“Absolute bliss!”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Heywood
“Absolute bliss!”
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Needing some rest and relaxation I used our Breakaway Club offer of £45 for Sunday night stays and added the Monday night to give me a 2 night break. Hubby stayed with me Sunday night and I had a peaceful solo night on Monday.

Check in was easy and I even managed to get a cheeky upgrade to one of the large old rooms in the main old part of the Hall. Room 3103 was at the far end of the old part, and was very peaceful as no rooms above and just 2 rooms nearby. Huge bed, nice seating area (although sofa springs had gone!), desk and chair, lovely split level bathroom with double sized shower cubicle and massive deep bath underneath a very pretty stained glass rooflight. Had issues with the old plumbing (toilet blocked pretty much every time you used it!) but the water was nice and hot.

Spa & brasserie in the new part seemed like a long trek - until we discovered a quick way down the stairs opposite our room which looked like they didn't go anywhere. Lovely meal in the brasserie, large char grilled chicken breast for me and smallish pressed cylinder of lamb shoulder for hubby were delicious, but mains rather expensive (duck was £20!). We were a little bemused at being offered the table next to a couple with a child when there was nobody else at at all in the restaurant and we were obviously a young couple on our own having a romantic dinner. I asked for a quiet corner instead and we were seated well away from said child! Breakfast good, poached eggs to order were fine and cooked buffet looked fine.

Leisure centre was nice and quiet when I went in on the Monday, with good up to date equipment with i-pod docks etc. Pool lovely, as were sauna and steam rooms. It was nice and peaceful as the hotel was very quiet, but I'd imagine the leisure centre would be very busy when the hotel is full which would spoil it.

Staff are great. Check out on Tuesday fine, offer of help with bags and offer for a look at the modern rooms when I enquired what they were like. Drove round to the spa for my treatment to avoid the trek back through the hotel afterwards. I'd booked the ESPA holistic back, face and scalp treatment with hot stones which was worth every penny of the £85 for almost 2 hours of sheer bliss. The therapist Carol Blood was amazing, very friendly and knowledgable and tailored bits of the treatment based on my circumstances (recent stress at work and dodgy neck/back). I left feeling fabulous. Can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: Go at a quiet time and ask for upgrade in old bit
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
MartLouwerse, General Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, 19 June 2011
Dear Cyberhell
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete your feedback on your experience at Crewe Hall on Trip Advisor. We value feedback from our customers as it gives us an opportunity to use it as a training tool with the hotel team. I was pleased to read that on the whole you were happy with your stay, but also reading your comments there are some areas in which we can definitely improve. I was disappointed that our staff were unable to anticipate your needs when allocating you a table in the Brasserie, instead of you having to ask. It is the small details which can make all the difference for our guests and it is something which we need to focus on.
The rooms in the main building do require a great deal of ongoing maintenance due to the age of the building and we pride ourselves on ensuring our engineering team complete thorough checks on all aspects within our bedrooms. I will of course be passing your comments on to our Maintenance Manager. I hope that I will be able to welcome you back to Crewe Hall in the near future.
Best regards

Mart Louwerse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Polish first
Leeds,
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Stayed at Crewe hall for one night and can not praise enough. Everything perfect from the welcome, exquisite room, service, meals etc etc. Crewe hall is a beautiful building which has been restored to a high standard. We have stayed in many hotels around the world but this beats them all by far for price, decor and sheer beauty. Would recommend staying in the old part and having a wander around the many rooms, hallways in this part of the hotel. Also try the afternoon tea in the Sheridan lounge. Pricey but worth it for the beautiful surroundings. I can see why this a popular wedding venue. .

1 Thank Disneysg1
Dear Disneysg1
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience at Crewe Hall. It so nice when guests have such an enjoyable experience and share their feedback with others. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Best regards

Mart Louwerse
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The room for our recent stay at Crewe Hall was extremely good. However, dinner and breakfast at the Brasserie left a lot to be desired. We had drinks befor the meal in the Brasserie and there was a lot of food on the floor around the tables. It looked as though there had been a children's party!! A member of staff came round to tidy up the chairs but completely ignored the fact that theree was food everywhere on the floor. In the restaurant itself, the food was very nice, but the staff forgot our side orders so they arrived half way through the course.

