“Disgusting Spa break”

Hallmark Hotel Manchester
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Handforth
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I cannot comment on the hotel itself as we didn't stay here, I can only comment on the spa which we had booked as a package through a company called Red 7 as part of a hen do package. We were told our 'spa' day was 11-4 so running a few mins late we telephoned ahead to say we would be a little late. We arrived at 11.05 am and went into reception not knowing the 'spa' was the building next door. We were directed around to the side and I was dubious from the beginning, the square mustardy coloured building didn't look overly appealing. We signed into the 'spa' reception area whilst our lady who'd organised the day went to sort out our treatment times. By the time we signed in it was 11.15. The reception was dated, the leather type chairs were worn, the paint was peeling on the walls, the windows were condensed with old frames and best of all was the plaster that had been knocked off the edge at the top of the room that went around the entire room. Our lady came back and was a little stressed to say the least as she had organised the whole weekend and she was now told as we were late they couldn't fit our whole party in for treatments and could do 5 of the 14 of us. We were told we should have been there at 10.30 for treatments to start at 11, however our information had said 11-4! When this was pointed out to the lady who I believe was the spa manager she said we had arrived at 11.30 and we were too late. (The reception book said 11.15 and that was after arriving in the spa and 14 of us signing in)! The manager said she would have to get extra staff in to complete the treatments and when pointed out this was a hen weekend and our information said 11 it was agreed the hotel would put some complimentary sandwiches and wine on at 3pm, this was as well as the cocktail that was part of our package. Whilst waiting to be instructed where to go a gym member came and told the receptionist the female showers weren't working, either clap cold or a trickle of warmth. The spa receptionist then told us she had loaned all but one padlock out so our lockers wouldn't be able to lock! We could take our valuables to the pool side. We made our way to the changing rooms passing two signs, one for men and one for women telling them at certain dates in march there would be no changing facilities. The changing rooms were ok but no means of locking your belongings in to a safe place. The pool is nothing like the photograph management have provided for this site. There were 3 loungers which were in use already. Orange plastic school type chairs on the edge of the pool to put your towel or your belongings you couldn't put in your locker. The breeze block wall was grubby, mould in the tiles and up the walls and chewing gym stuck on the water fountain. There was a huge bulge in the ceiling that could have gone at any minute, not sure what that was but it didn't look safe. It was no better than a badly managed council pool. I had my facial which I cannot complain about and the staff were friendly. At 2.30 some of us headed to the bar for our 3pm cocktail that was part of the package and the complimentary wine and sandwiches. On checking this was still in order we were told we would get cakes and a cocktail. The sandwiches and wine were discussed again, it had been their idea after all, and we were told there was too many of us and they didn't want us to be late for our taxis which were booked at 4! They promised the sandwiches at 11.30 so why was it now a panic that we wouldn't get our taxis if they provided sandwiches? If they had made them for 3pm as promised we would be done in time. She then said we would get a cocktail. The cocktail was part of our package anyway which we had already paid for!! We asked about the wine and 'Jean' the duty manager said we were getting a cocktail, she didn't think we would want wine as well, when it was pointed out she had promised complimentary wine and said it was a hen do she said as she walked away, I don't know if she tried to say it under her breath or not, 'I'm glad you're not staying here if you drink like that!' We got cakes and wine, no sandwiches but as we had been promised them none of our party had had lunch and were all starving. We rang for our taxis to come early and left in disgust! One of our party came for that day alone and paid for her spa day seperatley at a cost of £70! For that £70 we got a run down building, false promises and rudeness! I would not recommend this place at all. It was dirty and grubby and 'Jean' had no manners, first saying we were too late for treatments. I accept we were 5 mins late which they were notified about but tried to say we had arrived half an hour late, making promises they had no intention of keeping and the comments made as she walked away were heard by more than one of our party. The spa is in such poor condition i would not give it 1 out of 5! Apparently the photos we had seen before going are what it is going to look like. False advertising I think!!

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Clare F
LindaGregory, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for your review, which was disapointing to read. I do apologize you never enjoyed your spa day with us. I have spoken to the team on duty that day in depth about your comments and there does appear to be some conflicting information with regards to your comments. It does appear the main issue stemmed from confusion in time your treatments were booked for. Unfortunately if guests are late for treatments, we will do our upmost to re-schedule however as with any spa this may not always be the case.
The spa is under full refurbishment at the moment hence the works being completed in reception, my apologies you felt this affected your visit.
My team have assured me they did there best to try and rectify your concerns on the day in what appears to have been a very difficult situation. I am sorry you felt this was not the case.
Once again my apologies you did not enjoy your visit.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were given a 2 night stay as a wedding gift.
when we arrived the hotel seemed quite nice from the front and the reception area was nice and modern. The lady who checked us in was very friendly and helpful. the lift was broken so had to carry baggage up 3 flights of stairs - not a big issue as I had my personal bag carrier (my husband). the hallway smelt lovely and fresh so we were looking forward to getting to see our room. it was room 301 and it looked nice to begin with - the bathroom was a bit too small, but very modern. We then started noticing little issues, as if the cleaner couldnt be bothered to clean it properly - dirty spoons in the tea cups. the strawberry's dipped in chocolate had been there for hours so had dried out (I think they should just get rid of this idea). dust on the bedside tables and just a general dirty feeling when we were sat in the room.
We didn't get much sleep both nights as there was a strange loud-ish noise coming from outside - like a motor/generator constantly throughout the day and night.
we decided to go and have a look at the 'spa' - it seemed to be full of locals and the swimming pool had swimming lessons - so as we wanted a relaxing spa, we completely avoided this.
Breakfast was nice and plentiful - but again, dirty cutlery and dirty plates.
would not personally pay to stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xklkjx

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on your recent stay.

