“Food (or lack of!)”

Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Rookery Hall itself is a wonderful place to stay, we were in an executive room which was decorated to a very high standard. The staff were welcoming and were of a very high calibre, they couldn't seem to do enough for you and were extremely attentive although during our meal this became irritating!
The food was of a high standard in the restaurant but unfortunately it came in tiny portions, on our first night we ordered food my jaw hit the floor as the starter was literally 'just a mouthful'. The main course arrived and I was again dumbstruck as the food arrived on a generic sized dinner plate and consisted of literally five mouthfuls! It was a tiny oasis of food,lost amongst a desert of white pottery and I was disgusted that the hotel deemed these portions acceptable.
We decided to forgo the restaurant the following night and order from the room service menu,a much better choice as it arrived in less time than the restaurant food seemed to and was much less of a 'nouvelle cuisine' experience!
Its a lovely hotel but, unless you are anorexic and don't mind paying ridiculous prices for the food, avoid the restaurant! The over attentiveness of the staff became tiresome as we seemed to be pressured at every opportunity to buy drinks and shot glasses of sorbet at every breath, it became embarrassing to keep refusing.

Room Tip: Avoid restaurant menu and choose evening bar meals instead.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean J
StephenFearnley, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Hello

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm glad on the whole you enjoyed the hotel, I take your feedback on board with regard to the staff, it seems we have been to eager to please on this occassion.

Our restaurant offers a fine dining experience and the food portion size relects this. I'm glad you enjoyed our in room dining experience at the hotel.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed at Rookery Hall one night in late March 2012, to break a long journey North, and to enjoy a relaxing break; we got a good deal with Secret Escapes, and were delighted with the whole Rookery Hall experience.
Our first impressions were all good; the quiet country location, the beautiful grounds, the charming old building which houses the hotel reception and restaurant, as well as the smart new extension in which our excellent room was located. We enjoyed our visit to the spa, which was obviously newly built and very well appointed.
All the staff were polite, friendly and helpful, from reception to spa and restaurant.
Dinner was a particular delight, beginning with our complementary glass of champagne served in the beautifully furnished lounge where we later enjoyed coffee after dinner. The wood-panelled dining room was also very impressive, as was the meal itself. This was a high end dining experience to be savoured,and we both loved every dish! The wine list is extensive and, as one should expect, some wines were rather expensive.
Next morning we enjoyed wonderful breakfasts; we would recommend the Full English and the Eggs Benedict. Rookery Hall is only a few miles from the market town of Nantwich, a pleasant place to explore.
We loved our visit, and would recommend Rookery Hall for a short break in a lovely setting.

Hello

I was delighted to read your review, thank you for taking the time to complete this.

It was nice to read your about your experience at the hotel, we are very proud of the hotel and the team here but reading your review always makes it worth while.

Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Had a lovely two night stay at Rookery Hall with my daughter. Hotel very impressive building. Our room was in the newer block overlooking the gardens. We had an executive double which had been made into a twin as requested. Nice seating area and modern decor. Bathroom larger than normal hotel bathrooms and had a separate shower and bath. The TV in the bathroom was great! Most of the staff were friendly and very helpful. Special thanks to the spa manager Mark who resolved an issue we had in the spa in a very professional manner. The food in the restaurant was outstanding. We had our breakfast in our room one morning and it was delivered on time and was piping hot. I would definitely recommend Rookery Hall. The Hotel manager should be very proud of the hotel and the service they provide.

• Stayed: April 2012

Hello

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I'm so glad you enjoyed the facilities. I'm sorry you had an issue in the spa however I'm pleased that Mark was able to resolve this for you.

We are very proud of the team at Rookery they are indeed very special.

We hope to see you soon

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Great deal was had here as this was a last minute 'all in' stay. The welcome by reception was excellent and our cases were taken to our room. The room was very nice indeed and as the title suggests a TV in the bathroom. The grounds etc were very well maintained and the outlook is lovely. The spa and pool are very spacious and exceptionally clean and well cared for. Staff were very helpful and courtious in coridors etc.

Although the room was generally clean we did notice that table legs were very dusty and so too was the large mirror in reception (sunshine shows all!)

Restaurant staff were on the whole very good, the evening started off very well but as our meal got underway we did find that drinks were slow coming. This was a little dissapointing but didn't spoil our evening. This was true of breakfast also but when breakfast arrived it was very nice indeed and hot and fresh.
This was excellent value (deal offer) and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: We were placed at the rear
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Hello,

Thank you so much for a really super review, just lovely!

Really happy the reception team looked after you so well and all our wonderful facilities were well received.

The mirror in reception has a framed notice next to it stating it dates back to 1816 and has a dated appearance; sorry you missed this explanation of its presentation.

Sorry there was a short delay in drinks service during the meal but glad it did not spoil your overall experience,

We hope to see you soon

Stephen

PS glad you loved the TV in the bath!! it is such fun

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Recently stayed here with my sister for an overnight spa break.
The staff on reception were lovely & check in excellent as we had arrived early, but our room was ready so we were shown to it straight away which was a bonus.

