“Beautiful ” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“Beautiful ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

This a wonderful venue where I was fortunate enough to attend a wedding. We opted to stay over in what I think was called a King Room. The room was luxurious, clean with a ginormous comfortable bed. Buffet style breakfast in the morning was a nice treat. The actual wedding itself was amazing and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lisab685

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Polish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My son and I used Crewe Hall for two nights as a base for golf at Wychwood Park on the first day and a trip to The Open golf championship the next day. At first sight, the old building is an impressive pile with an amazing interior full of ornate woodwork and plasterwork. Our room was in the new building, which externally has all the architectural charm of an industrial unit. No-one helped with the bags and we were just given directions for the long walk.
The air conditioning in our room (4143) was incredibly noisy (like a wind tunnel!) but did absolutely nothing to cool the room, which was a shame, as the period of our stay was very hot and humid. It simply did not function. We had to make do with switching the A/C off and opening the window.
Had it not been for our busy schedule, I would have requested a different room. When I did mention it at Reception on checking out, I got the distinct feeling that they were already aware of the problem, but still allocating the affected rooms. She said it was a pity I had not rung down to Reception as they could have had a portable fan sent to the room! (Given that a fan moves air but does not cool it, that would have been an inadequate response anyway!) I note that I am not the only reviewer to mention this, so why has nothing been done about it?
There was also considerable confusion about the dinner deal that I had pre-booked for the Friday and rung a few days earlier to confirm. First Reception had us down for Thursday, which they corrected (or did they?), then the restaurant waiter told us we were not listed for the dinner deal (which caused some embarrassment), then the restaurant supervisor told us not to worry because it had all been sorted out. When I checked out on Saturday morning, I asked for a printed statement of hotel charges. It was a good job I did! There nestling amongst other charges for drinks and so on was the amount of £52 for two dinners! When I pointed this out, Reception apologised and removed the amount. The point is that when hotels like this one take imprints of credit cards, it would be very easy for their guests to assume the hotel charges are accurate and many people do not scrutinise their credit card statements very closely. I am sure this was not deliberate overcharging, but it was all very sloppy on the part of the staff and could have been to my cost. Moral to other guests: check your bill carefully!
In our room, I felt that a fridge and a safe would have been useful. The shower panel on the bath was too small and loose, resulting in a small lake on the bathroom floor after a shower.
Breakfast is the usual layout of various foods, but lacking any presentational flair. There is also a menu with extra options that can be requested, but the waiters do not ask you.
Dinner could best be described as average - nothing special at all. Raw vegetables (broccoli spears and artichoke hearts) are not to everyone's taste, but chefs do not seem to understand this. My strawberry mousse might have been better if it had tasted of strawberry!

This was not a bad hotel as such, just a bit wanting in various respects, and therefore not as enjoyable a stay as we had anticipated. Someone needs to put their finger on the pulse of quality control!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank egdels
Aventura, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Brief but very pleasant stay, the surroundings are beautiful, trees and greenery everywhere. The hotel has great architecture, woodwork and elegance. The hotel was recommended by the business i was visiting and it was a great choice, very quiet.

