“Lovely park, well kept”
Review of Queens Park

Queens Park
Ranked #2 of 34 things to do in Crewe
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Crewe is not the first place for the average traveller, but if you've been to the railway attractions, why not try Queen's Park? Crewe obviously spends money on this park and keeps it well. It is a most unusual oval shape, and was laid out at the time when it was a matter of civic pride to provide a good park, when people respected a park and didn't hang out in it, break bottles and throw litter or let their dogs mess it up. Flower displays -excellent. Boating lake. New cafe and loos -this is a particularly attractive building as it complements the Victorian lodges and clock tower. Children's playground. Woodland walking. Do not diss this place- some parks are so run-down and neglected these days, and you are lucky to find this one in good nick. Well done, Crewe.

1  Thank sarw

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Crewe park has been undergoing a transformation to develop it into a lovely modern open space for families to picnic, cyclists and walkers alike. The redeveloped cafe looked as though it was popular though we didn't have time to pop in. A lovely asset for Crewe and it was great to see it so well used the day that we visited.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Having family nearby this is a good place to stop to give our boys half an hour to play. They love it of course (the play equipment is very good) as, unlike any adult who visits, they do not notice all the faults.
Having obviously had a major refurbishment it is sad to see that it appears unfinished! How can they allow paths to remain half complete! The small lake has never been clean and is anything but an attraction (I recall as a child also) and I would advise that it is drained, filled and landscaped. Being a site with no staff (apart from cafe) you worry as a parent about what hazards may be present to children.
I expect we will visit again - something of the nostalgia and 'I went as a child' thing seems to pull us back whenever we are in the area!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We went to Crewe park again today. We often go as my youngest likes the skate park. I hate going there as it is always such a filthy mess. strewn with litter that has clearly been there for some time. Overgrown with weeds and brambles, field covered in dog poo. Despite the 6 million being spent on it, someone at the council didn't think to allow for a park ranger. apparently of the ones who were there, they were made redundant a couple of years ago and now there is one full time employee looking after Queens park and others.
We walked around the main park as well which is beautifully laid out, if you can see beyond the rubbish and uneven paths. There are now peddle boats on the boating lake that can be hired.
We visited the Pickle Cafe. Whenever I go in there I always regret it. Consistently slow poor service. 1 young girl slowly serving at the counter. An older lady who was working very hard and desperately trying to keep up with orders. (It wasn't exactly busy, approx 20 people in there when we visited). I had a bacon and egg barm. Bacon beyond crispy, looked and tasted as thought it had been reheated many times over a few days. An egg that was dry, overcooked and frazzled - much like the poor lady who brought it to our table. Appalling but as the older lady was clearly trying her best, I didn't complain. The place felt dirty, there was a pile of stacked tables left in the main walk through. Tables were left with plates and cups on for some time. Such a shame. This place should be real money spinner all round the year but especially in the summer months. One hassled woman and a slow moving incompetent young girl are not enough to run this place clearly. Please put in proper management and staff to help this place fulfil its undoubted potential.

1  Thank Helen O
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

It makes me laugh when I read a complaint about queens park. In the Chronicle, on Facebook or sites such as this. Guaranteed those that are complaining visit Queens park on a lovely sunny day! I like to go with my little boy who is almost 2. He plays on the play area, walks around by the lodges and bowling green round to the main drive. We have an Ice cream from the Pickle jar cafe. Then feed the ducks and continue our walk. It's a good afternoon out! Sometimes we take a picnic too. Overall even though people complain it's a free park so we are lucky to have it!

4  Thank Blonde_stace