At breakfast the next morning, there was food on the floor left over from the previous evening. Again, the food was very good.

In conclusion, the Brasserie isn't cheap, and they really should get the basics right if they are going to justify the prices.

Would I go back? Yes I would, but I definitely wouldn't use the Brasserie.

London
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I have just spent a night in the hotel with 4 old school friends. I had searched high a low for a hotel with spa in the middle of the UK that fit all our budgets, so we all had equal journeys and one whose spa facilities weren't extortionate.
The aim was to have a girly night away with spa facilities. In that respect we had a great time. There were five of us in the group and 2 stayed in the Feature rooms (ie the nice old bit) and three stayed in the new rooms in the modern extension. The rooms were nice and comfortable there. In the old part of the hall the rooms were varied. My room (3104) was very masculine with tartan décor and lampshades made of deer antlers (mmmm OK if you like the hunting theme) but it felt like more of a business man rooms to be honest. My friend had a much larger room (3103) with a huge bathroom and king size bed which was much more attractive. There was a wedding on, so they probably had all the best feature rooms booked out for their group. There was no noise from the wedding through which was good and we all slept well.

Generally the hotel felt clean and well looked after. On the way down to stairs to the reception there was an odd corridor outside room 3105 which had the most peculiar smell. We couldn’t decide what it was but the best we came up with was “old ladies cupboards”. Maybe it is just lacking in ventilation.

The Brasserie restaurant was in the new part of the building and was where we had breakfast, but it was badly lacking in atmosphere at night. It felt like sitting in a works canteen. It needs softening up with some plants of better lighting at night. The food was decent and there was plenty of choice and the staff were good throughout.

One thing I thought was a bit "off" was being charged £4.50 for a room service delivery of extra milk portions for the tea and coffee on offer in the room and for a bucket of ice to chill some champagne I had already paid £40.00 for. I didn’t query it at checkout because I simply forgot to do so, but maybe others should.

Overall it was a good stay but having researched so much into this trip I do feel disappointed by the fact that the hotel does not really paint a clear enough picture of how different the two halves of the hotel really are. I just did not get a complete picture of what the hotel was like, so ultimately it was a disappointment and I felt duped when I got there. As I booked the trip for the 5 of us I felt personally responsible for this.

On the Q Hotel website and any other linked websites the only pictures shown are of the old part of the hotel. The modern extension is not "sympathetic" at all to the old house. Everyone commented the same things. 1) How did this get passed by planning?" and 2) "It looks like a hospital or school"
Q hotels should be a bit more honest. The fact there are no real pictures of the modern extension from the outside confirms that they are not proud of the building’s appearance. Other people might not be bothered by clashing architectural styles, but I am and others may be like me, so I have put up some photos of the exterior of the modern extension that you don’t get to see on the website, but only once you are there.

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2011

An enjoyable and successful conference at Crewe Hall. Facilities, food and rooms were excellent, but the staff were the most outstanding feature being exceptionally helpful knowledgeable and cheerful. My sleep quality is rated average only because of the continuous hum of an air conditionaing unit below my window. Maintenance staff did their best, but if you experience this, ask for a room change soon enough for there to be a spare room!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2011

This is a really impressive & beautiful building. What was even better though was the staff. Every member of staff I dealt with was polite and helpful, some even going out of their way to help when a colleague was ill ( not through any fault of the hotel!).
The accommodation was very good, clean rooms, well equipped but no rubber bath mat for the shower!!

Room Tip: Ask for a bath mat if you intend to use the showe!
edinburgh
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Second time at this Hotel and I would reccomend it.

Couple of problems.

1. Service in the Brassiere very poor ,Staff had to be found then asked to be served.

2. Breakfast very poor, Warm Fruit Juice , 1 slice of Bread left to toast, and greasy trays full of over cooked food.

Dont get me wrong ,this would not stop me using this Hotel again.

Lets hope these small matters can be addresed to make you guys 5 Stars.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Mottram Hall
De Vere Cranage Estate
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!