Stayed July 2014
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I recently stayed over night at crewe hall as I was visiting crewe for a function. Firstly it's is well signed from the M6 , no problem with spotting the entrance by car. On first impressions as I arrived on the drive way to the main hall I was very impressed with the surroundings, a very grand entrance through large gates. The only thing I wasn't too keen on was the amount of cars parked outside the reception .. It would look better if this was empty. We parked up easily in one of the side car parks as there was plenty of spaces. Once in the reception we were greeted with a warm welcome , lovely members of staff and extremely polite and helpful , I had a couple of questions on breakfast and they were answered in a helpful manner.
We took a short walk to our room which was situated in the new build accommodation and I was very pleased with the standard of the room, everything as expected nice bed, tv, lovely big bathroom, iron and trouser press. We immediately ordered some food from the menu, which took approximately 30 mins to be delivered to the room , not bad , a little pricey and to my surprise no condiments, sauces vinegar salt pepper, trivial but essential when eating a burger and chips ... Shouldn't really need to ask for such basic things.
So we left for our function in the town centre by taxi that I pre booked with reception when we arrived, very thankful.
The next morning we received a knock on the door and our breakfast had been delivered, this we ordered the night before , quite simply filling in the card and placing on the door handle outside. Every thing was cooked nicely too,.
May I add through out the night the sleep was extremely peaceful even when there was a wedding reception that evening.
To summarise we had a lovely stay unfortunately we never had time to visit the spa, pool or restaurant or bar so I will not comment on them ,I think the meals are a little pricey for the standard but that is just a personal opinion but that would not put me off staying there again .......... we will be staying again sometime in the future as it is a very lovely hotel with lovely staff..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Spence_007_12
Kilwinning, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel in a wonderful old building full of character. The new part of the hotel is ok, but dies more resemble a travel lodge. That said the gardens and facilities are first rate, with a great gym, useful swimming pool and great spaces to sit, drink and relax in. The only let down was the food. Bit bland and overpriced in the restaurant which was also featureless. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. A great place to stay whether business or pleasure.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
LLandudno
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

The original old hall is a beautiful building with character and charm, check in was quick and efficient although one of our group rooms was not ready until after 5.00pm.
Most rooms seem to be in the new build which can best be described as a soulless characterless building designed by supermarket planners.
The bedroom room was nice enough a little corporate, but large, airy and well equipped with a good sized bathroom and large bed. Pillows are shocking and should be upgraded. Fantastic curtains so the room was fabulously dark in the morning.
The pool area is more like a municipal swimming pool, there were swimming lessons the afternoon we were there, which did nothing to improve the ambiance.

The restaurant, is a modern `canteen` style space. We arrived for lunch at 2.10pm - the receptionist reluctantly gave us a table, making it clear through her watch checking that we needed to be quick - not quite the service you perhaps expect.

Dinner was fine - tasty and well served, the staff just need a few finishing touches to make them a little more observant of guests needs. Breakfast was good - apart from the coffee which was terrible.

There is so much scope for this hotel to be excellent, but it lets itself down with the terrible build design, lack of attention to detail and terrible signage around the new build, making navigation difficult.

There is tons of outside space, but none of it used for any purpose. setting up lovely outside areas would be a real benefit. The grounds outside the leisure area are very neglected and sad looking. The impression is of a project not quite finished.

I probably would go here again, but only if i got a really good offer. There are much better SPA hotels in the Cheshire area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Happygirltraveller
Wirral, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Having been to Crewe Hall a few times I was really looking forward to returning with my friend for a girly spa break! Check in was good and quick as we had had a stressful journey with bad traffic so the receptionist was nice enough to listen to us! However our package included a bottle of fizz in the room which wasnt there. Called reception to be told it wasnt on our notes an I was asked to trek all the way to reception to show my confirmation. As it was a long walk I suggested as the guset who was paying money thay they send someone to come to me which they did. After goin back an forth we got our fizz but was made to feel like we were lying. We were on a spa break which had lunch which we went for before our treatments an was really nice. The let down was the spa for us as we both chose the fit for business treatment an after comparing notes in the relaxation room it was very apparent that my friend had had a not so great experience. I can't fault mine as my therapist was brilliant but I think if your paying the same money an getting the same treatment you shudnt expect to hear that one therapist didn't do half the things the other did so that was disappointing! Room was fine as standard rooms go but it was extremely hot an hard to sleep as the air con didn't seem to work very well room 4144 u should get that checked. The best part of the whole stay was the evening meal...food was amazing and our waiter Cameron was very good an easy on the eye too!! Overall it was a good stay but ive definitely had better service from them and I hope if I ever return standards will be back to what ive been used to.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Booboo16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Mottram Hall
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,366 reviews
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!