any hotel - wherever the location or the cost! Friendly bar with locals also using it and pleasant old ambience in the dining room too.

Although I love my food I doubt that I will stay at the Rose & Crown again, sorry but it is a miss for me! Faded glory - rooms need redecorating - bedroom door paintwork all a bit sad!

Room Tip: Do not book unless you are guaranteed a room that does not overlook the marketplace!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank PJFR
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor and for highlighting some issues that obviously needed attention i.e. the ceiling where the leak came in. Unlike some parts of the country who suffered with major flooding, we were very lucky here in Wisbech to have got off lightly with a few leaks. The Rose & Crown dates back in parts to 1435. The ceiling was repaired and the room redecorated since your visit.

We are glad that you enjoyed our food and the good service you received during your stay. Do come back and give us another chance. I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This hotel is a gem. Rooms are full of character but still with all the mod cons you need. Hotel used to be a coaching inn and it has been tastefully decorated. Everything is spotlessly clean.Staff cannot do enough for you. We enjoyed all the food in the hotel and this is by far the best place to eat in wisbech. We will definately be returning as we have relatives nearby but would recommend this to anyone. Parking is great and the quality of hotel and service far surpasses it's price tag.Staff even made me a packed lunch at short notice so they really go the extra mile to make you feel at home.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are lovely and quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Your review is much appreciated and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you soon.
London, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel on an impromptu visit.

I found the accommodation to be comfortable and the room very clean and tidy. The staff were very friendly and helpful and they served me the most delightful afternoon tea that I would strongly recommend.

value was good as was my evening meal. In fact I would say that the food is what sets this hotel apart from other hotels I have used in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Yes at The Rose & Crown Hotel you can be assured of good value for money. We do have an excellent Head Chef and a great team in our kitchen who work hard at ensuring that we serve the best food in the area to all our guests and customers. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see again in the near future.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

On a recent business trip I needed a stay in Wisbech, UK.
After checking on TripAdvisor (honestly, where else!?!?) I found the Rose and Crown, a historical and centrally located Hotel, at a very competitive rate.
To be honest, I didnt expect a huge amount for my money, having had previous bad experience elsewhere.
Well, I was proven wrong! The Rose and Crown is a fabulous hotel, very nice rooms, modern, yet tastefully decorated, and with very welcoming staff, making every guest feel welcome and appreciated.
The restaurant is first class, with a menu to rival many vastly more expensive hotels.
So, if you can, please do stay and experience the Rose and Crown for yourself :-) It's worth it.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the main building, especially when it's wet outside....
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Many of our guests are business people either doing business in Wisbech or passing through. We pride ourselves on our customer service with good food, welcoming and pleasant accommodation and although the building itself is Grade II Listed all our rooms have modern showers and bathroom facilities which most people demand in all hotels these days.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and please be assured you will get the same good food, excellent service with comfortable accommodation.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed here in January while on a business trip to the surrounding area. What I need is a friendly, clean, comfortable and quiet hotel with a restaurant. If possible, I would also like the hotel to have a bar and parking.
I’m pleased to say that this hotel met or exceeded all these requirements. This hotel employs very friendly and courteous staff throughout.
My room (no. 316) was clean and the bed extremely comfortable. As my room was at the back I had an uninspiring view of the back of surrounding buildings but it was therefore quiet and I had a lovely night’s rest (my colleague’s room was at the front and she was woken at 5am by a truck unloading for the market (I think this is 3 days a week) but was not a major issue for her and she was happy with in her comfortable room (no. 313). My en-suite bathroom had a spacious walk in shower and good towels on a heated rail but I was disappointed with the water pressure which was only just adequate. TV was ok but signal broke up at times. Could not get the Wi-Fi signal but had good reception for my phone.
My colleague and I ate in the restaurant, the food was full of flavour and simply excellent and if I was in the area again I would aim to eat there.
As a middle aged, sometimes grumpy, businessman I can be quite fussy but I would not hesitate to stay at the Rose and Crown on business or with my wife on a weekend break.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank junty1960
Leigh Lancs
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed here last night on business and what a lovely little hotel. Just a pity I didn't have more time to explore the hotel more. I've stayed at other traditional hotels before and this one beats them all. Warm and friendly greeting at reception. If you have mobility issues, maybe this hotel isn't for you as there is no lift and the hotel has the most interesting period staircase I have ever seen ie its not very level lol. Had a meal in the bar with two coffees last night. Again professional service and top quality food at 21.95 I think ! for three courses.
yes the parking is limited but I parked straight away at Church Terrace and if you have limited luggage its not far away from the hotel
Well done Rose and Crown and this is certainly somewhere I would consider coming to for a leisure visit in the future

Room Tip: Room 303 - very little if any noise from outside from this one
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
TheRoseandCrownHotel, Manager at The Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Now that you have discovered this 'gem' I do hope you take time out to come for a leisurely stay.
You have given the hotel an excellent review and I am very happy that you had an enjoyable experience here at The Rose & Crown Hotel. We pride ourselves on our excellent service, great food and a relaxing ambience for busy business people. We do hope to see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wisbech
Elme Hall Hotel
The Dukes Head Hotel
#6 of 15 in King's Lynn
Best Western Plus Peterborough Orton Hall Hotel & Spa
The Oliver Cromwell Hotel

Been to The Rose and Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!