“A great hotel all round”

Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A great hotel all round”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed here for one night, a family of four with two small children. Our deluxe room was a good size with a large bed for one child and a cot for the little one, and still lots of room to move around. The facilities in the room were great and the whole place had a great cared for and clean feel. The staff were helpful with our small mountain of luggage and we soon settled in.

The spa pool was great, a good size and reasonable temperature. It was quite busy but the pool was large enough that we never felt crowded. I note that there were allegedly family and non family times but never wanted to go at a non family time so have no idea if this would be a problem. If you have older kids, or are older, there are also a steam room, sauna and jet pool/jacuzzi.

Dinner was lovely. The venison I had was melt in the mouth, my wifes fillet was also superb. The wine list is not cheap, but the drinks we had were great and complemented the meal. The staff were great with our kids who also ate well.

NOTE: - If like us you are on a dinner inclusive package there is contradictory information on the menu. Sometimes it mentions the dinner credit for an inclusive guest of £31, sometimes it lists dishes with a supplementary charge. This all seems complex, what if you have 2 of 3 courses, etc.? We found out and were billed that it is a simple £31 credit, so you do not lose out if you have two expensive courses rather than three cheaper ones. Note also that the standard inclusive price only covers about half the dinner options, the remainder MAY cost you extra if you go for the full three courses. Bear this in mind if you are on a cheaper option and beleive that all is sorted before dinner.

Breakfast was another great meal, freshly cooked, tasty and with a great selection.

Should we be in the area we would return.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay here at Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Gwyn Jones.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

An amazing Christmas party night in December 2012.
Fab food and a good choice for a festive menu and all hot.
Hotel is in a Great location and grounds.
Lovely veggie breakfast.
Looking forward to visiting very soon.

• Stayed December 2012
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
I would like to thank you for taking time to post your comments of your experience at the hotel on the website. It is so rewarding to receive such wonderful feedback. Something that we try our utmost to achieve, is that each guest has a memorable stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Merseyside
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I booked this hotel for an overnight stay as a Christmas treat for my husband who had stayed at the hotel on a corporate event earlier in the year and who was keen to return.
My first impression was very good.We were initially allocated an "accessible" room but at our request we were quickly moved to a normal Executive room in the modern wing of the hotel. The room was very nice with a huge comfortable bed and a modern bathroom.
The problems began when we went to dinner which we had pre -booked for 8pm. We were not shown to our table until 8.50 and then had to wait another 20 minutes before a "complimentary" watery mushroom liquid arrived in what looked like an eggcup. We then waited another another 15 minutes for our starter to be delivered. By this time we were extremely hungry and so were very disappointed when my husbands soufflé arrived burnt and flat and part of my starter was also burnt. We asked for the Duty Manager who agreed that the food and service was not up to their usual standard. We refused another starter and agreed to eat our main course in the restaurant but have dessert in our rooms. My husband also asked for another drink to be brought to the table which did not arrive until I went to the bar myself 20 minutes later!!
After this awful experience we decided to forgo a visit to the dining room the next morning for breakfast and ordered room service for 9.30am.
I expected after the fiasco the night before that breakfast would be faultless. However, breakfast arrived 50 minutes late at 10.20am and was at best luke warm! This despite a call from the duty manager at 9.55 to say breakfast would be with us in 5 minutes. This late delivery meant that the maids were trying to access our room for cleaning just as we finished eating.
At the duty managers request we asked to see him when we checked out and to be fair he agreed that the food and service the previous night had been appalling and kindly refunded all the cost of food and drink from the bill. He admitted that several other couples had complained the previous evening and it was the worst food/service he had encountered whilst employed at the hotel. He also offered us a complimentary bed breakfast and evening meal stay which I refused after the awful experience we had. However the last thing he did was give us his card and said was that he would email a voucher anyway as he was keen for us to experience the hotels usual high standards.
Needless to say the voucher was not received which is a shame because my husband had managed to persuade me to return at some point as having stayed there before he felt I had not experienced the hotel at its best.
I did email the manager outlining all of the above before leaving this review and his reply indicated that it was left to us to contact them if we wished to accept a complimentary visit.!!
To summarise, this hotel did not deliver a 4 star service or provide reasonable food quality either at the evening meal or breakfast. Nor did they follow up on the complimentary stay they offered to send.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mini0610
As previously stated in correspondence I am sorry that you encountered problems whilst staying with us at the hotel; however I was grateful for your detailed and constructive feedback.