After unpacking, we had a look at the menus & seeing how much things were & what you got, decided to have a drive into Nantwich (fab little place with lots of places for coffee & to eat) & had lunch there at The Cheshire Cat - FAB!. We returned to the Hotel, got our pool things & had a lovely afternoon followed by the best massage I've ever had.
Most of the staff in the spa were lovely just a couple that must have got a double shift!!!

The room: with the curtains closed & lights on, it became apparent that the wall facing the window had had some damage on in (possibly pen or crayon) but this has just had the damage painted over rather than the whole wall being repainted which seems like the strangest thing to have done, especially in a hotel supposedly of this calibre. The rest of the room was pleasantly decorated & comfortable but nothing special or out of the ordinary.

The bathroom: spacious but strange, the toilet was directly next to the window which came down to about 18 inches from the floor & given that you could see what was going on outside, i'm certain you would be seen on the toilet - maybe a blind that went from bottom to top would be a good idea!!! There was no shelf at all in the bathroom apart from the window sill which had the toilertries on it but not much use for wash things or make up & wash bags etc had to go on the floor - & not the cleanest!!
The reastaurant prices are expensive & the drinks equally so ( & it seemed very quiet) so we made the decison to get a taxi back into Nantwich for the evening (-£10 each way - 3 miles!!!!!) & had a lovely Italian meal & a few drinks in the town which was lively but a good atmosphere.

Were were woken VERY early with many delivery vehicles coming & going & unloading, but think this probably affects most of the rooms in the hotel & we did stay a Thurdsay night so was probably busy due to stocking up for the weekend but for my sister who has young children, a lie in was most definately on the cards but sadly, impossible.

Breakfast: There was a quite a good cold buffet selection but was soon cleared away especially given how many of us were still in the dining room. We both had the cooked breakfast which was just ok. There was no milk on our table for tea/coffee & none brought so had to 'pinch' from the next table & when I asked for more fresh orange, I felt like I was being greedy. All only small things but not expected from a hotel such as this.

The award certificates up in the doorway end I think at 2005 which to me summs the entire place up - maybe relying on it's past reputation or maybe because were on a 'spa break' we didn't get a good room or breakfast restaurant service which to me is the wrong way to do it. If the hotel isn't full, why not give customers the best rooms & service available to show guests the best it has to offer?

We used the spa again the following day - it's truly wonderful & relaxing (we could have joined the aqua areoblcs class if we'd had the energy but just chilled out).

All in all, the positives are, the majority of the staff who do really seem to be genuinely pleasant & helpful & some of the nicest we've encountered and the spa is great, but I feel the issues with the guests staying overnight on spa breaks need to be looked at (or maybe we were just unlucky) as I certainly won't be hurrying back to stay again, I would stay in Nantwich & do a 'spa day'.
Have stayed in much nicer/cleaner for much less (try the Netherwood Hotel in Grange for comparison).

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jinny1

Hello,

Thanks for the review, we are so sorry you wont be rushing back and so surprised at the same time.

We were delighted you enjoyed our ability to offer an early check into enable you to have a lovely afternoon in the Health Club and really pleased you enjoyed the best treatment ever!!

Sorry you found a repair to damage sustained to the wall poorly completed and the set up of the bathroom inappropriate both are being reviewed as we speak.

Being disturbed by deliveries is not good enough; I am so sorry, rest assured our companies will be contacted on the back of your feedback.

Breakfast is a high point of stays at Rookery, something we get the most positive feedback from really sorry the buffet was cleared at the end of the service before you had a second chance to visit it.

We are very proud of the many current awards that we have received in 2008/9/10 and 11, the ones in the old reception area are indeed from a few years ago, and the current ones sit on the walls next to the restaurant. As for the room allocations we do offer four styles of accommodation all of which command a certain tariff and all of which we think offer good value for money.

Glad you found the Spa wonderful on day two and the offer of complimentary classes also.

The team are very special indeed and I am glad you came across this during your stay and agree with me that they are of the very best calibre.

Best wishes

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I'm afraid to start off with a negative.....we only managed to stay 1 night...due to the Hotel being booked on the dates we requested! Boooo.... It certainly would have been fantastic to stay for the 2 nights and maybe more....such a shame for us!
Check in was superb and flawless, we were made to feel like part of the family as soon as we set foot into the marvellous reception area...very efficient and unobtrusive.
Brian took us to our Executive suite and explained all that was on offer, from the Spa facilities and where to sit and watch the Cheshire countryside... on the terrace.
This we did and enjoyed the glorious weather over a lovely bottle of wine..for the entire afternoon.
The room itself is exactly what it says.."Executive"....Bathroom has high class fittings, flat screen TV (in the Bathroom) aswell as bedroom, DVD and internet facility available. Spotlessly clean with all the amenities you would require, safe, cool water fridge, and tea / coffee facilites. The room itself was very tastefully decorated...loved the recessed wall features and LED lighting...gave a classy, yet unassuming feel to the whole suite. Lovely comfy armchairs too....not forgetting the large welcoming bed!

