“Last minute overnight stay”

Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Last minute overnight stay”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Last minute stay in a beautiful location and a lovely junior suite named June.

We had our evening meal and breakfast in the suite and both were prompt and high quality food.

Downside was very tardy bell staff took for ever to locate them for check in and we carried our cases downstairs on departure as no staff seemed visible any where.

Would stay again but would be more insistent ref Bell staff next time.

I would suggest closing outside tables to guests post 10 pm as children at 2210 hrs shouting and playing outside my suite windows is a bit much at this late hour.

Room Tip: June was a lovely junior suite
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hello Martin S,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

I do agree June is lovely Junior Suite with views over looking the Cheshire countryside to wake up to of a morning.

I’m pleased to note that all was to your satisfaction with your in room dining for your evening meal and breakfast the following morning.

Apologies that it took some time locate our Concierge to help with your luggage on arrival. I am also sorry to hear that you ended up carrying your own luggage on departure. If you do stay with us again prior to departing your room please do ring the Reception where they will arrange collection of your luggage.

Guests have been making the most of this lovely weather we have been fortunate to enjoy by sitting out on our terrace at the back of the hotel of an evening. I am sorry on this occasion you were disturbed.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back and thank you again for your review.

Stephen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We spent just one night at the Rookery Hall Hotel but will be back for a longer stay! From arriving to leaving, we found the staff to be genuinely friendly and efficient. Our room was clean and extremely comfortable. A walk around the grounds and outdoor games was rounded off with a drink on the terrace, proper tea too rather than insipid tea bags.
We ate in the bar rather than the restaurant which was enjoyable and the continental breakfast we had was excellent.
Soon be my birthday... Are you listening Hubby!?!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WuggyWendy
Hello WuggyWendy,

Thank you for your review following your one night stay and thank you for choosing Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa.

I’m pleased to read that throughout your stay all team members you encountered were friendly and efficient.

I am also happy to read that during your visit you enjoyed our lovely grounds by taking a walk and playing with the outdoor games.
It is also pleasing to read that you enjoyed both dining experiences.

I do hope hubby has taken note of your review as we would love to welcome you back for your birthday.

See you soon.

Tamworth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel on the 31st of July, we were very impressed - BUT a couple of issues that simply cannot be ignored!

But we will start with the positives....

My wife had a pregnancy massage and said it was fantastic! The actual swimming pool etc was excellent and the staff there were fantastic!

The afternoon tea was superb, the happy anniversary message on the top tier written in chocolate sauce was a lovely touch.

The executive room (which we eventually got too at the third time of asking due to an early check in mix up!) was without doubt the nicest hotel room I have ever stayed in while in England!

The bed was the comfiest bed we have ever experienced!

Now for the not so good bits!
Dinner was superb but literally was 40-60 minutes wait between courses - also we waited around 40 minutes for a drink to arrive at one point! This is unacceptable to be honest, and we were very disappointed! The staff friendliness and the actual food were excellent though but the wait just put a slight dampener on what was our 1st anniversary meal!

We had a lovely stay and we really did enjoy it, but the dinner service really did stop it from being perfection - we did mention this to reception on checkout but not any more than a 'sorry' was offered to us.... Whereas the lady checking out in front of us complained too (as did a lot of diners in the restaurant during dinner) and she received her breakfasts for free so I'm not sure why her complaint but not ours resulted in a complimentary breakfast!

Overall would recommend but please be prepared to spend up to 3 hours in the restaurant at night!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Craig D
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Craig D,

Thank you for choosing Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa to celebrate your Anniversary and to enjoy your Babymoon break. Congratulations to you both as well.

I was delighted to read that your wife had the opportunity to relax and enjoy our Elemis Nurturing Massage fro Mother-to-be it is a wonderful massage which is adapted to each stage of pregnancy from 13 weeks onwards. I was also happy to read that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and that the anniversary message was happily received.

I’m sorry to note the mix up you mention without knowing the full details I am sorry I cannot give further explanation on this. That said I was pleased to read that this was all resolved to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed your room allocation. We get many comments regarding our comfy beds so I’m pleased you got a good nights sleep. Very important when you’ve a new arrival on the way.

I was concerned to read your comments relating to your Restaurant experience. Unfortunately on the evening that you dined we did have some back of house challenges which we are aware of but this should not have impacted on our guests experience and this simply wasn’t good enough so please accept my very sincere apologies. I’m happy to read that the team looked after you and that the food was excellent.

The Reception team aim to enquire as to how guests found their stay and there is a Duty Manager available at all times and I regret that you did not have the opportunity to meet with the Duty Manager in person which would have enabled you to raise your disappointment and concerns at the time.

Thank you again for you feedback and for your recommendation to others. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa at some stage in the near future. Please contact the hotel direct where I will ensure you receive the very best of our attention.

All the very best wishes for your new arrival.

warwickshire
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My fiancé and I went to Rookery Hall for a Two night stay, We went to reception to check in, our first impressions of reception staff were not great to be honest. We felt they weren't very friendly and made us feel uneasy. On one of the mornings the reception staff were having a good old chat about who owed who money ? Ok to chat when not busy but guest don't need to hear all about it. We were shown to our room which we were very pleased with. The bar staff were lovely and very attentive, dinner was really good, fab food and service. Breakfast the next morning was very good with a lot of choice, service was excellent. We had dinner in the bar the 2nd evening which was also very good.
The only thing we felt was the hotel was a little tired in areas and some of the decor was not in keeping with the period of the rooms. Eg: chrome lamps in breakfast room didn't go at all.
All in all we had a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Deluxe executive room was lovely had everything you would need
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeaniem6
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear jeaniem6,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa.

