“not quite as expected”

Alderley Edge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alderley Edge
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My mother and I visited the Brasserie restaurant at the hotel,with my sister,who lives in the area ,and had enjoyed a very good evening there on a previous occasion.She recommended it to us and we booked a table,with 2 other friends.The restaurant was accomodating when we increased the party number by one,and changed the time by half an hour.The purpose of the visit was to catch up with old friends,eat some good food and enjoy a relaxed evening.The resataurant delivered with the ambience -we felt relaxed,there was no 'shout over' music and we were able to chat easily.However,we were disapponted with the food,which,although 'not bad' was lack-lustre to say the least.On arrival we were told there was no scampi/monkfish left(it was only 8.30 p.m-in a big hotel)and when I ordered the Shepherds pie,I was told that was also finished.The Brasserie menu was quite limited,possibly 6 mains,so to be told 2 of them were unavailable was not really acceptable.When the food arrived it looked,and tasted quite bland and portion sizes were 'small' I had ordered the 'suckling pig' -what arrived was 2 smallish pieces of what looked like belly pork,very fatty and with no crisp skin,tender to eat but fairly tasteless,accompanied by a 'smear' of mashed potato,a roast beetroot and turnip,both less in size than a golf ball,there must have been another veg ?but I don't remember it,and no 'stuffing'as advertised in the menu description.Edible,yes,disappointing,yes.Other mains fared the same-one of the party did have curry,which he said was tasty but nothing special.We had an enjoyable evening,as we were able to relax and chat but the food was not as expected.It could have been that they were having an 'off-night'-the place was pretty busy for a mid-week evening ,and relatives had enjoyed a good meal on a previous occasion.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Trudi S
There are newer reviews for Alderley Edge Hotel

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed here last Sunday night, following a Golden Wedding luncheon for friends. Since our suite wasn't ready because of our early arrival, the receptionist very kindly let us use an unoccupied room to change in, arranging for our cases to be moved to our suite while we were at the luncheon.
The food at the lunch was delicious, as was our light supper in the Brasserie that evening. Breakfast next morning was also tasty, and the restaurant staff were friendly, professional & helpful.
Special thanks to the barman/waiter in the Brasserie on Sunday evening, who remembered that we were entitled to a discount for dining in the hotel even when we'd forgotten to produce our discount card!

Room Tip: We stayed in the enormous Arley Suite, which comprises 3 large rooms (sitting/dining/conference room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank delavalliere
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel used to be my favorite hotel but has slowly deteriorated. Staff seem more interested in chatting loudly among themselves leaving customers waiting. The lounge bar has become a soulless bistro with loud 60s elevator music and shiny seating. Complaints or comments aren't of interest seemingly. Rooms are small and overheated. Great pity as the wonderful staff and atmosphere always countered the room size.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank 35805Traveller
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for a business trip with the room at a discounted corporate rate but with that it seems the room(s) allocated are the smallest and poorest maintained in hotel. First of all I was given room 38 which is in the attic, the room is dark, very small and has far too much overly large heavy dark wood furniture and felt claustrophobic so I asked to move. I was told the hotel was very full but they moved me to room 22, slightly bigger but again tatty (see photos), very short bed, no clock, tiny TV and no air con. The walls were marked, the taps in the bathroom had no hot or cold markings on them, the popup plug in the bath broken and the in room hotel guide tatty and worn not great at all.

The staff however are very friendly and the food in the Brasserie was very good. Although Reception told me the hotel was busy and therefore they could not find me a better room the restaurant, bar and even car park seemed empty and breakfast was very quiet.

If I was paying myself for the room even at the discounted rate I would not be happy but at the usual rate of £155 for a standard double PLUS breakfast at £17.50 per head this place is very expensive.

The staff and the food just scrape this into a 3 out of 5 if it was not for that it would of been a 2.

Room Tip: Not sure there are any good rooms but make sure you are not in an attic room or better still book so...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MatacG
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

This was my second time staying at this hotel, it is such a pleasure.... I love the stylish surroundings. Friendly, efficient staff, fabulous food! If you feel like it, the hotel is just a few minutes' walk from lovely restaurants (Go to The Botanist!) And reliable, free wi-fi is always appreciated when travelling overseas!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed at the Alderley Edge Hotel on Sunday night, February 16th, my husband's birthday. It was simply outstanding. Even a power cut in the middle of the night caused by neighbouring guests was dealt with speedily and efficiently. We had mentioned it was my husband's 'big birthday' and everyone remembered. Staff wished him a happy birthday. We were beyond thrilled to be upgraded to the Arley Suite where the far-views were stunning. Our daughter visited us for the superb Sunday Lunch and she is now going to book it for her fiancé's birthday in April. In our experience it is a fabulous independent hotel and we will return again, and again…and again. Thank you everyone at the Alderley Edge Hotel, for turning a birthday my husband was dreading, into what he now calls, 'his best birthday ever.'

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally T
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This was to celebrate our mum's 90th birthday. 17 of us stayed overnight and had a private room for dinner. The staff were all amazingly helpful and solicitous. The food at dinner was excellent, everyone liked their rooms. Breakfast was plentiful, good choices and well cooked. A big Thankyou to all who made our stay so pleasant.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be well soundproofed and very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
The Wilmslow Lodge
#3 of 5 in Wilmslow
De Vere Cranage Estate
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Been to Alderley Edge Hotel? Share your experiences!