“Excellent food, great service”
Review of Verdin Arms - CLOSED

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 December 2012

We went to the Verdin Arms to celebrate my Mothers 50th birthday and were told that the new owner had only been there a week or two. What can I say, the food and service were excellent staff were very pleasant and friendly the food was all freshly prepared and cooked to perfection. Will definitely visit again very soon it seems to be a huge improvement on the last owners as we visited a few months ago and were very disappointed. Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Tink22bell

Reviewed 10 November 2012

Visited earlier this year and food was excellent but now very poor and not recommnded. Small portion of fish, chips average and the smallest portion of peas I have ever been served. Also NOT "garden pea puree" as stated on the menu. Also, at 13.15 on a Saturday aftrnoon completely empty.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

stayed hear a few times as got family in the area ive only written a review as when showing friends i went on tripadvisor and seen bad comment recently mind you there is new couple managers i found rooms clean breakfast great overall fab place and if anything more enjoyable stay

Reviewed 20 June 2012

We went here for a meal last week. New owners had taken over and it was a little confusing regarding what they had to serve - but the meal was lovely, the staff welcoming and friendly. We will certainly go again.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

We have just returned home from the Verdin Arms having had the worst possible meal. It was supposed to be a birthday celebration meal. The place itself is well decorated and clean.However the food is the worst I've ever had the pleasure of tasting in my life. Perhaps we should have realised something wouldn't be quite right when there was nobody else in the pub.

Having been given menu's we were informed that there were no fish dishes or anything with prawns in as they'd sold out, fair enough if they've sold out then that's understandable. I wonder how long ago they were sold out, because I very much doubt it was today.

Our order was 1x 16oz Sirlion Steak 1xLamb Shank & 1xChild's Chicken Goujon's

The meal was quick to arrive and this is where the fun begins. The meat was so fatty and old that all the juice had gone. I asked for it to be cooked rare as I prefer juicy meat than overcooked meat but the quality was shocking. The chips were inedible I'm not sure how old they were or how many times they'd been put back in the fryer but I've never had anything like it they were solid. "Jenga Chips" is a gimic for stacking chips on top of one another. "Pont Neuf" is the correct terminology for that practise. There were no mushrooms on my plate which were advertised as coming with the meal. When I asked where the mushrooms were I was informed they'd run out. To which I replied when didn't somebody just go to the local Tesco and buy some more?
My wife's meal was the lamb shank, if I'm not mistaken this was from Aldi boil in the bag. I know because my wife works for Aldi and we've had them at home. I certainly don't expect to be paying £11:95 for one. My daughters chicken was good, apart from her "Jenga Chips" which were just as bad as mine. I even knocked them on the plate when the waitress came over to show my point of how hard they were. My daughter is 2 and she couldn't get her teeth through them.

Thankfully I was given a full refund for all of the items I ordered and my drinks. I have been very lucky to have traveled the world extensively through work and I have to say I have never ever had a meal that was as poor as the one served up at the Verdin Arms.

Please DO NOT go to this pub and eat, you will be disappointed and please don't sit there in silence if your food is bad, open your mouth and complain....it might be the only way the message will ever get through.

A birthday meal ruined.....We shall never return here and I urge any readers to think before going here.

O