Please accept my very sincere apologies regarding your experience with our Reception team here at the hotel. I have spoken with my Front Office Manager who sends her personal apologies to you. Please be assured that the feedback will be shared with the team to ensure we maintain and enhance the experience of our guests, to make them feel special especially on arrival. I am just sorry that this was not the case on this occasion.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience and enjoyed your evening meal on both evenings.

We do have a maintenance programme in place which our Maintenance Manager and his team are currently reviewing to address some of the tired looking areas. I’m sorry to note that you didn’t think some of the décor was in keeping with the period of the rooms.

I’m delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

North Wales
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night at this hotel on their special Cheshire Escape deal - an afternoon cream tea with a glass of champagne and dinner, bed and breakfast in an executive room for £149.
We arrived at the hotel at 2pm only to be informed (rather snootily) that check in was not until 3pm. We have traveled to very many hotels and never experienced such a late check in.
However, we decided to enjoy our cream tea. Two scones each, which were very good, served with pots of various jams and nice thick cream and a lovely glass of champagne. A choice of tea or coffee was offered.
We went back to reception at 3pm and the young lady checked if our room was ready. Fortunately it was and she led us out to the newer part of the hotel through a door down some stairs and along the corridor where housekeeping were still working and chatting.
Our room was in a basement with a view of a grass bank however it was nicely decorated and clean (bathroom floor still damp). If you chose to sit out there was a small table and two chairs outside.
Although it says wifi only works in the main hotel it worked fine down there which was good.
Later we enjoyed a walk in the grounds and then a bottle of Rośe sitting on the terrace. Personally we found the wine list ridiculously highly priced and paid £29 for a very mediocre wine.
When I returned to our room I checked TripAdvisor reports to find other mention of the high wine prices. On one the Manager had replied saying that there were bottles of house wine at £23 and by the glass at £6. Interesting - maybe we missed them on the Wine List we were given?!
Later my husband asked the barman and sure enough we enjoyed a very pleasant bottle of red wine with our dinner at just £23! We are certainly not skinflints but object to paying more than £25 for average wines in hotels.
For the included dinner there is an allowance given but many items have a supplement added.
The food was fine, nothing to go away and rave about but still good.
Overall Service was mixed - some staff seemed to have a superiority issue, were they quite obviously felt they were doing you a favour! Others, like Mandy in the dining room, were lovely, very efficient, friendly and helpful.
We did not work out why some people were directed to a smaller, more intimate dining room both for breakfast and dinner when it seemed not available to all?
This is a beautiful hotel in a lovely setting but would we return? Probably not, because having spent our lives in the Service industry running our own retail and catering businesses, we, personally, like to enjoy more warmth of welcome and attitude!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ClaraM,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent overnight stay.

I’m sorry that on arrival you were unhappy to be informed that your room was not ready and that you found our check in time to be later than you have previously experienced.
That said I was pleased to note that you had the opportunity to enjoy your champagne cream tea that is included in our Cheshire Escape package.

I’m also happy to read that on arrival back to reception that your room was ready and that the Receptionist personally showed you to your room. I’m sorry that the bathroom floor was still damp.
The rooms on the lower ground floor in our executive wing are lovely to enjoy a drink outside of a summers evening.

I was pleased to note that having accessed the wifi you were able to read my reply to another reviewer regarding our wine list and our prices.

I’m sorry to read that you received mixed service from the team as this is most certainly not the feedback we are used to receiving. I will be sure to thank Mandy personally for looking after you.

In answer to your query regarding our dining areas, we have two restaurants available the Salon and our Oak Room both of which offer our fine dining menu. When we are busy we have the two rooms available and tables are allocated accordingly.

I do agree that the hotel is beautiful and in a lovely setting. I am sorry to read that this recent visit would deter you from staying with us in the future. If you do decide to visit us again please do contact me direct where I will ensure you receive the very best of our attention.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here for a business trip.

All in all a lovely hotel & relaxing spa, but I think the customer serivce in the bar and catering could do with a little sharpening up.

Unfortunately both at breakfast, and for a few drinks in the evening we had to wait a long time, and chase up service everytime we had ordered, and on some occasions people were served before us when we had been waiting a while.

I am sure these things will be easily addressed but it would have made my stay an "excellent" if service was sorted.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear WhiteRoseTammy,

Thank you for your review, following your recent business trip and thank you for choosing Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa.

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the hotel and spa.

I’m disappointed to read your feedback regarding the service received in our bar area and at breakfast. Please accept my very sincere apologies for this and please be assured that your feedback will be shared with the team so that we can address these issues.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back where you will have the opportunity to experience personally that your feedback has been taken on board.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a one night stay with dinner and breakfast. The Receptionist showed us to our room which was a nice, personal touch. We were very happy with our room, with the bed being the comfiest I have ever stayed in at a hotel! The food was delicious and beautifully presented. I must comment on the young staff on duty during dinner. They were so polite and happy and a real credit to the hotel! We would definitely like to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello FragrantMe,

What a “Wonderful” heading to your review – thank you.

Thank you also for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for your very kind words throughout your review regarding your stay especially the recognition you have given to the team members. I’m pleased to note that all were polite and happy. This truly makes a difference to the guest experience.

The comfy bed you slept in looks forward to your return visit, as do the team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Stephen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
#1 of 1 in Broxton
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!