DISCLAIMER: This is a review of the customer service (or complete lack of) we have received from Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club and not the hotel itself as we did not stay there in the end. This review is not based on hearsay but FACT.
I am also aware having read some previous 'terrible' reviews, that the management will possibly respond extremely negatively to my review. This is a reflection of their terrible customer service and attitude towards customer service.
FACT: we booked a room to stay at Whiston Hall on the 26th April 2014 to stay on the night of 28th June 2014
FACT: at 17:54 on the 27th June 2014, the following voicemail was left on our phone: "Hello message for Emily. This is, I'm calling from Whiston Hall. Your reservation tomorrow night, we've actually, bookings.com have made an extra booking, an over booking, erm, so er, we're not, unfortunately we can't take your reservation at the Hall. Er, We have got a sister hotel called the Railway Inn which is about a mile and a half from us. Ummm, and I've booked you in there if you want to go down to there. the price will be exactly the same. If you want to give us a call back you can on 01538 266 260. That's the Railway Inn at Froghall and they are expecting you. Thanks, Bye.
FACT: this garbled message was left less than 24 hours before we could have checked into the hotel and is, which ever way you look at it, totally unacceptable to inform people so late in the day of a change in booking.
FACT: at no point during this message does the caller identify himself personally. He does not ask if this is ok, simply assumes this is ok.
FACT: at 18.16, my partner tried to return the call but nobody answered.
FACT: the following day I called the hotel to try to speak to somebody. During a rather interesting discussion with the manager an alternative was eventually offered.
Without getting into the he said, I said, she said etc. The attitude of the manager towards myself was shocking. I accept I was angry during this telephone conversation, but at no point did I swear. My phone call was answered with "Hello". To which I responded should a business not answer a call, "Good morning Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club how may I help you"?
Upon reading other 'terrible' reviews of the hotel, problems with answering the phone seem to be common. The attitude of the manager towards me was terrible. He had the opportunity to make a bad situation better. Yes he did offer a reduction in my next stay, free breakfast and a free round of golf, but only AFTER I mentioned about writing a review on trip advisor.
Having spoken to booking.com, they advised me that there should never have been an over booking and we, the customer, should not have been contacted directly. Rather booking.com should have been contacted by the hotel themselves.
At the end of the day, we, the customer were told less than 24 hours before arrival that we could not stay where we had been booked and had been booked somewhere else in what, in our opinion, was in fact cheaper and much less desirable. Upon complaining, I felt as if I was the big bad wolf for being angry at a cancellation at such short notice. I felt I was the one in the conversation being the customer service agent not the manager himself. If I spoke to an angry and distressed client on the phone in the way the manager spoke to me, I wouldn't have a job.
What happened to the customer always being right?
Good job we aren't hotel inspectors.
Please please please be aware that 24 people have written terrible reviews......this has got to say something.
Whiston Hall, please look at your customer service and decide whether you would rather say thank you to customers writing excellent reviews (which would sell a stay at your hotel) or waste time responding to the customers who you have given such a bad experience to, that they tell the truth about your customer service. I am yet to receive any form of contact to follow up the initial email and telephone conversation and the cancellation from booking.com. We have had no apology, no response.....nothing! This is quite frankly not good enough and simply unacceptable.
Needless to say we will most certainly NEVER be staying at Whiston Hall!!!
(If it is felt that this review is unfairly negative, please read my review of our stay at Horsley Lodge).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whiston Hall is set in scenic Staffordshire countryside, just a 10-minute drive from Alton Towers. The 17th-century hotel has a leafy golf course, a modern bar area and elegant rooms with free Wi-Fi. The historic Whiston Hall estate features large grounds with ornamental fountains and 3 fishing lakes. The 18-hole golf course has a putting green, and offers wonderful views of the nearby hills. The bright and airy bedrooms each have a private bathroom with free toiletries. All rooms feature cable TV and tea/coffee facilities. In the mornings, guests can enjoy a continental breakfast,or for a small extra charge a hearty Full English. In the quiet village of Whiston, this elegant hotel is just a 10-minute drive from the Peak District National Park and from Alton Towers. Free on-site parking is available, and Stoke-on-Trent is a 20-minute drive away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline and HostelWorld so you can book your Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Whiston Hall Golf Club And Mansion Court Hotel
- Whiston Hall Hotel Mansion Court
- Whiston Hall Hotel And Golf Club Cheadle, Cheshire