“Excellent service”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Handforth
Burnley, United Kingdom
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Visited for one night and spa use with large group of friends for a birthday.
Yes, there were minor issues (mainly our fault due to the multiple bookings) but any issues we did experience the staff were quick to correct and not even question. The spa facilities are fantastic for the price that we paid. The room was a good size and was spotless. Facilities at the hotel are everything you could need. The food is wow! :) excellent quality food with attentive staff giving good recommendations. The breakfast in the morning is highly recommended so make sure on the last night you pack your bag to really enjoy your breakkie.
TIP: If you run out of ciggies, there is a pub at entrance of the hotel, or a short walk (or quicker drive) to local Tesco.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I attended a christening celebration 25th may ( yesterday) was very poor ran out of glasses at the bar. One member of staff for the whole function for 100 people. After complaining one more member of staff started to clean glasses in the hand sink!!!!! Will not return. And will avoid all business trips here in future. Very poor I have to be honest.

• Stayed May 2014

Travellers are raving about these Handforth hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Myself, sister, Aunty and friend took my mum here for her 60th birthday for the spa break deal which includes the following (details from website) for £135 each:

•2 nights accommodation
•Full English breakfast
•Complimentary plate of tapas on one evening
•1 hour spa treatment per person
•3 course dinner on the 1st evening
•Further 10% discount on spa treatments (pre-booking essential)
•Complimentary use of the Health Club & Spa facilities
•Complimentary car parking
•Complimentary Wi-Fi

The hotel itself was easy to find and conveniently located near to the Trafford Centre (15 minutes away by car). However, due to the location I did have to drive as otherwise it would have cost us a fortune in taxis from the train station and to/from Trafford Centre (£22 each way is what we were quoted for the latter journey). I looked up public transport before our visit to see if this would be cheaper but using buses it would have taken us over an hour to get to the Trafford Centre, so for cost and ease this is why I chose to drive. Parking is free and seems secure enough but the car park was very busy both days of our stay so it might be quite difficult to park at times (we just about managed to find a spot).

First impressions of the hotel were not great - from the outside it looks odd as the hotel building is a combination of beautiful old architecture with a 1970's style paint job and extension. The spa building is an art deco one with flat roof and multiple windows and looked equally uninspiring from the outside.

Walking in to the hotel the decor was nice and it was clean. Check-in was straightforward enough. I paid for my stay upfront so as to avoid having to have my card swiped to allow for charges to be made for the room (we were staying in a room for 3 so didn't want this responsibility for all of us).

The lift is completely outdated for this hotel and not really fit for purpose - it's one of those ones that you have to open a swing door to get in to and fits one person in with minimal luggage. Luckily our room was only up one flight of stairs and right near them so we didn't have far to carry our luggage.

The room was nicely decorated with a modern interior - bright colours, leather furniture, flatscreen TV - and clean. As mentioned there were 3 of us staying in the room and although the size of the room and bed availability (large ?queensize? bed and sofabed) allowed for this there was no consideration of this in terms of facilities - there were two mugs and plates available for tea/coffee, one bath towel and one hand towel (although we did then find one more of each in the wardrobe) and one set of toiletries (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, hand cream). The wardrobe was entirely unfit for purpose as the rail was facing towards the door rather than horizontally fit and when I needed the ironing board out of it on our first night I ended up knocking the bar off - and all our clothes - as it was not fixed inside the wardrobe. There was no minibar in the room so a bottle of champagne we had brought for our special occasion was unable to be kept cool and the milks in the room for tea/coffee were also unable to be kept cool. There was a box of tissues provided on the dressing table but the first one in there had lipstick on it.

The bathroom was wonderfully decorated but the little details had not been thought about - the door had been fit the opposite way since the frame had first been fit so you could still see the space in the casing for the latch to fit in to on the opposite side, the water pipes were exposed (not in a deliberately attractive way) rather than boxed in and the toilet roll holder had been fit on an angle so the toilet roll would not stay on there. Due to the lack of space in the room the doorstop was fit directly in front of the bath where you put the bathmat so you either had to remember this for when you got out of the bath so as not to trip over it or not lay the bathmat down flat. I had a shower one night and a bath the other; the shower was easy enough to work and with a pleasing water temperature after a quick play around, the bath was so narrow it was hard to get washed in it and for this reason wouldn't be suitable for larger people (I'm 5"4 and a size 10-12).

