“Watch out for Debit card funds deposit hold”

Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ellesmere Port
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Reasonable hotel, staff very pleasant. Breakfast was very good.Location was very nice next to the locks and shipping canal. Area away from hotel not so good.

On booking in beware of deposit charged to your debit card. They ask for your debit or credit card to pre-authorise your payment for your stay. What they do NOT inform you is that they actually put some of your funds which you have in your bank on hold. The amount they place a hold on is equivalent to your first nights stay, so if your first night is £70 then they put a hold on an extra £70. if it's £160 then £160 is held ans so on.
Therefore when you check out they take the money for your stay from your bank but the extra they have pre-authorised you stays on hold which means you have funds in your bank account which you can not access until they release the hold on it. In my case it has now been a total of 1 week.
I telephoned my bank today to be told that the hold will be removed by the bank if they have not claimed the ,money by next Saturday, which they should not as the actual bill has been paid and has cleared in my bank, so the funds in my bank are still unavailable to me. This has caused my mortgage payment to bounce which will then incur me extra charges by the bank.
This is totally wrong!! They have caused me to have a problem I would never otherwise of had!!!!
Also they DO NOT inform you about this deposit hold when you book in.

As for the room. The bath is so narrow to stand in to shower and very slippery once it is wet and soapy it is dangerous. The thin quilt on the bed, if you look under it,s cover has seen better days. ! pack of 3 biscuits between 2 people in the room with the complimentary tea/coffee.

Some parts of carpet in corridore threadbare and puckered up this is an accident waiting to happen.

I think they need to spend a little money on the soft furnishings, carpets, and dated bathrooms.
A complimentary packet of biscuits each with our complimentary tea/coffee would be most welcome.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the canal marina.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Michelle M, Manager at Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear ShropshireNaafi1,

I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience you had had since checking out of the Hotel. If you could please call the Hotel on 0151 356 8111 we would like to discuss this with you further and see if we can be of any assistance.

With regards to the bathrooms and the soft furnishings. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment program at the Hotel, our Mercer Suite has recently been completed and the corridor carpets are also on our program to be repaired and this will be completed in due course.

I will also pass on your comments regarding the complimentary biscuits in the bedroom to the relevant department.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights with 2 rooms for my partner and I and his mother.
Contacted the hotel before arriving and they were able to sort out accessible and connecting rooms without a problem. The rooms were fine overlooking the canal. Parking was ok outside the hotel or across the canal bridge.
Breakfast was good although the toasters need to be sorted out as either they didn't toast or burnt it.
The hotel is used for weddings and this was my only complaint. Our rooms were right by the lift and drinks machines, so we were disturbed by wedding goers going to bed at 2.30am talking and getting drinks. Also weddings can cause a problem with parking as they double park and take disabled spots with no cards.

Other than that, good hotel to stay for the area. Handy for the Wirral Peninsula, Chester, Cheshire Oaks and Liverpool.

Stayed: May 2014

Dear Brodders,

I'm glad to hear that you had a good stay and that our staff were efficient in helping to allocate you an accessible and interconnection bedrooms.

I'm sorry to hear that you were disturbed by guests attending the Wedding. We do always try to allocate bedrooms to guests attending functions and other leisure guests separate but unfortunately this isn't always possible.

I hope this would not stop you staying with us again and I hope that we can welcome you back to the Hotel again in the future

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Positive points:
- friendly welcome
- spacious and clean rooms
- fitness and swimming pool in front of the hotel
- free wifi (although not very fast during the evening)
- restaurant quite ok for a Holiday Inn and very very friendly staff

Improvement points:
- rooms are little old (especially bathroom)
- the bathroom sink smells really bad when pooring water into it
- shower is not good, pressure on the water is very low in room 127
- rooms have connecting doors which make them quite noisy (could hear entire conversations of my neighbours)
- no free bottle of water in the room, there is a vending machine on the hallway, but a bottle of water would be nice (increase the price of the room with 1£ and I won't complain, makes it just easier) or just install a mini-bar

All by all I had a nice stay of 4 nights but there are some points of improvement

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Torutoper
Michelle M, Manager at Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear tmstt,

Thank you for your review following your resent stay at the Holiday Inn Ellesmere Port / Cheshire Oaks and for your comments regarding improvements.

I have passed on your comments to our Maintenance Engineer who is going to investigate the problem with the Sink and the Water Pressure in room 127.

I'm glad to hear that all in all you had a good stay with us and our staff made you feel welcome.

I hope that you would choose to stay with us again and we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Hotel in a real nice location right next to the boat museum, and just off the motorway...aprox 3 min by car from Cheshire oaks....staff were very nice esp the girl that booked us in, forgot her name but she was from Overpool , nothing was to much for her, we asked for a room upgrade and as the hotel was not t busy she did it for us, she was also able to tell us of some nice places for a meal.
Ask for a room over looking the boat canal, it is so nice....all in i could not fault this hotel over the satff and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Michelle M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Tony2468,

I am pleased to hear that you had a good stay with us, you enjoyed our location and that you found our team members to be helpful. We do like to pride ourselves on good customer service.

I hope that you will chose to stay with us again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We attended a wedding at the hotel and decided to make a weekend of it. So booked a room the hotel is lovely and rooms were excellent the only let down were the prices of drinks at the Bar £4.60 for a Beer and £1.95 for a Soft Drink. Other than that it was a lovely friendly hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
Michelle M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Sean291,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Ellesmere Port / Cheshire Oaks. I am pleased to hear you had a good stay with us.

Our bar prices is something that we are currently reviewing, I hope this won't put you off staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We chose this hotel as it was close to cheshire oaks designer village and Chester, on our approach to the hotel I was a little worried about where we were staying as its a little run down, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! It's setting on the canal is very quaint!

The staff were very friendly and helpful and we dined in the restaurant in the evening were the food was superb and reasonably priced too.
Our room was very clean and the bed comfortable. In the bathroom there was no mould in sight!

I would like to add that although there was a wedding in one of the function rooms we could not hear any noise in our room!

Great place to stay to visit Chester, which itself has a beautiful city centre.

I would definitely stay here again, especially as you can book a stay here for nearly the same price as the travelodge at cheshire oaks. This is a much better hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear bexywexy1980,

I am pleased to hear that you had a good stay at the Hotel, you enjoyed our location and the food in our restaurant.

I am glad to hear that you will be staying with us again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with my daughter. Nice hotel with lovely views, clean, great staff and such a choice at breakfast! Couldn't fault our stay! Comfy beds and decent size room, ironing board and iron too. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Elaine C,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Ellesmere Port / Cheshire Oaks and for your recommendation.

I'm pleased to hear that you and your Daughter had a lovely stay and I hope that we can welcome you back to the Hotel again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellesmere Port
3 mi away
Brook Meadow Hotel
Brook Meadow Hotel
#2 of 2 in Childer Thornton

Been to Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks? Share your experiences!