“Functional but behind the times”
Review of Ibis Styles Crewe

Ibis Styles Crewe
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times as stay here when I come up to visit family in the area.

I have always found it fit for purpose, however this time we were a bit disappointed.

The good bits:
Check in quick and efficient; clean room; quiet bar area; they take dogs for an extra £10 charge

The not so good bits:
There is only wifi in the public areas, and a cable provided in bedrooms, however in this day and age of tablets and smart phones, this is just not practical. The last time I stayed, I brought my lap top, but could only sit at the desk as the cable was not long enough. This time I had my tablet, so could not connect in the room. Even if I had my laptop with me, I wouldn't have been able to connect as the cable was there, but the sockets had been punched out (perhaps in anger by a previous guest?) I guess this hotel is very much a business hotel throughout the week, so I fear customers will choose to stay elsewhere on this point alone.

The hotel was quiet, so I understand why they would not put out the breakfast buffet and instead offer food cooked to order. When I arrived in the restaurant, the lady just said "Can I have your room number?". A "Good morning, how are you today?" would go a long way. Even the cold buffet looked bare, and my scrambled eggs and bacon did not looked cook to order but looked like it had been sitting on the hot plate in the kitchen for a couple of hours.

We had a twin room, and I had a better which literally sprung every time I moved - mattress definitely needs replacing.

I think the next time, I may try somewhere else...mainly for the wifi connection alone. This hotel would have been modern and popular a couple of years ago, but does need to get with the times.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
DavidTucker1, General Manager at Ibis Styles Crewe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed and constructive feedback on the hotel. I am sorry that you dit not find the complimentary wired internet access in our bedrooms to be of use to you. We are currently receiving quotes to have WiFi internet access throughout the hotel. I hope that should you stay with us again this is in place for you to use. I have taken all of your feedback on board and will be addressing any issues with my team.

There are newer reviews for Ibis Styles Crewe

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed here when attending my company's xmas party in local restaurant. Great price for the room when pre booked online at Booking.com Room was clean and tidy, ideal for a solo traveller.
Fire alarm went off at 3.00am and had to vacate hotel for over 1 hour. It had been deliberately
set off by a group of drunk lads at a xmas party. Not the best night sleep when I had a 3 hour drive early the next morning! There is a Macdonalds around the corner if you don't fancy the breakfast.
I hope my experience was just a "one off"

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul A
DavidTucker1, General Manager at Ibis Styles Crewe, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. Please be aware that should you stay with us again breakfast will be available as an add on for £5 per person on Saturdays and Sundays.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Internet in the room is via a LAN cable only but WiFi in the lobby. Breakfast was horrendous and low quality. Room hardly had any extra facilities.

Stayed there for 4 nights and for 2 evenings that I came back the room key wouldn't work so you had to take a trip back to the reception from your floor (lobby had a phone) because they wouldn't pick up the phone on the reception to send someone for help.

Overall moderate hotel.

Quality: Poor to fair
Facilities: Poor to fair
Service: Poor to fair

Room Tip: Well, find another one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I am sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your stay. I will be looking into what happened on the morning of your stay as usually we receive excellent feedback on our breakfast. We are currently receiving quotes for WiFi internet access to be installed throughout the hotel and this will be in place soon. Thank you for your invaluable feedback.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

This was a one-night stopover en-route along the M6 and it's just right for that purpose. Not too close to feel you're still 'on the motorway' but close enough to be very convenient. On arrival, there was a large and noisy Christmas party in full swing but, without even having to ask, the receptionist immediately changed our room location to a room where we couldn't hear the party or be disturbed by it. Well done! Simple but professional service!

The room was as you'd expect, clean, neat, warm and very practical. Ditto the bathroom/shower.

Brekkie was the usual buffet but very nice.

Overall, a very good spot to stay and would happily use the hotel again for similar trips.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give this feedback. I am pleased to read that everything was to your satisfaction and that your request for a quieter room was dealt with so efficiently. I hop to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Rooms are clean and relatively small. Small TV, desk area and a hard bad. Wi-Fi was so-so. Breakfast was very good. Not many restaurant choices near this hotel. Overall it is a good value for one night or two.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Booked this hotel at a reasonable room rate of £54. It is clean and tidy, bedroom and bathroom were decent enough - just a reasonable budget hotel really. Had a quick meal from the 'specials menu,' that was quite nice - if a tad over-priced, but all in all the hotel does what it says on the tin!

Room Tip: Don't sit in your room in the hope of watching TV, signal is quite bad...the flat screens in the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
DavidTucker1, General Manager at Ibis Styles Crewe, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on the hotel. I am pleased to see that you found us to be reasonably priced. Should you stay with us again on a weekend please feel free try something from our new 15 minute menu on which all items are priced at £5.95. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed here as a stop of point while making a very long trip to see family. We needed something close to the M6 and a decent price, which this offered both. What we got was much more. The staff were lovely and friendly and the food was fantastic. There was what appeared o be a work Christmas party going on in the main bar area which we were invited to join by one of the members of staff but after a long drive and lovely meal we were ready to retire to bed. The room was very clean and once we were there we were not disturbed by any noise from the party and got a good nights sleep, just what we needed. Breakfast was no more than you would expect from a buffet breakfast but was very nice. All in all a really enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting your family. It is very pleasing to see that you enjoyed your stay so much and I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the team. I hope to see you again very soon.