I booked this hotel for 2 nights for myself, my wife, my 9 year old and 7 year old. I booked over the phone and was asked for £50 deposit which I paid on my debit card. Sure enough a couple of days later the money left my bank account, so all booked or so I thought !!!
Now I had read reviews, bad ones, about this hotel, but it looked nice enough and i thought maybe they had took notice of the bad reviews and improved.
We arrived at 8.30pm on a Friday evening and I went into the hotel to check in. They had no record of my booking and only had a room for the Friday night and the Saturday night was full. I said this didn't suit as we were going to Alton Towers the following morning and didn't want to load the car back up and try to find a different hotel for the following night. The guy on reception just looked at me as if I was retarded and asked me if I was sure I had booked. Not willing to believe me I had to show him my bank account online on my iPhone showing the £50 they had taken. I was gobsmacked !!!!
I asked him what he was going to do about it as I had a 7 year old and a 9 year old sat in the car and it was getting late, to which he accused me of holding a shotgun to him ???
I demanded he refunded my £50 immediately and I left the hotel, which I must point out looked deserted, there were more staff than guests and I only spotted 3 staff !!!
Anyway it turns out he did us a favour, we continued onto Alton Towers and got a room at their on site hotel and it only cost us £40 more for 2 nights.
My advice, DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS HOTEL, continue to Alton Towers Hotel and stay in a really nice hotel were you will be treated like a guest and not a homeless person begging for somewhere to sleep.
Another point, I mentioned to the guy on reception that I had read some bad reviews of his hotel and now I understand why. He said most of the reviews were from people who had never stayed there, like me then I replied !!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whiston Hall is set in scenic Staffordshire countryside, just a 10-minute drive from Alton Towers. The 17th-century hotel has a leafy golf course, a modern bar area and elegant rooms with free Wi-Fi. The historic Whiston Hall estate features large grounds with ornamental fountains and 3 fishing lakes. The 18-hole golf course has a putting green, and offers wonderful views of the nearby hills. The bright and airy bedrooms each have a private bathroom with free toiletries. All rooms feature cable TV and tea/coffee facilities. In the mornings, guests can enjoy a continental breakfast,or for a small extra charge a hearty Full English. In the quiet village of Whiston, this elegant hotel is just a 10-minute drive from the Peak District National Park and from Alton Towers. Free on-site parking is available, and Stoke-on-Trent is a 20-minute drive away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LateRooms, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Ebookers so you can book your Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Whiston Hall Golf Club And Mansion Court Hotel
- Whiston Hall Hotel Mansion Court
- Whiston Hall Hotel And Golf Club Cheadle, Cheshire