“spa day that lacked luxury”

Hallmark Hotel Manchester
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Handforth
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I recently purchased a spa afternoon for me and my sister. The package included one treatment , a glass of bubbly and strawberries. On the redemption voucher, the telephone number was wrong and it took me several days to get through to the spa to actually book in.
On booking in, the lasy assured me they were 'very busy' but we were able to be booked in relatively easily.
on the day of the spa, we arrived and were gretted by friendly staff at the health and spa reception area. The tables were dirty and needed wiping down. We hired dressing gowns at £5 each. this usually wouldnt have been an issue, but the gowns were old, worn, frayed and have seen better days. Really not worth the hire fee.
I was greeted by the therapist, Sunisa i think her name was who led me to my treatment room.
The massage itself was the worst massage i have ever had. She appeared very inexperienced, the massage was not relaxing, the room itself was not comfortable, neither was the pop up massage bed. I felt it was rushed and half of the massage was done using only one hand. I can only imagine that she was texting with the other hand becuas eit was terrible!
At the end of the massage, she left the room, not explaining that the treatment was over and no explanation as to wether she would be returning to escort me back downstairs or anything.
My sister who went in for her massage before me wasnt waiting for me when i cam eback down stars. I asked numerous staff as to where she was. They assured me that she had come down and was probably in the dressing room.
evenyually, after asking 4 different members of staff, one of the therapists (the one who had done her massage) went upstairs only to find her in the treatment room still. My sister who has not had a massage before was waiting for the therapist to tell her the treatment had finished and to let her know that she could come downstairs when she had finished. The therapist had left the room door open and my sister felt she was too embarrassed to get up and get dressed in case anybody walked past. needless to say, she was very embarrassed. I spoke to the therapist and asked her why she had just been left in the room and she didnt have a response.
There were no after-massage instructions like you would expect and it was rather unprofessional to say the least. On coming back to the reception area, there were 6 members of staff huddled around the desk and i was asking about the lockers. On being ignored once already, a wasp entered the reception area and i encountered a few 'girly screams and giggles' coupled with one of the girls runnign into me whilst laughing- saying she was sacred of them. Wow! I actually thought things couldnt get much worse.
me and my sister went to the spa area. We found this to be very mediocre. there was by no means any luxury, only a few bulbs out in the sauna and a swimming class for small screaming children. It really wasnt the relaxing spa day i had hoped for. I wish the staff had warned me of the swimming classes that had half of the swimming pool cordened off whilst booking.
After the swim, sauna and steam room, we relaxed in the 'relaxation lounge'. this was probably the nicest room in the whole spa area. I wish some relaxing music would hva ebeen played, but i guess just having a clean place to sit was my main opriority at the time. The changing rooms could do with being cleaned and the whole experience for me was rather diasppointing. the only real god send of the day was when we went to the hotel bar lounge to ahve our 'bubbly and strawberries'. the staff that served us were friendly, immaculate interior, clean, tidy and very comfortable.
Needless to say though, i would most definately recommend staff training in customer services and to employ staff that are perhaps more highly trained and actually want costomers to return. After all, the returning customer and recommendations to other people are how most businesses actually make their money and get better reviews.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mia8520
LindaGregory, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I do apologise that you did not enjoy your spa day with us. we do a large amount of these packages and the feedback is ordinarily excellent.
Your comments regarding the therapist do surprise me as all our staff are experienced and do a large amount of massage. I am sorry you did not enjoy this. I am aware that you spoke to the spa manager on the day regarding this.
Please be assured I shall investigate any relevant points made

Linda

Write a ReviewReviews (1,686)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

First the good part, the staff that we encountered were excellent and very helpful. The hotel was clean and comfortable, the rooms were fine, no problems there at all (no safe or minibar in the room, but you can't have everything!). The bathroom was clean with decent towels.

We were offered Tapas with our wine, however It definitely wasn't Tapas as I know it. It was mainly salads with a kind of Salmon goujons. The only part that was authentic tapas was the small plate you were given! It was edible, but definitely not tapas. The meal in the evening was plentiful and tasty. Limited menu though.

Breakfast let them down big time. It is buffet style, sausages were the worst possible, probably the 'value' variety from a very cheap supermarket. There were two double toasters, each with only one side working, so toast took forever to make. The bread was the 'value' variety too.

I had two Danish pastries, one was fine - slightly overdone, but that was ok, the other one was not cooked and I think had been taken out of the oven about 5 mins too soon. Coffee wasn't vey good either, it was hot and wet and that was about it.

