“50th Birthday Party”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“50th Birthday Party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

Thank you Sue and all the Staff at The Crown for making my 50th Birthday Party on 20th April such a success. The room was beautiful and at the suggestion of Sue I decide on a very simple menu, served at the white linen dressed tables. I had 90 guests in total attending the party and I can honestly say I heard no negative comments whatsoever. The party food was absolutely delicious (many guests commented on this at the time) and the attention to detail on the night was brilliant. I was not aware that the serving of the food had been delayed due to three missing guests (Sue did not wish to worry me). The waitresses were unobtrusive and they just got on with their jobs brilliantly. Hurray - the drinks were reasonably priced and I was delighted that my guests were not being ripped off as is the case in many wedding venues. Yes - the hotel is old; old in history that is. None of the walls/floors etc. are level but that surely means character rather than bland, generic rooms! The hotel has been in the heart of Nantwich for centuries and for people wincing about the noise levels - we too heard those but realised that this is beyond the hotel's control! The hotel is situated on a pedestrianised street in the centre of Nantwich! Our bedroom was lovely all things considered and I understand that most rooms have been re-vamped or are in the process of being re-vamped. The only negative I can think of in this regard is that the bath towels are way too small - large, fluffy bath sheets are needed!!!!!!!!!! The breakfast was absolutely yum the following morning; individually cooked, on demand and hot too! All in all I had a fantastic birthday weekend with lots of happy memories. Thank you again for your kindness and attention to detail; it really was appreciated

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

From the front i so thought i had this right. I wish I had read previous reviews before staying here. Feel more annoyed with myself than them.

Room very poor and desperately needs updating. Noise not only from the main road outside but also from the room next door.

Staffs attitude was also very poor, I wasn't even certain the gentlemen I spoke to in the morning was a manager or the owner, but I voiced my opinion regarding the loose curtain rail in my room and he said its an old building. I have up at that point and paid. Didn't even attempt the restaurant. I won't be going back.

• Stayed March 2013
7 Thank 01606889455

Travellers are raving about these Nantwich hotels

Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel as I was attending a training course at a local College with a number of work colleagues. Arriving at the Hotel was simple and there is a car park at the back of the Hotel which is free if you are staying there. The person who checked me in was very nice and friendly and I was quickly allocated a room. The Hotel has a lot of charm and the inside contours need to be seen to be believed. On finding my room at the front of the Hotel my immediate thoughts were that it was a very good size room but looked a little dated. There was tea and coffee making facilities and the linens were all clean. One of the windows didn't close properly in the room so it soon became quite chilly in there, the controls had been removed from the radiator and the heating went off through the night. Because the window didn't close properly every sound outside could clearly be heard, and there was a pub on the opposite corner with very loud music until around Midnight. When the music finally stopped I tried to settle but was woken again at 1am, then 3 am because of people fighting outside the hotel. I was woken several more time before I finally got up in the morning. The headboard on the bed banged against the wall every time I moved in the bed. The bath was great (except the view of the soil pipe) but the shower was not so good, the mixer taps ranged from scalding hot to freezing cold and it was impossible to control. The pictures on the wall were cracked and the TV was not receiving any BBC channels in the morning. The Hotel was booked for me but I certainly would not choose to stay there again. The food and service in the restaurant was good as was the breakfast. The staff were all very nice, friendly and I cannot fault them at all.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs!
1 Thank tinamorgan991
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stayed here on business on a Tuesday night. Ever seen faulty towers??

Ok so the room (room 11): no water pressure so hot tap in sink and bath barely a trickle. That's the shower too. I opened the trouser press and it fell off the wall. Light bulbs missing. The single pane glass windows to the front street have large gaps in (big enough to slide my phone through), the lock on the door needed all my strength to turn it. The walls are paper thin so I heard every word of my neighbours TV.

The location: directly opposite The Union (pub/bar) which played music until 1am - very loud (and I like loud music). Then when it closed everyone gathered in the street outside my room until 3am, until the police came to break up a fight.

The building: very old and very crooked, which is charming and there's nothing they can do about it, but it meant my bed was up hill with the headboard about 3 inches below my feet when lying down. Not nice.

Food: was ok. Restaurant was nice, breakfast was average. A colleague fell through his chair when it collapsed on him, which was funny for us, not for him. Not good quality furniture!

My collegues has similar experiences. No shower hooks, holes in doors, shelves falling off walls.

DO NOT STAY HERE. EVER.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
8 Thank samuelburton
bristol
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed in room 14 and the front of the hotel over 2 nights in April 2013 (a monday and Tuesday). Where to start.... The room is very tired, curtain hanging off the rail, bits of chipboard screwed to the floor to hold bedside cabinets in place, loads of leaflets stuffed around the frame of the sash window, (presumably to hold it in place) however by far the worst problem is THE NOISE. You may as well pitch a tent on the high street for all the peace you'll get. You can hear conversations on the street outside clearly from within which gets wearing at 130 am when the pubs chuck out. Additionally, if nearby music venue The Union is open (tuesdays) you'll hear every lyric, beat and DJ intro. If you need to actually sleep in your hotel room - GO ELSEWHERE.
oh, final tip, make sure your egg is actually cooked before you eat to much of it.

Room Tip: If you want a good hotel room - go somewhere else.
6 Thank clairel373
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

We visited Casa Brasserie yesterday for our evening meal,it was frankly one of the poorest meals we have ever had! The starter arrived and we have ordered bruschetta in many restaurants before and it's always been very tastey,this however was poor! The bread was fine but the large amount of balsamic vinegar ruined the small amount of onion and hard tomato,I then had spag bol and asked for a roll which took 8 minutes to bake ,the spag Bol was awful with a very unpleasant flavour which again I have had many times before elsewhere successfully.My husband had a pizza that was burnt on the outside and uncooked in the middle! When asked by the waitress if our meal was ok I said "it's ok but that's all we can say" and then asked for the bill,she walked to the head waiter and spoke to him ,he then came over took our money and rushed off as quickly as possible!!very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Elizabeth R
haverfordwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

The hotel is a lovely ancient black and white building and when we booked we imagined we would be in one of ythe lovely old beamed bedrooms they show on the website we were disapointed to be in a more modern room with no view and it was quite small for a twin. The worst thing was the odd smell when we entered the roo it smelled of drains and affected my friend more than me
We ate in their Italian restaurant which was excellent. Unfortunately we chose a saturday to stay and ther is a night cklub nest door which seems to noisily tip out at 3 am my friend woke and complained about it the next morning as there were fights and police etc luckily I had enjoyed my meal and wine so much that I slept through it. The staff were lovely tough and overall I would reccommend it but not sure my friend would!!

Room Tip: if you would like the olde worlde room make sure you are at the front of the building
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
The Cheshire Cat
#2 of 9 in Crewe
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,079 reviews
BEST WESTERN Crewe Arms Hotel
Premier Inn Crewe West Hotel

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!