“Wonderful Hotel & Impressive Service”

Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Wonderful Hotel & Impressive Service”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed for two nights for my daughter's wedding celebration. I can't fault the wedding reception arrangements. The co-ordinator provided a service way beyond the call of duty!
The room we were allocated was in the 'new' wing and was slightly tired. The bed was beautiful and comfy, the room was spacious and the bathroom great. However little details like the kettle only working on the main switch, the reading lights not working properly were a very small irritant.
The room 211 was adjacent to the reception rooms so if you are not involved in the celebrations may be a little noisy. Drink prices are expensive but I expected that having been previously warned.The breakfast was outstanding, the choice was extensive.
The setting is beautiful, the spa is outstanding so overall an impressive Hotel and a memorable stay.

Room Tip: For a quiet night ask for a room away from the function suites,
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hello John W and thank you for your review following your daughter’s wedding celebrations and Congratulations.

Weddings are a very special, memorable day in anyone’s lives so I was really happy to read that the arrangements all went to plan and that your coordinator on the day went beyond the call the duty.

I am sorry that you felt your room was slightly tired and I am sorry for the little details you mention that were not working. As you have kindly informed me in your review of your room allocation I can get our maintenance team to go and have a look at these.
You are right regarding the location of room 211 being next to our Nantwich Suite which is where our functions take place. We do always endeavour to allocate bedrooms accordingly and do take into consideration the reason for a guest stay so that we avoid any noise disturbance for those not attending a function..

I am sorry that you found our drink prices to be expensive.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the setting and the spa. I was pleased to note that you had a memorable stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Stephen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Went to rookery for overnight stay with evening meal and breakfast. Our welcome was polite and informative,shown to our room(double executive) tasteful and modern with nice bathroom,some furniture surfaces were a little dusty and the bed, huge as it was,was on closer inspection what appeared to be two singles pushed together with a mattress topper over it,still a decent nights sleep.
Spa had no availability during our stay however that was bad planning on our part,wet facilities are nice and well maintained. Evening meal set menu was in my opinion limited but the quality and standard were good,we were offered water to accompany our meal which is fine but there was no mention of £5:10 charge! Which it cost on bill,think staff should portray this is chargeable when offering with meal to be fair to the customer.
Opted to have breakfast in our room in the morning,unfortunately it was cold,cups and cutlery were mucky and the tea strainer had a frothy mess in it?! Also order was wrong as we had omitted certain items which still came.
Receptionist was very understanding regarding this and profusely apologised,all staff here are very polite,friendly and welcoming.
It is nice here but I expected a wow factor with it being a hand picked hotel.

2 Thank hayley b
Dear hayley b,

Thank you for your review following you recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you received a polite and informative welcome on arrival to the hotel and that the team member showed you to your room.

Please accept my apologies that your room was a little dusty I will be sure to feedback this information to our Head Housekeeper. Our bedrooms in our new executive wing of the hotel have the zip and link beds which we then place a quality mattress topper over. This is because we get many guests requesting twin rooms so it gives us the flexibility to accommodate all of our guests needs. I am pleased to read that you still had a good nights sleep.

Our Health Club & Spa is very popular and does get booked for treatments many weeks in advance, I am sorry that on this occasion you did not get the opportunity to enjoy a treatment.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your evening meal. I note from your opening sentence to your review that you were staying with us on a dinner, bed and breakfast package. This includes our set market menu which consists of a choice of four starters, mains and desserts I am sorry that you found this to be limited. Alongside this menu we also offer our A la carte menu which you are welcome to upgrade to if there if something that appeals more to you from that menu. I am sorry if this was not offered to you. You are absolutely right regarding being informed for the charge of water I am sorry that this was not communicated to you. Again I would also like to apologise for your in room breakfast experience, this is certainly not the experience you should have received. Please be assured that I will be addressing these comments that you have made with our Restaurant Manager.

I am delighted that all the team you encountered were polite, friendly and welcoming and that you found it to be nice here. I am also very sorry that you did not feel like your stay had the wow factor.

A lot of apologies in my reply to you and I do mean them sincerely.
If you do decide to stay with us again in the future, please contact myself directly sfearnley@handpicked.co.uk where I will ensure you the very best of our attention.

