“Great place to stay!!!!”

Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cheadle
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I am astonished to read the negative reviews regarding peoples stay at whiston hall. April this year myself and family stayed for a weekend whilst visiting Alton towers. The accommodation, food and especially the service was phenomenal. My daughter fell and hurt herself on the last day and I was overwhelmed by the support and friendly service we got from the staff, they helped my daughter and she was smiling again in no time. Nothing was too much trouble and the whole weekend was made extra special by their staff. We will definitely be staying there again when we visit Alton towers in August. Thanks again to all the staff at whiston hall.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Jmm1960

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here last night after a visit to Alton towers after reading some of the reviews i wasn't excited about my stay as I booked several weeks ago but as I only booked one night I still decided to stay

From arriving staff we're welcoming and showed me to my room
It was clean but the TV was a little dated I did have a problem with the remote as it was faulty but after I contacted a member of staff they changed it
The rest of the room was clean and comfortable
Had an English breakfast this was fine
Over all not a bad experience at all

Would stay again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Whiston Hall is a typical 'Golf' type hotel. The rooms are very basic but clean, with as many beds stuffed into them as possible. Reason: 4 blokes on a golfing weekend are quite prepared to bed down together to cut the cost of their break! Our travelling friends first comment was 'it looks like a hospital ward!' The 2 guys on reception were very good and recommended an excellent Indian Restaurant at Thornbury Hall. They didn't say that the Hotel Reception including the Bar would be locked up and vacated on our return at 9.00pm! A reasonable overnight stop in this area in a hotel that clearly lacks a woman's touch. Don't expect a Holiday Inn or Hilton.

Room Tip: Note. No restaurant
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank R0bbie78
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My Husband and I stayed here at Whiston Hall for 1 night following a trip to Alton Towers.
I began a list of points the second we arrived to which I will now add on here.
* We booked a double room and quite obviously got a twin with 2 singles zipped together so I couldn't reach my overhead light.
* Bedside cabinet being used as tv table so nowhere for a drink, clock, book etc.
* Lightbulb blown in dressing area.
* No chair or mirror at dressing table
* No hairdryer
* No welcome information
* No telephone to contact reception
* No extra pillows or blankets.
* Curtain to large for rail so kept falling off.
* Carpet in bathroom??? Unhygienic in my view!
* Not enough hanger clips compared to hangers.
* No blind in bathroom for privacy.
* Restaurant for evening meals closed! This meant after a long day we had to drive out in a strange area for a meal and couldn't enjoy a drink.
* Very poor continental breakfast after wanting £5.95 extra for full English. Refused to pay that each after spending £79 a night for all the above!
The breakfast croissants were from a supermarket, still in the plastic tray. Cereals in plastic measuring bowls and the toast bought to our table was only half buttered which he did warn us of when it arrived! No care or attention at all taken.
You book a nice looking country hall hotel expecting comfort, beauty and nice meals but my only good points noted were:
* Clean bathroom
* Ok shower
* Good size towels.
That's it. I have since written a letter of complaint to the manager but having read other reviews I don't expect a response any time soon.
The place needs a woman's touch inside and leave the men to the golf because I feel this is their only focus.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here.
8  Thank Toni Ryder P
travelman10094, Manager at Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

We are very sorry to hear you are un happy we have taken on board your comments, however we are fully booked and we realise we can not please every one but we endeavor to do our best..the biggest complaint we get is that we have limited availability for rooms to satisfy the demand.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Whiston Hall Hotel is a decent place to stay. I stayed here with my wife and some friends whilst visiting the Alton Towers theme park. The two fellows in charge are very friendly and helpful to your needs should an issue arise. The room we stayed in was minimalist but relatively clean (there were a lot of dead bugs and flies in the lights etc).

From the outside this does not look like your average hotel - it was impressive, as is the foyer and waiting area. But, the rooms are really quite basic. Our shower for instance was basic and in fact it didn't work – whilst the gents agreed to come to fix it, even once it was done, it was not exactly a powerful jet of water. I think a little more investment on this necessity would go a long way.

The continental breakfast was basic also – cereal, bananas and some croissants. My friend has the cooked breakfast but was not impressed. Though it was not bad.

It’s a shame that the bar closes at 21:30 – although the owners were quite happy for us to stay up in the lounge with our own bottles.

Speaking of bottles there were around 30 blue bottles on the inside window of the lounge. Hopefully a one off.