Your comments regarding cleanliness are surprising and I do apologize that you felt this. We do pride our self on housekeeping standards and I will immediately discuss your comments with my housekeeper.
The health club does host a private membership locally , however it is vary rarely busy with members , I am sorry you felt this was the case . Ordinarily we do not have an issue with the club being too busy.
All cutlery used in the hotel is polished prior to use so again this is suprising my apologies you were not happy with this.

Once again thank you for your comments
Kind regards ,

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My sister and I had a 1 night break and although the hotel was in an odd area we had a really pleasant stay, especially as my sister had a fainting spell at breakfast which they dealt with in a sympathetic and professional manner. We couldn't fault the service and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The Tapas (included) was very tasty and the breakfast provided CRISPY bacon! and proper scrambled egg.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent stay.

Your comments will be shared with the team and I am delighted you found the staffs so helpful, they make a tremendous effort to ensure guests stay are as good as possible.

I would also have to agree with your comments on the scrambled eggs and crispy bacon... there the best !!

Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 March 2014

After booking the spa retreat and afternoon tea for a friends birthday, We arrived to dirty changing room with mould an dirty nappies on the floor after deciding to give the spa area a try was shocked to find children's swimming lessons going on in the pool! Which defiantly didn't make it a 'relaxing spa retreat' pool area was also in need of a good paint and clean! Wouldn't recommend to anybody!!!! Biggest false advertisement I have ever seen.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Nataliekingx

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it was disappointing to read you never enjoyed your visit with us and I do offer my apologies. As with most health clubs swimming lessons are on for a couple of hours twice a week and we do try to limit this to off peak times.
It is unfortunate that a guest cleary never use the bins provided, we do our up most to keep the changing rooms clean and I am sorry you felt they were not on this occasion, and your comments will be reviewed immediately .
Regards

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Visited this Hotel for afternoon tea, bit of a disappointment, room dark with not much atmosphere, tables hadn't been cleaned and the floor needed a good hoover, food on the floor etc. The coffee was only just warm. Food was OK with plenty to eat. Sandwiches, cakes and scones. Didn't feel we had had a treat at all, which is what afternoon tea is all about. Won't be going back, what a shame.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

My sincere apologies you never enjoyed your afternoon tea experience with us. Feedback on this offering is normally excellent so your comments are disappointing. Coffee is brewed freshly to guest order Barrista style so I am unsure why the temperature was not hot enough however will review.

Kind regards

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed at the hallmark as a stop over before flying from Manchester airport the night before our flight and on the way back. The hotel is in a good area. within easy reach of the airport, the Trafford centre and has a mall just at the end of he road with a john lewis and sainsburys.
on our 1st night we had a three course meal and a breakfast the next morning which was in a package for £80 including our room, which was excellent value. there was a small supplement for steak or shell fish but well worth it.
There is a health club which can be used, the bar area is very relaxing although the drink is a bit expensive.
rooms are comfortable and of a decent standard
The APH car parking for the airport is a 5min drive away, easy to find and can recommend them as their service was excellent.
We arrived back in the uk at 2am but checking in was of no problem and check out was not till 11am, most places are usually 10am so bonus points for that.
Would definitely return to this hotel if flying out from Manchester airport or a trip to the Trafford centre.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mgflooring

Dear guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review . It was great to read you found your stay with us so enjoyable and such good value for money .

I do hope you will return to the hotel at some time in the near future .

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We were supposed to stay at another hotel but was sent here instead. If this hotel has had a 5 million pound refurbishment then the owner needs to get their money back!!! On entering the hotel it is partly painted, the roof had damp patches, the lifts didn't work and we were on the third floor,so we started up the steps only to have to wait for the cleaner to finish cleaning the stairs and this was at approx 14:30pm. The bar area was dark and dingy and not exactly clean and the drinks were very expensive. If we had paid the £98 I would be trying to get my money back, this is not even a 2*. Our bedroom had damp patches on the roof, it had not been cleaned the carpet was full of crumbs, the curtains looked like they had been screwed up and then put up at the windows in a hurry and the window frames were rusty and so we did not even try to open the window in case it fell out!!! The car park was full of holes and because of the rain it was muddy and it was difficult to find a decent path to walk to the reception. Not exactly what we expected of a 4* and certainly would not go again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
LindaGregory, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Guest,

What a disappointing review, I was sorry to read you never enjoyed your time with us.
I would have to disagree with the many comments you have posted and do feel they are out of context and unfair and in no way a representation of the product we have on offer. I can only put this down to personal preference.
I do hope guests will take notes of the many positive and accurate reviews on this site.

Once again my apologies you were not happy with the hotel.

Linda

Also consider these accommodations in or near Handforth
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester (Handforth) Hotel
Hallmark Inn Manchester South
Hallmark Inn Manchester South
#71 of 120 in Manchester
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport

Been to Hallmark Hotel Manchester? Share your experiences!