“cracking place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cheadle
Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
“cracking place to stay”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stopped at the hotel for one night, I ate in the restaurant and had an amazingly good fillet steak. The chef Warren was helpful and could not be faulted. The staff are friendly, helpful and quite informal which gives a feeling of comfort. As for the rooms they were clean and well appointed. The bed was nice and comfy and slept extremely well. It is in a lovely setting within a small but challenging golf course. Their are local footpath walks and fishing is available within the grounds.

All in all an enjoyable visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

For my 33rd birthday I went to Alton towers for 2 days and stayed here for the night. Its only 10 mins away so as it looked so nice I booked for the night. After then reading a few reviews, I was a bit dubious, and contacted the hotel to let them know it was my birthday and that I was looking forward to coming. I also asked for some wine in the room as a special request and not only did I get a response straight away, they were happy to provide any special requests. Even when I cancelled it they were fine about it. When we arrived we were upgraded to the bridal suite and they even upgraded our breakfast to a cooked one as it was my birthday! The room was beautiful, large, clean and well decorated. Big comfy bed and perfect for a weekend away without the kids. James and the chef (didn't catch his name) were friendly and bent over backwards for us. I would recommend to anyone going to alton towers and wants somewhere nice to stay. Ignore all the bad reviews! Either they were being really picky, or it was a personality clash. Ridiculous! Also, we ate at thornbury hall indian restaurant which was v.tasty! Altho if I hadn't had my heart set on a curry, I would`ve been happy to eat dinner there. Overall a great experience! We didn`t have time to walk around the golf course but the grounds did look lovely as well, obviously a hit with golfers...

Room Tip: If you can, go for the bridal suite.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

we chose this hotel because we refused to pay the prices at alton towers and what a find, we were greeted by pleasant staff and we had a lovely room, No 7

we also decided to stay and eat in the hotel and was served a fantastic 3 course meal that we could not fault, and we were given some lovely rum truffles to top it off

on our arrival we were upgraded to a full English breakfast which again was lovely
we definitely will be returning next year and recommend a stay here

Room Tip: food was great ,and truffles
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have had the most frustrating experience ever with this hotel. I phoned to book for 2 adult and three children aged 9, 11 and 11. When I called I made the booking and a pleasant man told me that
resevations would call me for my details but not to worry the rooms were blocked out. He even gave me advice about parking at the local alton towers. I received no call and feeling a bit concerned I phoned back and spoke to another man who did not know who I had spoken to said that there were not enough room unless the children were prepared to go in an annex in an entirely seperate building. He was slightly disbeleiving of my earlier booking. he did say that he would see if we could all get into the bridal suite and I had no problem with that. He agreed to call me back which he did not do. I called again by 11am the next day and another man answered who knew nothing of my plight. He went to seek advice and came back and said they get 500 calls a day so would try and call me back but maybe I should look elsewhere. I did and got another hotel and then got a voicemail from Whiston to say no room left. This was odd in itself since they told me the bridal suite was available 2 hours earlier and would fit us all in. he said that they were a Plc owned by a bank and everything had to be approved by the Plc. It is no wonder the bank lose investors money if this is part of the investment. Whiston get your act together!

9 Thank george283

Travellers are raving about these Cheadle hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My son and I stayed here as we were visiting Alton Towers and we had the most wonderful time. It was a beautifully presented country house and grounds. The food was outstanding and nothing was to much trouble for the staff who were very friendly and attentive. The room was warm and comfortable and we look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night thankfully it wasn't any longer.We arrived and all seemed well,a beautiful country house with beautiful grounds overlooking the golf course.That was as nice as it got I'm afraid.We were excited to enter the building to be greeted by a unwelcoming hello and a man who seemed to have no idea about our booking,after finally sorting out the situation out we were excited to see our luxury double room.We were mortified to say the least and my husband was very upset as he had booked this as a surprise for myself as it was our anniversary.We couldnt of prepared ourselves.The room was dark and smelt, their was no coffee making facilitys just two tea bags and one cup with a dirty spoon.The bed sheets had a stain on them and we found used shower gel and used soap in the bath tub.We tried to find somewhere else to stay straight away but as it was late everywhere was fully booked, we had no choice so we stayed the night.In the morning we had the full English which was second to non.The lady serving it was lovely and very polite.we spoke to another couple at breakfast whom also said they experienced the same as we had and wont be returning.Such a shame and not worth the money.

• Stayed September 2013
8 Thank Mrsmorton6
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Originally booked 2 nights for myself, son and boyfriend. Photos on site are of lovely looking rooms and views. Our room was a cold cave (Room 1) with views of the derelict building opposite. No wooden posted bed in our room! No writing desk, no chairs... Son so cold we couldn't find spare blanket in room, so went out to an empty reception desk at 9.30pm. Eventually found someone who said no spare blankets. No food on the menu for veggies (that's me) so was substituted with a lame bowl of tomato pasta. All children's choices were something with chips and beans. Had to order off the menu for son - ended up waiting over an hour for his dinner (son not happy).

There is absolutely nothing to do there for children. We were the only people in the restaurant (while the staff watched tele themselves at the end of the room). The hotel does not offer any entertainment in the evening and seem to cater for themselves rather than the guests e.g breakfast begins at 8am - which is just too late for families.

Hot water ran out in midshower for myself - not happy. Breakfast in the morn was a table of cereal, with simply a 'cooked breakfast' for the meat eaters. No tea. Luke warm coffee (we were there at 8am) and freezing cold dining room! Advised staff that this was not what I expected when I booked an £85 a night hotel and got reimbursed for the second night thankfully (then went and stayed at Alton Towers hotel).

Can't see how any family would like this place. I would avoid and spend the extra at Alton Towers hotel. Food is amazing and the place is geared up for children the moment you step inside.

Room Tip: Ask on the phone if your room looks like the one on the website page.
6 Thank slils
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Peakstones Inn, Piggery & Friends Restaurant
Alton Towers Hotel
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Best Western Stoke East
Best Western Stoke East
#6 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!