“Top spot”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Handforth
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Top spot”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The hotel was just off the A34 so very easy to find. After a long day it was lovely to be greated so warmly by the lady at reception. My room was a good size with modern decor. I ate dinner in the restaurant. As a lone female traveller it is often quite scary dinning alone, but not here, I was well looked after by Jess. The food was excellent and was fashionably well presented. After a comfortable nights sleep, the most important meal, breakfast, did not dissappoint. A large buffet style selection to set you up for another day. The best thing was definately the staff who showed genuine care.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank S T
LindaGregory, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review.

It was great to here you were well looked after by the team and your comments will be shared with them . It was good to read you were happy with your room and found it to be clean and modern .
It was great to read you enjoyed dinner and breakfast with us and thank you again for your kind comments .

Regards

Linda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed at the hallmark Manchester towards the end of February and I could not fault anything. When I came to check in I was greeted by a lovely young cheerful receptionist which always is a good sign when checking into a hotel.... The young lady on reception (couldn't get her name) told us the relevant information with great detail and we even got a dinner upgrade for a 3 course dinner for £20pp!!
The room was a great size and very spacious nothing I didn't expect from the website.
When we came down for dinner we were greeted again by a happy young gent. The food wes VERY VERY VERY good and the service was even better! Throughout the meal the staff where friendly and what ever we asked them for it was not a problem for them to get. Jamie who was serving us in the restaurant was very helpful and also told us about the packages that the hotel hold and we have booked this hotel again for a park and fly package in the summer as this was recommended by him.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone if they like great service and friendly staff!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Pollard92
LindaGregory, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear guest ,

What a pleasure to read you review, thank you so much for your kind comments .
It was great to read you had such a good time and your kind comments will be shared with all the team .

Once again thank you , and please do bear us in mind for future visits,

linda
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed over with my husand, my second time and his first. We had a package with dinner, brekfast and a treatment. From start to finish it was great. The food was excellent and the staff friendly and accommodating. Very much looking forward to our next stay

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie B
Dear Guest ,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to share such a posative review on the hotel . It was great to read you enjoyed all aspects and thank you indeed for your kind comments .

I do hope you will be visiting us again soon in the not to distant future

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The positives are - The room was very nice with a large television and all of the amenities you would expect. There were noisy neighbours (a hen do) who could clearly be heard cackling when on the landing but in the room itself we couldn't hear them (which was a relief). The plate of tapas which came with our Livingsocial deal was very nice and as you could help yourself I filled up with enough so that I didn't have to buy an evening meal! The spa facilities were good and overall I had a lovely stay.

The negatives are - First of all, they need to fix the lift. My wife and I had just completed a four hour hike in the Peak District so a room on the fourth floor with no lift became quite agonising! Of course, this would be more of a concern for elderly or disabled guests. The swimming lessons which required half of the pool to be roped off seemed a bit unfair - surely the pool should be for the guests? Finally, the noise from the wedding went well on past midnight. This did not concern my wife and I too much but it is easy to see how some guests could get annoyed with the constant 'thump thump' of the music when trying to get to sleep!

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay at the Hallmark Manchester and I would stay again :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leon W
LindaGregory, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay with us. It was great to read you enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed the facilities we have for guests.

My apologies that the lift was out of use. It is currently under full refurbishment and shall be up and running again this week, unfortunately it did have to be taken out of use whilst works are completed.

It was a shame you were disturbed by other guests in the hotel and my apologies that this was the case.

I do hope we will welcome you back to the hotel at some time in the not to distant future.