Kind Regards,

Burscough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Just returned from and overnight weekend stay at this most beautiful of Hotels. This is the second Handpicked Hotel we have stayed at (Woodhall Spa Weatherby) being the other. We were on a package that included afternoon Tea evening meal and breakfast. The hotel, staff, grounds facilities and food were of the highest standard I can not fault any of the above. HOWEVER... why do hotels feel the need to completely rip customers off with charging UNREALISTIC & EXTORTIONATE prices for drinks £9.75 - £13.95 for a single glass of wine I could buy a good quality bottle for that???? I have stayed in some central London hotels that haven't charged these prices. I could understand if these were high quality wines but they were just run of the mill. Come on this is unacceptable... I wasn't the only one commenting on this issue. I know your running a business but with your buying power why such high prices when you probably only pay £3/5 a bottle?? Secondly be aware of staying Saturday night, as we were checking in there were a number of disgruntled customers complaining about waiting far too long for food in the restaurant (3 hours for a meal????) if that was me I wouldn't have enjoyed the occasion. Beautiful hotel great service ridiculous drinks prices. Word of advise take your own...... This would be a 5 star score otherwise

Room Tip: Executive rooms fabulous worth the upgrade
1 Thank Michael T
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Hello Michael T,

Thank you for your review following your recent overnight weekend stay.

Thank you for also choosing another Hotel within the Hand Picked collection. I was very pleased to read that overall all elements of your stay you could not fault.

I am sorry that you found our drinks tariff to be unrealistic and extortionate. I can confirm that that our prices start at £6.00 for a small glass of wine.
Our wines are personally chosen and selected by our owner with a select few being produced at her own vineyard.
These are served in elegant surroundings with attentive table service and are also accompanied by quality nibbles. I am sorry that you felt this experience did not offer exceptional value for money for a 4* hotel. As with the wines we also have a good choice of beers, ales and spirits which vary in price according to the brand chosen.

The Saturday night you mention in your review was a particularly busy one but no excuses, it simply was not the experience our guests should have. This is not a regular occurrence and I can assure others reading this review that feedback received from our guests has been addressed to ensure we prevent any reoccurrence.

Thank you again for your review, I do hope that this would not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Amsterdam
Reviewed 26 June 2014

last weekend my2 colleagues and I were in Cheshire for a course in Winford. Since we knew the course would be very intensive, we decided to look for a peaceful, relaxing hotel. On the internet I found Rookery Hall and it ultimately exceeded all our expectations. It is situated in the lovely Cheshire countryside, the terrace has a beautiful view (we were lucky enough to enjoy beautiful weather during our stay) and the rooms are large and comfortable. All the amenities one requires are available. The service is impeccable and friendly. Since we made long and tiring days we have ultimately ,not found the time to try the spa, but judging from the cars pulling up it is a popular and appreciated place within the area.
While we were there we had an afternoon tea, had a bite from the bar menu and had dinner twice in the restaurant. Everything was much better than we ever would have expected. Also, breakfast was wonderful with an extensive buffet plus a choice of a hot dish.
On the Saturday and Sunday, breakfast was served from 8 AM instead of 7 AM and since we had to make a very early start at our course, we were not able to enjoy the full breakfast. Still, they did their best to get us something to eat anyway.
In the end we were not disappointed with the cost at all; considering the service and good quality it is great value. I will certainly recommend Rookery Hall to anyone traveling to Cheshire.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hello Bloemski,

Thank you fro sharing your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

What a lovely idea the three of you had to enjoy a well deserved peaceful break after attending an intensive course. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope that the course went well.

We have had some lovely weather recently so I am glad this was the case when you stayed with us so you could take in the beautiful view from our terrace overlooking also the fountain lawn.
It is a shame that you didn’t get the opportunity to use the Health Club & Spa facilities during your stay – maybe next time?

I’m delighted that you enjoyed all of your dining experiences from afternoon tea, to dinner and breakfast.
I am sorry to read that you didn’t get the opportunity to enjoy the full traditional breakfast experience here at the hotel. I was pleased to read that the team ensured you did have something to eat before your busy days ahead.

Thank you for your lovely words regarding service and quality and for your recommendation to others who may find themselves travelling to Cheshire.