The afternoon was sublime, sat in the sun relaxing and chatting with the ever "efficient "waitress -Nicole, who was really down to earth and friendly......if she got into trouble ..it's our fault for keeping her talking.!!...both my wife and I commented how friendly and naturally polite all of the staff were. They are all, very professional and really such a credit.

Dinner was to die for.......greeted at the entrance to the lounge and enjoyed the glass of complimentary "bubbly"...service, again..impeccable...hardly notice the waitress topping-up the glasses. The food was lovely and excellent value, hats off to the chef, no complaints and beautifully served.
The wine list is vast and extensive......will take a good afternoon to browse through...excellent range of quality red & white, through to rose and Champagnes...incredible!
Breakfast was astounding...I just love Eggs Benedict...full English for my wife, who loved the Poached eggs too!!
Overall the prices are not dramatically more than one would expect to pay...remember too you are in Cheshire.......and there are far many more Millionaires per square mile than anywhere else in the UK! I am of the belief, you only get what you pay for...but in this case.......you tend to get just that little bit more! Marvellous value.

Hand-Picked hotels have mastered the combination of luxury and first class service, without the snobbery......Would we stay again...you betcha!!!....you are guaranteed a warm and friendly welcome to Rookery Hall....thankyou to Mr F and his professional and most courteous team.

The Zoggies (409)

Room Tip: Executive Suites are very modern and classy...if you want older contemporary, request room in old pa...

Hello,

Thank you for such a wonderful and constructive review, we are thrilled to receive it!!

Sorry we were busy and you couldn’t stay the extra night (ring us early next time and we can arrange your stay for you)

We are glad check in was good and Brian explained all about the hotel and what we offer. Sitting on the lovely terrace overlooking the acres of beautiful countryside is my idea too of heaven.

Glad you enjoyed our executive rooms, I do agree they are very special especially the TV in the bath!!!

We do have a simply amazing team and they are cherished indeed!!

Dinner and breakfast sound to have gone down well, I will pass on your compliments to Chef and his team and Earle in the restaurant.

Marvellous value is what we want to here and you are so right in terms of getting what you pay for,

We really do look forward to seeing you soon

Very Best wishes

MR F!!

Reviewed 2 April 2012

My wife and I spend Thursday & Friday (29 – 30 March 2012) at Rookery Hall to celebrate her 50th birthday (she doesn’t look it) and we loved every minute of our stay.

We arrived at reception and the two people there were all smiles and made us feel welcome straight away and it wasn’t a false corporate nice, I felt they were pleased to see us. Our room wasn’t ready (we did arrive early), we were asked if we would like to wait in the spa area and we could leave our luggage in the reception area. Within in 30 minutes some one came to tell us our room was ready and our luggage had been taken up.

The room – We stayed in the old building in the March room and it was stunning, a nice big bed and all the facilities you would except from I hotel of this type. I asked for a room with a garden view and glad I did. We could see over into the countryside and the sound of the fountain is very therapeutic. It also allowed us to watch a wedding party having their wedding photos done…..the bride looked beautiful.

Restaurant – We had booked to eat at the restaurant on the first night and I was concerned after reading some of the negative comments on here, but I need not have worried. We were greeted at the bottom of the stairs then escorted to our table and the service was prompt, but not rushed. The standard of food was excellent and I enjoyed each course, the price if you take into account the quality of food and service, it wasn’t over expensive and not bank breaking.

After dinner we had a nightcap in the bar area, having a glass of wine and a pint of Guinness which come to about £10, this is expensive, but only about £2 more than you would spend in a city centre pub/bar.

Breakfast – Same as dinner met at the bottom of the stairs and escorted to our table. We had a selection via a buffet, which includes pastries, cheeses, cold meats, cereal, fruit plus much more. The hot selection is ordered via a waiter service and includes all the usual suspects; I had the full English on both days which was both substantial and tasty. My only gripe was the second day the serving were smaller and we had to remind someone we were still waiting for our tea and coffee, but we were in no rush so no harm done.

Rookery Hall is a wonderful hotel and everyone working there were great, from the people in reception, who were helpful when booking in and checking out, the restaurant people who were pleasant at all times and even the cleaner who showed us how to get to the garden by actually walking us round instead of just pointing us in the right direction.

Well done everyone at Rookery Hall and thank you for making my wife’s 50th birthday a special one.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Hello and Thank You!

We are delighted to receive such a dynamic and constructive review.

All celebrations are special but a big one like a 50th is extra.

So we are thrilled that your stay was everything you hoped it would be.

A great reception is important and sets the tone for the whole stay so we are delighted you were very well received. The March room is very special indeed as it’s the room David and Victoria Beckham got engaged in!!!

I am personally glad you dispelled some less than positive feedback on our fine dining restaurant and that you found the food and service exceptional as the vast majority do.

Breakfast is also a VERY important meal at rookery so again we are happy we delivered a very high standard again.

A great hotel is only great when it has a great team.... we have a superb team who really care and go the extra mile for every guest every time.

We really hope to see you for all your families’ birthdays again soon

Stephen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
Mottram Hall
Mottram Hall
#1 of 1 in Mottram St. Andrew
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!