“Disgusting customer service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cheadle
London, United Kingdom
“Disgusting customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

DISCLAIMER: This is a review of the customer service (or complete lack of) we have received from Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club and not the hotel itself as we did not stay there in the end. This review is not based on hearsay but FACT.

I am also aware having read some previous 'terrible' reviews, that the management will possibly respond extremely negatively to my review. This is a reflection of their terrible customer service and attitude towards customer service.

FACT: we booked a room to stay at Whiston Hall on the 26th April 2014 to stay on the night of 28th June 2014
FACT: at 17:54 on the 27th June 2014, the following voicemail was left on our phone: "Hello message for Emily. This is, I'm calling from Whiston Hall. Your reservation tomorrow night, we've actually, bookings.com have made an extra booking, an over booking, erm, so er, we're not, unfortunately we can't take your reservation at the Hall. Er, We have got a sister hotel called the Railway Inn which is about a mile and a half from us. Ummm, and I've booked you in there if you want to go down to there. the price will be exactly the same. If you want to give us a call back you can on 01538 266 260. That's the Railway Inn at Froghall and they are expecting you. Thanks, Bye.
FACT: this garbled message was left less than 24 hours before we could have checked into the hotel and is, which ever way you look at it, totally unacceptable to inform people so late in the day of a change in booking.
FACT: at no point during this message does the caller identify himself personally. He does not ask if this is ok, simply assumes this is ok.
FACT: at 18.16, my partner tried to return the call but nobody answered.
FACT: the following day I called the hotel to try to speak to somebody. During a rather interesting discussion with the manager an alternative was eventually offered.

Without getting into the he said, I said, she said etc. The attitude of the manager towards myself was shocking. I accept I was angry during this telephone conversation, but at no point did I swear. My phone call was answered with "Hello". To which I responded should a business not answer a call, "Good morning Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club how may I help you"?

Upon reading other 'terrible' reviews of the hotel, problems with answering the phone seem to be common. The attitude of the manager towards me was terrible. He had the opportunity to make a bad situation better. Yes he did offer a reduction in my next stay, free breakfast and a free round of golf, but only AFTER I mentioned about writing a review on trip advisor.

Having spoken to booking.com, they advised me that there should never have been an over booking and we, the customer, should not have been contacted directly. Rather booking.com should have been contacted by the hotel themselves.

At the end of the day, we, the customer were told less than 24 hours before arrival that we could not stay where we had been booked and had been booked somewhere else in what, in our opinion, was in fact cheaper and much less desirable. Upon complaining, I felt as if I was the big bad wolf for being angry at a cancellation at such short notice. I felt I was the one in the conversation being the customer service agent not the manager himself. If I spoke to an angry and distressed client on the phone in the way the manager spoke to me, I wouldn't have a job.

What happened to the customer always being right?

Good job we aren't hotel inspectors.

Please please please be aware that 24 people have written terrible reviews......this has got to say something.

Whiston Hall, please look at your customer service and decide whether you would rather say thank you to customers writing excellent reviews (which would sell a stay at your hotel) or waste time responding to the customers who you have given such a bad experience to, that they tell the truth about your customer service. I am yet to receive any form of contact to follow up the initial email and telephone conversation and the cancellation from booking.com. We have had no apology, no response.....nothing! This is quite frankly not good enough and simply unacceptable.
Needless to say we will most certainly NEVER be staying at Whiston Hall!!!

(If it is felt that this review is unfairly negative, please read my review of our stay at Horsley Lodge).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank thedrew85
travelman10094, General Manager at Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
I am unsure how to respond to this guests complaints we did our best to inform him of the overbooking situation but he continued with abuse to my staff and refused alternate accommodation..which my staff offered him 3 options.. it is sad when a guest decides to slur our great reputation..and should realise we are over booked for a reason..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Whiston hall Is a great place to stay. I stayed here with family whilst visiting alton towers. The staff are very friendly and are very helpful to your needs. The room we stayed in was at very high standards and very clean. It wasn't your average hotel it was amazing. The food was great and tasted great and the staff who served us were very well mannered and polite. They were very nice to my children and I would define toy recommend to stay here. I will be visiting again soon.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
norwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