The spa was grubby and needs a complete overhaul. The ladies changing room was awful, very higgledy piggledy, we were given a padlock with two keys and nothing to attach the keys to once it was locked (we don't have pockets in our swimming costumes). We were given someone's filthy hair bobble to attach the keys to so we could put it round our wrists. Yuch!! The lockers also need a good clean/ vacuum. The overall feeling of the place was dark, moist and damp.

The seating around the pool needs changing, the cushions were wet and given that the radiators were on full blast and it was a very hot day, heaven knows what was growing in there! The outside seating area was very un inviting and didn't look very well maintained.

The relaxation room had the same problems with the loungers, wet. Yuchi!!! We waited in there as we both had back massages which were lovely, as I said, the staff were all excellent. We then returned to the hotel and had a shower in the room as we didn't like the look of the showers in the spa at all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fiona M
LindaGregory, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It was nice to read you enjoyed the hotels facilities and thank you for your kind comments regarding staff.
It was disappointing to read you did not enjoy your visit to the spa and your comments are surprising .This area has had a considerable amount of money invested into it in the last 4 months and I do feel your comments are slightly unfair . All the seating on poolside and relaxation areas are new, however during busy periods will get wet, however do dry out quickly. Poolside does have to be kept at a certain temperature at all times hence why the heating is on at certain times of the day. I do not believe this are is shabby.
Please be assured all our food products are purchased from high quality suppliers and feedback is ordinary excellent regarding this offering. I am not aware of the toasters being faulty in the brasserie however will immediately investigate this.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel again after a gap of a couple of years. We were not disappointed. Lovely welcome from reception at check in and our room was lovely - Spotless. Food in the restaurant was delicious and the breakfast was excellent. There was a really nice relaxed atmosphere in the hotel and the service from the lovely friendly staff was great - nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest ,

Many thanks for writing such a wonderful review on your recent stay .

It was great to read you enjoyed all elements of your stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding , staff , service and quality of dinner and breakfast .

Your comments will be shared with all the team and we do hope you will be visiting us again at some time in the not to distant future .

Kind regards

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Disappointed with the hotel overall - certainly not four star standard and can hardly be called a spa. Both the exterior and the interior are shabby - everywhere looks like it could do with a good lick of paint and a fair amount of refurbishment. Corridors are narrow and the lift is pretty small if you have luggage with you.
We asked for a quiet room but ended up directly above the function room where a wedding party was taking place. The music went on till nearly one o'clock and I could cheerfully have strangled the DJ by that time. As it was a warm night it would have been nice to have the window open but the loud music made this an impossibility. There is no air conditioning in the rooms and the windows themselves are single glazed, dirty and ancient.
I believe other guests were complaining about the noise when we left in the morning. As the receptionist did not ask how our stay was I did not mention it. We were on a leisure trip and the lack of sleep was not greatly important but had we needed to get up early for a flight for example I would not have been happy.
I know hotels do not care about the noise from parties as these are the cash cows which bring in the money. My one room booking is less important I realise but it is a shame it has to be that way. As it is I won't be staying at the hotel again - just a personal choice and if you are having a party there I'm sure it's ideal.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Hallmark Hotel, we stayed at Hallmark with the Fly & Drive deal good value for room and parking £105.00 for five nights parking drop off and pick up. The drinks in the hotel expensive and empty glasses left on the bar area, clean and spacious gym. Other than this little issues overall value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Had lunch here today with seven girl friends. It was our annual college reunion! We have been meeting here for several years now as it is convenient for all of us being close to motorways.
The lunch menu was 2 courses for £10. There was plenty of choice with at least six starters and six main courses including a roast of the day. The food was beautifully cooked and presented and we all enjoyed our meals. Only one of our party had room for dessert but when it arrived we are wished we had joined her! That was an extra £3.
We finished with excellent coffee. We thought the house wine was good and reasonably priced.
I must mention the service which was great. Our waitress Chloe was delightful and nothing was too much trouble.
We will be back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here a few nights ago and wow what a surprise. The bedroom was amazing, massive bed, separate room with TV and great bathroom.

We also tried the spa and it was great :)

Would certainly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MMB1007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Handforth
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester (Handforth) Hotel
Alderley Edge Hotel
Alderley Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Alderley Edge
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport

Been to Hallmark Hotel Manchester? Share your experiences!