The spa was nicely decorated inside but shabby around the edges, I imagined it to be what a house would look like if you dressed it up as a spa. The staff at the spa were polite, friendly and helpful when dealing with us but unprofessional when taking a phone call from someone who they struggled to understand - there were about 5 beauty therapists in reception at this time who all burst in to laughter completely oblivious of clients in the area when one of them took a call from "Ghandi?" and then after struggling to ascertain what the caller wanted refused to continue with it and passed it on to their colleague. My treatment - a full body massage - was professionally carried out and felt very relaxing. That evening and the following day I was in quite a bit of pain around my shoulder blades however, I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or not?; the therapist had spent some time working on this area in the treatment, presumably trying to get the knots out, and I don't know if the pain means it's worked? A bit like when you exercise a muscle and it can be painful if it's a new experience? I didn't use the spa or gym but they looked to be well equipped and tidy.

The restaurant was nicely decorated, clean and well run. Service was efficient and very professional in particular from who I assumed to be the front of house manager (man in his 20's-30's with blond hair) and younger ladies waitressing. I felt like a valued customer. The menu is reasonably varied and there are good offers available on bar food (e.g. 2 lunch courses for £10) which we were told we could also eat in the restaurant. We were also pleased to be able to mix and match our meals from the regular and specials menus. Our party all ate different dishes for lunch and dinner and enjoyed them very much, they were also nicely presented. My mum had 'happy birthday' written on her dessert plate in chocolate sauce accompanied by a candle in her tart which was a lovely touch. The prices are pretty high so check before you buy - we wished we had when we found out our bottle of prosecco cost us £28!!!! This is not unusual for a hotel though.

Our room was exceptionally warm even with all of our windows open, we couldn't find a heating control panel anywhere so our sleep was quite uncomfortably hot, there was also some noise from guests outside as our room overlooked the entrance to the hotel.

The cleaners did a great job of the room but threw out things like the half-used complimentary toiletries which obivously as we were staying another night we could have used up.

Breakfast was lovely - a buffet of Continental and English dishes, nicely laid out in a functional manner with plenty of choice especially with the fruit juices. Wilkin and Son jams and marmalades were available.

I enjoyed my tapas which consisted of breadcrumbed white fish and salmon, crudites, crusty bread, potato salad, peas and ham. There were other dishes including olives but I didn't go for those. I've never had tapas before so can't comment on it in terms of whether or not it was a good selection etc.

I used the wi-fi and it worked fine for me. Check-out was pleasant and quick.

In summary I enjoyed my stay as did the rest of my party and it was excellent value for money really but improvements could be made and if they were this place could be 4 or 5 stars. As it is I wouldn't return unless on a special offer again or if I lived in the area I would perhaps treat myself to a meal in the restauarant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Hallmark Hotel. Better than most hotels ive been too. Food is very tasty, well presented and good value for money.
Cocktails were made to my taste with many flavours. Service at in the restaurant was plesant and staff were friendly and polite.
However with all hotels there is always a catch.....during late afternoon they had a fire alarm fault, causing alarm to be set off for 40 minutes. Shortly after evening meal we found out the all of the 3rd floor had lost electricity due to fault. This was eventually sorted after 1 hour or so. The staff did apologise, and kept us updated on the situation. The stay in the room was comfortable, clean and for what we paid me and my partner definitely got our moneys worth. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Hi im staying in september for a stay,park and fly deal and really wanting some very recent reviews on this espically about breakfast e.g early breakfast book ins for early flights, evening meals comfortable rooms and taxi transfers would be greatly appreciated.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had a great, comfortable, welcoming stay at the Hallmark. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and they went out of their way to make our stay a pleasurable experience. Any queries we had were answered in a polite and friendly manner and we found the food to be of excellent standard. It was fresh and very well presented. Our room was clean and very comfortable, the spa facilities are excellent and it is within easy reach of Manchester airport. We will definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights in April. It was a treat for my daughter. We had a very nice stay, staff were nice and friendly and would always answer any questions we had.. The restaurant staff were friendly to and the food was very tasty and well presented. Spa facilities was excellent with the steam room sauna and Jacuzzi and a lovely swimming pool. Overall enjoyed our stay and would defiantly go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank alisha2001
LindaGregory, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review , It was great to read you enjoyed your stay at Hallmark Hotel Manchester and enjoyed all our facilities on offer. Your kind comments regarding the staff will be shared internally as feedback such as this is invaluable and motivational for all concerned .

Thank you again and do please come back and see us soon.

Kind Regards

Linda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Handforth
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Hallmark Inn Manchester South
Hallmark Inn Manchester South
#71 of 118 in Manchester
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport

Been to Hallmark Hotel Manchester? Share your experiences!