“Room for improvement ”

Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ellesmere Port
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on the 19.11.13
On booking into the hotel (early by the way) the lovely receptionist (Derron) quickly sorted both my colleague and I our rooms out. Very professional and friendly by the way.
We presented our products to customers in a small room where the temperature control seemed to be an issue.
We had a buffet style hit lunch in the restaurant where the food and service was excellent and the chefs should be commended.
That evening after a meal at a local restaurant I retired back to my room for a shower and a good nights sleep.
Unfortunately I was unable to engage the shower mechanism and for ease resorted to having a bath. I was feeling cold after the bath and tried to adjust the room temperature which had no affect what so ever in the room. I suspect it was broke just like that of the room we had presented in earlier that day.
When checking out I informed a receptionist of the issue. She was concerned and summoned her line manager who really couldn't care less to be honest. She more concerned about guests arriving for a meeting. I was left feeling disappointed.
On attempting to leave the hotel I was first blocked in by a delivery driver and then after 10 mins I was able to get out of the carparking space to get trapped once again by a laundry truck on the small single track bridge for another 10 min. This was very inconvenient and annoying.
I don't think I would choose to stop here again. There are some basic fundamental issues that need addressing to make this a good place to stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I had the plesure of staying at the hotel for just over a month due to my work on the shut down on the oil refinery, during my stay the staff..... Stacey, Toni, Rick and especially Holly to name a few were great. Some of the other staff were great to but i cant remember their names, sorry. The rooms were nice and clean and the food was the majority of the time good ....but it depended which chef was on. I would have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Holiday Inn from 6th - 8th of November. It was my first visit to Ellesmere Port to visit relatives. I took my mother. Let's get started on the review. ..
Staff: On arrival we were greeted by an amazingly friendly girl called Sinead. She was really welcoming and easy to get on with. We arrived at 10am so although our room was not ready Sinead kindly kept our bags. She always had a smile and a chat for us. Just a real gem. Vicky in the breakfast room too was brilliant at her job, always in hand to get anything we needed. Also Bernie one of the cleaners/fitness instructors was always buzzing about and good for a bit of banter Cheers folks.

Rooms: We had a double bed and sofa bed. Both comfortable and room clean. View out onto the lock with boats, ducks etc. Was just a nice temperature so I never used the air conditioning. Bathroom had shower and n bath with shampoo shower gel ect. Cleaners done a good job.
Location: Its located in a nice seeing beside the water. There are some nice old canal boats. Ellesmere Port itself does not have much happening but the Cheshire Oaks Shopping Center is only a 5 min ride away and is massive.

Breakfast: All you can eat self service breakfast. Lovely. You can have your cooked breakfast or cereals. One of the nicest breakfasts Iv had in hotels. Be aware if this is not into your room price its about £13 per person per day.

To sum the place up I would stay again no problem. The staff made the hotel and that means alot so if the managers reading this. .. give Sinead, Bernie & Vicky a big pat on the back cause they are a big part of what makes the place. See you again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Justin_Dreamz
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed one night on a shopping trip. Staff really helpful and could not do enough for you. Hotel immaculate. Food ok but nothing special. Only fault was room too hot with air con not really working. Would recommend highly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Booked this as closer to Cheshire Oaks than a Premier Inn, also has pool so thought the kids would have something extra to do. The hotel itself was pleasant although basic but the pool was too small (& on sat am was being used for swimming lessons), changing rooms were old & dirty & gym equipment was rusty! Otherwise the hotel was in a convenient location for Chester, Cheshire Oaks & Liverpool. Bar area was pleasant & rooms were adequate.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KG1967
widnes77, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear KG1967

Many thanks for your comments regarding the hotel I am glad that you found the hotel pleasant. I have spoken to the fitness suit manager who will put a more rigid cleaning process in place.

Many Thanks
Paul Borg

Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on Oct 31 for Halloween and bought 2 rooms one for my wife and I and one for our daughter.
We were welcomed well with all staff dressed in suitable "horrific" style, they were however the total opposite, very charming, and to my eyes very hard working. Josie was particularly cheerful at breakfast. Good location near Cheshire Oaks outlet, adequate parking and a pool.The breakfast was good. We had some criticisms however, this hotel is looking a bit tired, the staff were not able to deal with the influx of guests for dinner and we had a long wait. Food was OK. I was disappointed with my shower,it seemed to be fixed to an average temperature? and was a bit weak. Beds were good. Nice lounge, liked the pictures. Overall average to good. Would be pleased to return after the makeover!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank lingopete

Dear lingopete

Thank you very much for your comments regarding our hotel. I am was very pleased to read how you found the staff very charming in particular Josie.

I am sorry that you had a long wait for your dinner and I forwarded your comments to the food and beverage manger.

Many Thanks
Paul Borg

Reviewed 30 October 2013

When we arrived at the hotel reception we were met by a young lady who had a fit of the giggles and instead of attending to us continued to converse and fool around with another employee.
We eventually had our key and went to the room. It was a normal hotel room very comfortable and clean. During the rest of our stay the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was good.
I would just remind the reception that you only get one chance to make a good first impression and you failed

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Childer Thornton
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 45 in Chester

Been to Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks? Share your experiences!