In summary, if only the bedrooms were decorated as nicely as the rest of the hotel (all those LED lights!) this would be 4 stars. The two gents operating the hotel were nice to speak to. With a little more gusto as hosts and a bit more TLC given to the bedrooms and this hotel could be very good indeed

1  Thank RogF1978
Reviewed 29 June 2014

DISCLAIMER: This is a review of the customer service (or complete lack of) we have received from Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club and not the hotel itself as we did not stay there in the end. This review is not based on hearsay but FACT.

I am also aware having read some previous 'terrible' reviews, that the management will possibly respond extremely negatively to my review. This is a reflection of their terrible customer service and attitude towards customer service.

FACT: we booked a room to stay at Whiston Hall on the 26th April 2014 to stay on the night of 28th June 2014
FACT: at 17:54 on the 27th June 2014, the following voicemail was left on our phone: "Hello message for Emily. This is, I'm calling from Whiston Hall. Your reservation tomorrow night, we've actually, bookings.com have made an extra booking, an over booking, erm, so er, we're not, unfortunately we can't take your reservation at the Hall. Er, We have got a sister hotel called the Railway Inn which is about a mile and a half from us. Ummm, and I've booked you in there if you want to go down to there. the price will be exactly the same. If you want to give us a call back you can on 01538 266 260. That's the Railway Inn at Froghall and they are expecting you. Thanks, Bye.
FACT: this garbled message was left less than 24 hours before we could have checked into the hotel and is, which ever way you look at it, totally unacceptable to inform people so late in the day of a change in booking.
FACT: at no point during this message does the caller identify himself personally. He does not ask if this is ok, simply assumes this is ok.
FACT: at 18.16, my partner tried to return the call but nobody answered.
FACT: the following day I called the hotel to try to speak to somebody. During a rather interesting discussion with the manager an alternative was eventually offered.

Without getting into the he said, I said, she said etc. The attitude of the manager towards myself was shocking. I accept I was angry during this telephone conversation, but at no point did I swear. My phone call was answered with "Hello". To which I responded should a business not answer a call, "Good morning Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club how may I help you"?

Upon reading other 'terrible' reviews of the hotel, problems with answering the phone seem to be common. The attitude of the manager towards me was terrible. He had the opportunity to make a bad situation better. Yes he did offer a reduction in my next stay, free breakfast and a free round of golf, but only AFTER I mentioned about writing a review on trip advisor.

Having spoken to booking.com, they advised me that there should never have been an over booking and we, the customer, should not have been contacted directly. Rather booking.com should have been contacted by the hotel themselves.

At the end of the day, we, the customer were told less than 24 hours before arrival that we could not stay where we had been booked and had been booked somewhere else in what, in our opinion, was in fact cheaper and much less desirable. Upon complaining, I felt as if I was the big bad wolf for being angry at a cancellation at such short notice. I felt I was the one in the conversation being the customer service agent not the manager himself. If I spoke to an angry and distressed client on the phone in the way the manager spoke to me, I wouldn't have a job.

What happened to the customer always being right?

Good job we aren't hotel inspectors.

Please please please be aware that 24 people have written terrible reviews......this has got to say something.

Whiston Hall, please look at your customer service and decide whether you would rather say thank you to customers writing excellent reviews (which would sell a stay at your hotel) or waste time responding to the customers who you have given such a bad experience to, that they tell the truth about your customer service. I am yet to receive any form of contact to follow up the initial email and telephone conversation and the cancellation from booking.com. We have had no apology, no response.....nothing! This is quite frankly not good enough and simply unacceptable.
Needless to say we will most certainly NEVER be staying at Whiston Hall!!!

(If it is felt that this review is unfairly negative, please read my review of our stay at Horsley Lodge).

4  Thank thedrew85
travelman10094, General Manager at Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

I am unsure how to respond to this guests complaints we did our best to inform him of the overbooking situation but he continued with abuse to my staff and refused alternate accommodation..which my staff offered him 3 options.. it is sad when a guest decides to slur our great reputation..and should realise we are over booked for a reason..

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Whiston hall Is a great place to stay. I stayed here with family whilst visiting alton towers. The staff are very friendly and are very helpful to your needs. The room we stayed in was at very high standards and very clean. It wasn't your average hotel it was amazing. The food was great and tasted great and the staff who served us were very well mannered and polite. They were very nice to my children and I would define toy recommend to stay here. I will be visiting again soon.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Peakstones Inn, Piggery & Friends Restaurant
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Alton Towers Hotel
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

Been to Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!