I was concerned to hear your comments relating to the restaurant service and room service the following morning. Your feedback has been addressed with the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager, both of whom have asked me to offer their personal apologies for the poor level of service and quality of your evening meal and breakfast. Our Restaurant is a 2 Rosette Restaurant and undergoes regular inspections to keep this status. I am sorry that your experience did not reflect the quality and standard associated with this accolade. Please be assured that your experience is certainly not representative quality we normally provide.

We take all issues raised by our guests very seriously and I do hope that you will consider staying at Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa again in the future in which case please contact me directly. Where you have my assurance that you will receive high standards which people come to enjoy and expect from our hotels.

Once again thank you very much for the time you spent with our Duty Manager. Assuring you of my best attention at all times,

Yours sincerely,

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I stayed here with my Husband for two nights, 24th to 26th December. This is the first time we have spent Christmas away from home and the family and found that the hotel had thought of every comfort to add to the Christmas ambience which made the whole experience very personal considering the hotel was busy. The food provided, afternoon tea, breakfasts, Christmas lunch and evening buffet,was excellent and the service by Earle and the rest of his team was second to none! Nothing was too much trouble.

We stayed in a executive deluxe room in the newer wing of the hotel and both of us were left a Gilchrist & Soames gift set with the turn down service. A very nice, unexpected touch!

Everybody was accommodating from check in to check out. We had a truly relaxing two day break and will definitely be returning.

A big thanks to all the staff, especially Earle and his team!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your comments following a stay here at Rookery Hall. It is always a real pleasure to read such feedback about staff being friendly and attentive. I will certainly convey your kind words to all the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

Me and my family stayed In This hotel for two nights for my sister in laws wedding. It was perfect, the rooms very clean stylish and comfortable, excellent service, friendly staff and the food was out of this world. The wedding reception was perfect for a dream winter wedding and the staff couldn't do enough for us. Highly recommend this hotel; for a wedding or even just a weekend getaway it's perfect.

• Stayed December 2012
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Thank you for your review and for all the fantastic comments with regards to the food and the staff. Your review means even more to us due to the fact that you would highly recommend the hotel to others.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa.

adamdavi3s
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We stayed here as a part of our Christmas celebrations with the company I work for.
Overall our stay was excellent, the hotel and spa are amazing and the rooms are really top quality indeed!
The food & wine was also absolutely amazing.

The only think that let it down was the service in the bar & at breakfast. The hotel was busy with a wedding but I found the bar staff to be a little rude and also extremely slow.
The service at breakfast was beyond a joke, we were seated then after 15 minutes I went to find someone for some coffee and toast, then we weren't offered juice and my breakfast came out missing items. However in fairness I think we might have been an exception on the former point as other people were seated and offered juice / toast / coffee immediately.

We later joined some of the rest of the group for coffee and that also took about 20 minutes to arrive!

Overall I really would recommend this place, just try and find out if they have a wedding booked on the same day or not!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank adamdavi3s
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 December 2012
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to report your experience at Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa. We value our guests opinions and this enables us to address any issues which you raise from your visit to the hotel.

I am delighted that you were pleased with a number of aspects during your stay however have passed on your comments to the Restaurant Manager regarding service in the bar and at breakfast. We take all our guest comments very seriously and I have addressed these with our kitchen and food and beverage team. We have reviewed our service to ensure an improvement and high standard in the future.

Thank you again for your valued comments.

Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2012 via mobile

Just spent one night in this hotel as part of a business trip / Xmas meal. The business facilities were excellent but didn't have time for the spa. Had a Xmas meal here with a disco. Food was excellent all day and by far the best Xmas meal as part of a party booking. Disco was good with a cheery DJ who looked like he had spun many a disc. Room was excellent with a very comfortable bed and tv in bathroom. I stayed in the disabled room (not by choice) and could not for the life of me find anywhere to blow dry my hair with a mirror in front. It looked like the big TV had taken over from the dressing table mirror. This was my only minor niggle. Breakfast was superb with excellent service. I would love to return to this hotel but with more leisure time to explore.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us, and we do hope to see you many more times in the future. I very much appreciate your comments in relation to the staff and service. Once again many thanks for your much valued feedback and I look forward to seeing you in the hotel in the near future.

Gwyn Jones.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,052 reviews
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!