“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ellesmere Port
Nottingham
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I took my mum here for her birthday it was one of the best hotels i have stayed in the rooms were modern, bright , spacey and clean, we stayed in one of the rooms to the side of the hotel ( room 17 ) it was perfect. The staff were excellent and friendly and will be returning although the resturant in the hotel looked nice we went down the road to the Chimmeys it was also very good and value for money

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Havant, Hampshire
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Lovely, small, family-run hotel in a semi-rural location within easy reach of Liverpool and the Wirral. Rooms were newly refurbished, clean and comfortable. Food in the restaurant was of exceptional quality and reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Scotland
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We stayed at the Woodcote recently for our friend's wedding. Our room was lovely - spacious and the decor was fresh and modern. The staff were all wonderful. The food that evening was delicious – a real variety of both hot and cold dishes. P.S Thanks to the bar staff for the “Cosmo” cocktails – Man were they potent! .

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I attended a family wedding at The Woodcote Hotel on Saturday 31st January. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome. We had a superior room (No 14). The room was spacious, flat screen television, very comfortable bed with lovely quilt and the bathroom - well the power shower was something else. A very spacious shower room, with plenty of space and plenty of extras - lovely fluffy bath sheets - yes not towels. The restaurant and bar area are beautifully and tastefully decorated. The food is superb and the service is excellent. A really lovely family run this hotel and the refurbishment they have carried out on this hotel makes this an excellent venue for a wedding, a business stay, a weekend stay etc. It is ideally situated for exploring Liverpool, Chester Oaks and loads of other interesting places nearby.

I would unhesitatingly recommended this hotel and I don't think it's 3 stars do it justice.

• Liked — Just everything - lovely room and excellent service
  • Disliked — There was nothing I disliked
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prenton
Reviewed 2 February 2009

We had our wedding reception at the Woodcote - what a perfect venue! Everyone there was so helpful and friendly, and went above and beyond to make sure that everything went well.
The hotel rooms are great - all beautifully decorated and spacious. All our guests commented on how great the food was, and how stunning the hotel was. But most of all, the reason you should stay at the Woodcote is how wonderful and friendly the staff are. Think Malmaison without the pretensions.

• Liked — The staff and the decor
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed January 2009
North west
Reviewed 17 September 2008

The Woodcote has recently been taken over by a new family, completely gutted and redesigned. Having visited a long while ago I was slightly concerned at the thought of going back - how wrong could I have been! The atmosphere is now wonderful, the rooms and communal areas (especially the new bar and reception) spotless, of really high quality, and beautifully designed. The food is also top notch..
I urge you to try this now completely renovated place for yourself - it's unrecognisable from the dingy woodcote of the past...

• Liked — friendliness of staff, superb facilities
  • Stayed September 2008
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2007

Having had to be evacuated from our original hotel, we were reserved a room at what can only be described as Fawlty Towers. The hotel looks charming and quaint from the outside so we thought it was going to be fine. How wrong could we have been? Upon entering the reception area we were hit with the smell. A mixture of musty, damp and food. After waiting over 15 minutes for someone to even acknowledge our presence we knew it was going to be a long night! We were eventually checked in and shown to our room. Unbeknown to us there was some sort of out building behind the hotel which housed the laundry. Our room was attached to this and is the strangest hotel room I have EVER stayed in. I can honestly say it didn't LOOK dirty, apart from the dodgy stains on one set of bed sheets, but there was a stench that nearly knocked us out. I swear there was a rotting body or animal somewhere under the floor! There were no other rooms so we had to just make do. By this time it was nearly midnight, we were tired and just didn't have the energy to complain any more. I woke on several occassions gagging with the smell. I had to sleep with the sheet over my head to try and block it out. The bathroom was carpeted rather than tiled which I don't think is appropriate for a hotel - much easier to clean a tiled floor on a daily basis? The ceiling above the shower was covered in black mould / mildew. This bathroom had definitely seen better days and more hygienic decor. I can't comment on the bar or restaurant - neither was in use when we arrived at 11pm and we didn't want to stay long enough the following day to investigate either. Thankfully we were able to go back to our original hotel the next again night. There is no way I could have stayed at the Woodcote Hotel another night. In the morning I tried to comment on the room to a member of staff, saying that I really thought they should investigate the smell in particular. The exact reply I got was "I don't really care, I only work here but I'll pass your comments on". I very much doubt this was done as I have never heard from them despite leaving my contact details. To be honest I'm beyond caring as I don't want to even think about this hotel again,let alone stay in it. This is the first time I have posted such a negative review but I really feel I have to warn people of this poorly run establishment. It's by no means an expensive place to stay but regardless of how much you pay you expect the place to be clean and not a health hazzard. My advice is to drive right past without stopping, don't let the exterior fool you as it did us.

• Liked — Nice exterior
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank lisae74
Woodcotehotel, Manager at Woodcote Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Guest

I am not sure why this review has been posted, i have contacted tripadviser to ask for this review to be removed, this review has no reflection on how this hotel is run.

We have an excellent review structure to the Woodcote Hotel, our hotel is family run and we are all very proud of how this hotel has performed over the last 5 years.

Kind Regards

Inglewood Manor
Inglewood Manor
#2 of 3 in Ledsham
Premier Inn Wirral (Childer Thornton) Hotel
Premier Inn Wirral (Childer Thor...
#1 of 2 in Childer Thornton
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa

Been to Woodcote Hotel? Share your experiences!