Best Wishes

Manchester
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We visited the hotel for a friends wedding in May. The wedding was at 2pm, but unfortunately we couldn't get into our room until 3pm, but were offered the use of the spa to get ready. We had our lunch in the spa which was lovely, a bit pricey, but not unusual for a hotel. The staff were all really helpful and friendly and the wedding went very smoothly. We were checked into our room quickly in-between the service and the meal. The room was fantastic - couldn't fault it and would have loved to be able to use it more. The wedding breakfast was delicious and all the staff were fantastic. The room was beautifully decorated and laid out. We were surprised at how reasonable the drinks were in the evening. We had a fabulous day and night there and our stay was finished off nicely with a delicious breakfast, with loads to choose from. Wished we were staying for longer. Great venue for a wedding and a lovely hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Sue E,

Thank you for your review following your friends wedding in May and thank you for choosing to stop overnight.

Please accept my apologies that your room was not ready on arrival, our check in time is from 3pm but I was pleased to read that the team looked after you in offering you somewhere to get ready.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed a lovely lunch in our café bar prior to the wedding and I am sorry that you found it a little pricey.

I’m delighted to read that the team were all helpful and friendly which helped with the smooth running of the wedding.
A fabulous day and night finished with a delicious breakfast is most certainly the experience we want our guests to have.

Thank you for your kind comments about the venue. You will have to come and stay with us again to enjoy the bedroom facilities.

Thank you again for you review.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Arrived on a Wednesday evening to a quiet reception area where we were checked in quickly and efficiently. Our room was spacious and clean with nice extras such as fruit bowl and water.
The spa is lovely and was a pleasure to use. Breakfast next morning was fantastic, its displayed beautifully and the service is friendly and efficient. The hot breakfast menu is varied and if my husbands full English is anything to go by its all fresh and came to the table piping hot. A lovely stay and would certainly recommend.

1 Thank lakeland1966
Hello lakeland1966,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

I am pleased to read that your check in experience was efficient and that you enjoyed your room allocation.

I was also pleased to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy our Health Club & Spa facilities whilst staying with us.

As mentioned in responses to other guest reviews, breakfast is definitely an experience not to be missed at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa. You’re right the hot English breakfast is indeed fresh using locally sourced ingredients.

I’m delighted you had a lovely stay and thank you for recommending to others. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Guildford
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My partner and I stayed here for one night on a recent journey from south to north to visit the Lake District. First impressions were good with lovely tranquil grounds, an attached spa (which we didn't have time to use), and a pretty terrace from the bar with a fountain, all adding to the peaceful, graceful feel of the place.

The room was large with a king size double bed which was very comfortable. Good air conditioning. Very clean and attention paid to detail. The bathroom was again very clean with a bathtub and shower over - like many showers over baths, the screen leaked, ending up with a slightly wet floor - but this in not really a fault.

We had the choice of dining in the restaurant or bar and we chose the bar which was fine - I think it was pretty good value food for a hotel - about £15 for main course. We drank beer not wine and again pretty good value and a nice selection of real ales. The bar was open to the large patio area outside with tables and chairs, a lovely view of the old house and a fountained terrace.

Breakfast was included with a buffet of cereals, pastries etc and the choice of cooked full english as well as different types of eggs, eggs benedict - toast of course as well with a choice of white or brown.

The bed was comfortable but the only downside was that we had room 1 - this is on the ground floor (right next to reception) but adjacent was a rear exit t0 the building and from about 6am there was quite a lot of noise - people coming and going and also what sounded like trolleys being pulled along.

Overall I liked this hotel and would certainly recommend it as either a stopover or a longer stay. I would certainly return.

Room Tip: - possibly not Room 1 !!
Dear Peter R,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, following your recent journey to the Lake District.
As we are conveniently located only 15 minutes away from the M6 it does make it easier to break long journeys up.

I’m pleased to read that the overall cleanliness and comfort of your room was to your satisfaction but would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the noise you encountered from 6am in the morning. You mention that you could hear trolleys being pulled along, so I will be getting our Head Chef to speak to our suppliers regarding delivery times. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am pleased you enjoyed your dining experience and found it be of good value. You mention the fountain terrace in your review and this is most certainly a perfect place to enjoy and take in the breathtaking grounds on a lovely day/evening.

Thank you for your recommendation to others and I do hope to welcome you back in the future. At the booking stage of your next visit please do put a request to be allocated a different room.

I hope you enjoyed your time in the Lake District.

Stephen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
#1 of 1 in Broxton
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!