Wakefield
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I cannot comment on the hotel itself as we didn't stay here, I can only comment on the spa which we had booked as a package through a company called Red 7 as part of a hen do package. We were told our 'spa' day was 11-4 so running a few mins late we telephoned ahead to say we would be a little late. We arrived at 11.05 am and went into reception not knowing the 'spa' was the building next door. We were directed around to the side and I was dubious from the beginning, the square mustardy coloured building didn't look overly appealing. We signed into the 'spa' reception area whilst our lady who'd organised the day went to sort out our treatment times. By the time we signed in it was 11.15. The reception was dated, the leather type chairs were worn, the paint was peeling on the walls, the windows were condensed with old frames and best of all was the plaster that had been knocked off the edge at the top of the room that went around the entire room. Our lady came back and was a little stressed to say the least as she had organised the whole weekend and she was now told as we were late they couldn't fit our whole party in for treatments and could do 5 of the 14 of us. We were told we should have been there at 10.30 for treatments to start at 11, however our information had said 11-4! When this was pointed out to the lady who I believe was the spa manager she said we had arrived at 11.30 and we were too late. (The reception book said 11.15 and that was after arriving in the spa and 14 of us signing in)! The manager said she would have to get extra staff in to complete the treatments and when pointed out this was a hen weekend and our information said 11 it was agreed the hotel would put some complimentary sandwiches and wine on at 3pm, this was as well as the cocktail that was part of our package. Whilst waiting to be instructed where to go a gym member came and told the receptionist the female showers weren't working, either clap cold or a trickle of warmth. The spa receptionist then told us she had loaned all but one padlock out so our lockers wouldn't be able to lock! We could take our valuables to the pool side. We made our way to the changing rooms passing two signs, one for men and one for women telling them at certain dates in march there would be no changing facilities. The changing rooms were ok but no means of locking your belongings in to a safe place. The pool is nothing like the photograph management have provided for this site. There were 3 loungers which were in use already. Orange plastic school type chairs on the edge of the pool to put your towel or your belongings you couldn't put in your locker. The breeze block wall was grubby, mould in the tiles and up the walls and chewing gym stuck on the water fountain. There was a huge bulge in the ceiling that could have gone at any minute, not sure what that was but it didn't look safe. It was no better than a badly managed council pool. I had my facial which I cannot complain about and the staff were friendly. At 2.30 some of us headed to the bar for our 3pm cocktail that was part of the package and the complimentary wine and sandwiches. On checking this was still in order we were told we would get cakes and a cocktail. The sandwiches and wine were discussed again, it had been their idea after all, and we were told there was too many of us and they didn't want us to be late for our taxis which were booked at 4! They promised the sandwiches at 11.30 so why was it now a panic that we wouldn't get our taxis if they provided sandwiches? If they had made them for 3pm as promised we would be done in time. She then said we would get a cocktail. The cocktail was part of our package anyway which we had already paid for!! We asked about the wine and 'Jean' the duty manager said we were getting a cocktail, she didn't think we would want wine as well, when it was pointed out she had promised complimentary wine and said it was a hen do she said as she walked away, I don't know if she tried to say it under her breath or not, 'I'm glad you're not staying here if you drink like that!' We got cakes and wine, no sandwiches but as we had been promised them none of our party had had lunch and were all starving. We rang for our taxis to come early and left in disgust! One of our party came for that day alone and paid for her spa day seperatley at a cost of £70! For that £70 we got a run down building, false promises and rudeness! I would not recommend this place at all. It was dirty and grubby and 'Jean' had no manners, first saying we were too late for treatments. I accept we were 5 mins late which they were notified about but tried to say we had arrived half an hour late, making promises they had no intention of keeping and the comments made as she walked away were heard by more than one of our party. The spa is in such poor condition i would not give it 1 out of 5! Apparently the photos we had seen before going are what it is going to look like. False advertising I think!!

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Clare F
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for your review, which was disapointing to read. I do apologize you never enjoyed your spa day with us. I have spoken to the team on duty that day in depth about your comments and there does appear to be some conflicting information with regards to your comments. It does appear the main issue stemmed from confusion in time your treatments were booked for. Unfortunately if guests are late for treatments, we will do our upmost to re-schedule however as with any spa this may not always be the case.
The spa is under full refurbishment at the moment hence the works being completed in reception, my apologies you felt this affected your visit.
My team have assured me they did there best to try and rectify your concerns on the day in what appears to have been a very difficult situation. I am sorry you felt this was not the case.
Once again my apologies you did not enjoy your visit.
Linda

Travellers are raving about these Handforth hotels

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were given a 2 night stay as a wedding gift.
when we arrived the hotel seemed quite nice from the front and the reception area was nice and modern. The lady who checked us in was very friendly and helpful. the lift was broken so had to carry baggage up 3 flights of stairs - not a big issue as I had my personal bag carrier (my husband). the hallway smelt lovely and fresh so we were looking forward to getting to see our room. it was room 301 and it looked nice to begin with - the bathroom was a bit too small, but very modern. We then started noticing little issues, as if the cleaner couldnt be bothered to clean it properly - dirty spoons in the tea cups. the strawberry's dipped in chocolate had been there for hours so had dried out (I think they should just get rid of this idea). dust on the bedside tables and just a general dirty feeling when we were sat in the room.
We didn't get much sleep both nights as there was a strange loud-ish noise coming from outside - like a motor/generator constantly throughout the day and night.
we decided to go and have a look at the 'spa' - it seemed to be full of locals and the swimming pool had swimming lessons - so as we wanted a relaxing spa, we completely avoided this.
Breakfast was nice and plentiful - but again, dirty cutlery and dirty plates.
would not personally pay to stay at this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xklkjx
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on your recent stay.

Your comments regarding cleanliness are surprising and I do apologize that you felt this. We do pride our self on housekeeping standards and I will immediately discuss your comments with my housekeeper.
The health club does host a private membership locally , however it is vary rarely busy with members , I am sorry you felt this was the case . Ordinarily we do not have an issue with the club being too busy.
All cutlery used in the hotel is polished prior to use so again this is suprising my apologies you were not happy with this.

Once again thank you for your comments
Kind regards ,
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My sister and I had a 1 night break and although the hotel was in an odd area we had a really pleasant stay, especially as my sister had a fainting spell at breakfast which they dealt with in a sympathetic and professional manner. We couldn't fault the service and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The Tapas (included) was very tasty and the breakfast provided CRISPY bacon! and proper scrambled egg.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent stay.

Your comments will be shared with the team and I am delighted you found the staffs so helpful, they make a tremendous effort to ensure guests stay are as good as possible.

I would also have to agree with your comments on the scrambled eggs and crispy bacon... there the best !!

Kind Regards

Linda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Handforth
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Hallmark Inn Manchester South
Hallmark Inn Manchester South
#71 of 118 in Manchester
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport

Been to Hallmark Hotel Manchester? Share your experiences!