When you approach the hotel you are greeted by the Bentleys the entrance and reception area look great and Maurice was friendly and welcoming. The halls are decorated nicely and you think you are in for a treat.
We then entered our room (room 1) and were a bit taken by surprise. The room looked sparse to say the least with one bedside table on one side, a makeshift bed at the end of the room and an old dresser which had obviously had, had a hard life over the years. The tv is tiny and the kettle lead is impossible to use with the lead in.
If only the bedrooms were decorated as nicely as the rest of the hotel this would be 5 stars. Maurice and (wife?) were very accommodating and always had a laugh with them every time we saw them. Can't fault their approach to customers and enthusiasm. Get those rooms sorted and get the 5 stars you deserve!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed here last weekend I came all the way from London and I really enjoyed my vist at Whiston Hall. I would highly recommend anyone to stay here its well worth the money
the people are lovely,grate company and the rooms were very clean & high standerds
Had breakfast and it was very nice too
loved every moment staying here cant wait to come again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed for i night on26th October on our way to Alton Towers. First thing the hotel did was take payment. If they'd waited till we checked out we might not have paid it was so bad. The room was basic. The bed was 2 singles stuck together and was very uncomfortable. There was a flyer in a drawer advertising " hot girls" and so we had to try and explain to our son what this meant. We could not use the shower as the poor pressure of cold water meant we could not get it below scalding. Dinner was like Fawlty Towers. There were 4 of us in 2 rooms and not one meal was correct. When we pointed this out the owner lost his temper and took the food away saying we would not have to pay for it. this hotel is in the middle of nowhere so we were left hungry. The TV in the room was tiny and had no remote so you could not change channel. We went back down to the bar at 10.50pm but it was locked with no staff in view and they were not answering the phone when we tried that. The walls were paper thin and we could hear every word on next door's TV. There was no fire exit info in the rooms which I'm pretty sure is illegal. Breakfast was barely adequate. Don't get me wrong if we'd paid £40 for a basic B & B it would have been OK. But this was part of a birthday treat for our son-in-law and was nothing short of an embarrassment for us. At the price charged, and given the claims on the website, we expected a country house hotel. It was convenient for Alton Towers, and if you can negotiate a rate of £60 or less, its just about OK, but if they want anything more than that I would advise steering clear.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank andy19583
travelman10094, General Manager at Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
I am also very disappointed to see this review, I was at the hotel when this guest visited..the first instance i saw was upon check in..the guest did book two rooms..they first said they had paid in full attempting not to pay..when my desk manager did inform them that the hotel policy was only a deposit was taken upon reservation the guest begun to argue..then the evening meal was served, my waiter took the order and the guests returned the meals three times complaining that it was not what they ordered..one of the guests even claimed to be a chef...and argued that the meal was below his standard..we had many diners that evening and they also commented on this strange behavior, we did not charge the guests for the meal as they were so confrontational and rude..the guests said that there was adult literature in the bedside draw.. this is far from the truth we are a very proud establishment and this is purely a representation of these very troubled people..i hope these people don't visit us again as its very sad that they visit places with a view to argue to get the stay for free when they simple cant afford to go away...

Travellers are raving about these Cheadle hotels

stirling scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed in this hotel while visiting Alton towers! Ideal base! Our room was spotless clean & was a great size for us. Our evening meal was cooked fresh, and was delightful & was really well presented! Every request was met & staff really went out their way for us! Our cooked breakfast again in the morning was delightful!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nicnac_8
You were a absolute pleasure to serve and please come back what a lovely family
Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I travel and stay away frequently for my work and try to steer clear of faceless generic hotel chains, preferring instead to find smaller independent hotels. This can be risky as you can have some terrible experiences, but then you can also find a little gem like Whiston Hall. We booked the last three rooms in the hotel for our family Alton Towers trip. The hotel is in an impressive setting overlooking a golf course. We had two double rooms and one family room. All the rooms were a good size and very clean. The beds comfy and there was plenty of tea and coffee making facilities. Bathrooms were again very clean and fresh. We did notice that our room was lacking a hairdryer ( for my wife. My days of having hair being long gone!). We spoke to an extreamly helpful man at reception who provided one instantly. He apologised for the fact that it was not in the room and expained that they had had to remove them due to the theft of over fifty of them in 18 months!
The dining room was large and the staff moved the tables so that all seven of us could sit together for a family breakfast. The manager very kindly upgraded our breakfast from continental to full english and served it himself. The breakfast was beautifully cooked and washed down with plenty of tea and fruit juice.
When the time to check out came, the manager came to the reception desk to ensure that we had all enjoyed our stay, which I thought was a nice touch.
To sum up, Whiston Hall is a charming hotel. It is not the Ritz, but it is well looked after and very clean throughout, The manager and staff are increadibly helpful and you really get the feeling that nothing is too much trouble for them, just ask!
We will certainly be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
great people and thank you for visiting
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Callow Hall Hotel
Three Horseshoes Country Inn & Spa
The Station Hotel
The Station Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ashbourne

Been to Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!