“PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF BAD REVIEWS !!!”

Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cheadle
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for 2 nights for myself, my wife, my 9 year old and 7 year old. I booked over the phone and was asked for £50 deposit which I paid on my debit card. Sure enough a couple of days later the money left my bank account, so all booked or so I thought !!!
Now I had read reviews, bad ones, about this hotel, but it looked nice enough and i thought maybe they had took notice of the bad reviews and improved.
We arrived at 8.30pm on a Friday evening and I went into the hotel to check in. They had no record of my booking and only had a room for the Friday night and the Saturday night was full. I said this didn't suit as we were going to Alton Towers the following morning and didn't want to load the car back up and try to find a different hotel for the following night. The guy on reception just looked at me as if I was retarded and asked me if I was sure I had booked. Not willing to believe me I had to show him my bank account online on my iPhone showing the £50 they had taken. I was gobsmacked !!!!
I asked him what he was going to do about it as I had a 7 year old and a 9 year old sat in the car and it was getting late, to which he accused me of holding a shotgun to him ???
I demanded he refunded my £50 immediately and I left the hotel, which I must point out looked deserted, there were more staff than guests and I only spotted 3 staff !!!
Anyway it turns out he did us a favour, we continued onto Alton Towers and got a room at their on site hotel and it only cost us £40 more for 2 nights.
My advice, DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS HOTEL, continue to Alton Towers Hotel and stay in a really nice hotel were you will be treated like a guest and not a homeless person begging for somewhere to sleep.
So unprofessional.
Another point, I mentioned to the guy on reception that I had read some bad reviews of his hotel and now I understand why. He said most of the reviews were from people who had never stayed there, like me then I replied !!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
7  Thank Smwc9

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Just arrived home after 2 nights. Great location in a beautiful setting. Made to feel very welcome by the owners and the staff, very helpful and laid back! Room was great, nice big bed and plenty of room for our stuff. The food was amazing! Ended up staying in for tea both nights as we wanted to try more of the menu! Upgraded to a full English breakfast on arrival and was not disappointed! Very good value for money! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed here on the 27th of August 2013 for my daughters 9th birthday as the location was ideal for Alton towers.
Staff were very friendly and attentive, food was lovely, room was clean, plenty of facilities.
Beautiful grounds, would definitely return again!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The hotel was a place to sleep and the beds were comfy enough. It was very basic and there wasn't a clock, tea or enough cups for 4 people. You also had to ask for a hair dryer.The room was slightly dull and the lighting in bathroom wasn't good. The staff were friendly enough and the breakfast was OK not fantastic but edible. We found a used shower gel in our room, there wasn't a stopper on the curtain rail so the curtains would fall off if you tugged to hard and unfortuantley there wifi was down so we could hardly look on the internet. they also said they would give us room two but they gave us room three but that didn't matter much. One of us was turning 14 and they made no attempt to even say happy birthday at breakfast when they knew very clearly it was his birthday. It is not luxury but is cheaper than the Alton towers hotel and although it was OK we will not be going again.

Room Tip: Make sure to be nice to the owners and If you would like luxury I would book somewhere else unless y...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I booked this hotel for me and my partner as a surprise Alton towers break (my partner had never been there before!). £85 for a B&B with continental breakfast seemed a bit steep but the place looked beautiful and thought it would be worth it. I was wrong.
When I booked they charged me TWO deposits by mistake! They did offer to refund me the extra £25 I'd spent but as the damage had already been done I asked for it to be taken off the final bill instead. They offered me a free upgrade to a full English breakfast as an apology so I agreed and was happy to leave it at that.
When we arrived, the staff were lovely and the place looked gorgeous so we were very excited to see our room....this was the disappointing bit...
The room was small, cold, had a broken window you couldn't close properly, used soap, used shower gel and awful decor!
There was a rust patch in the bath which meant a nice hot bath wasnt something you would look forward to even if you had been out to buy bubble bath as none was provided.
The shower was VERY hard to get to a good temp so my partner had a boiling hot shower and I settled for a cold one.
The 'king size' bed is two bases put together which is quite normal in a lot of hotels now but instead of a king sized mattress on top it is two singles zipped together creating a very uncomfortable lump down the middle of the bed so might as well have gone with a twin!
The beds are rock hard and pillows are much the same so had a better night sleep at home the following night with my two babies crying at me!!
The room lacked any theme at all to the decor...navy and gold curtains with nice gold mirror would have looked OK if they weren't matched with cream stripy wallpaper and plain white bedding?! light shades were stained with age and there is a silver bathroom bin in the corner of the room...such a shame because the rooms have so much potential! Gorgeous original beams and beautiful shape to the room but they have ruined it with lack of attention to detail elsewhere!
Then to top it off, we asked to borrow an iron and were given exactly that...and only that! No ironing board! So my partner had to iron his shirt on a towel on the floor!!!
Breakfast was nice but pot of tea arrived with no sugar or spoon. Staff were lovely again and very helpful but by this point we were just ready to leave and not come back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andi F
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Pleasant and quick drive to Alton Towers from this hotel. It has recently been refurbished and looks lovely. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and it felt a much more personal experience than some of the chain hotels we've stayed at. The family room we were in was spacious and comfortable. We ate breakfast and dinner at the restaurant - the food was good and service attentive. Surrounding the hotel is lovely countryside and the building itself is attractive with plenty of parking.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Whiston hall is in a great location especially for Alton Towers. A very friendly atmosphere and we where greeted on arrival by very friendly and happy staff who couldn't do enough to make our stay the best it could it. Rooms are big, clean and very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was very nice, although some dishes maybe a little quirky. Would recommend a stay here to anyone and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Alton Towers Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel
8 mi away
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

Been to Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!