“Reliably good”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
“Reliably good”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here with my wife in July on our way to North Wales. I have visited previously on business trips and have always been impressed. We took a room in the old building which had great character. The only downside was that it overlooked the car park (not very busy other than several Bentley's on a day out from the nearby factory) but with views of trees beyond and the advantage of lovely late afternoon sun.

The food here is really first class and the wine list still has a number of the very great 2000 vintage bordeaux at not silly prices. Also, a large number of excellent New World wines. The food and service have always been excellent but the restaurant is, not surprisingly, very popular and reservation of a table is essential, even for guests staying at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim S
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Hello Tim S,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit.

Thank you also for choosing Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa as your hotel of choice on your way to North Wales.

It is lovely to welcome guests back especially if they stayed for business, it also gives you the opportunity to enjoy the hotel & spa from a leisure perspective also.
I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your room allocation and despite over looking one of our car parks you still had views of the trees and got the advantage of the afternoon sun.

Thank you for your kind words regarding our food. I have shared this feedback with our Head Chef and his team and he would also like to thank you personally for this compliment.
I’m pleased to read that you ad he opportunity to sample and enjoy our wine list.
You are indeed right, the Restaurant is very popular and advance table reservations are highly recommended.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stephen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed at Rookery Hall for one night (Saturday) over the weekend. We arrived midday and decided to have lunch. We sat outside (having passed the barman saying hello) on the veranda as it was a nice day. The poor service started when we had waited nearly 15 minutes and no one came to our table to welcome us, ask if we would like a drink and offer a menu. I also had to get rid of a dirty ashtray off the table and lift the parasol up myself so that I could talk across the table to my wife! After another 10 minute wait, still no one came to our table to take our order. I had to go to the bar myself to place the order. I ordered drinks and food and some peanuts to tide us over. It took nearly another 10 minutes before the peanuts were delivered to our table. This is just poor and very slow service; they were not busy, there was only one other couple in the bar area. When our lunch arrived, it was excellent quality food but quite expensive. Two sandwiches, a bowl of chips, a beer and gin and tonic were £33.

Regarding the accommodation, I booked the "suite" which again, was quite expensive. The suite consisted of a super king bed and a separate room with an uncomfortable couch and a very old TV. I think the definition "suite" is too grand a term for this room. The bathroom was nice, the bedroom and lounge decoration were tired. The bed was comfortable. This a 4 star hotel and there was no fridge in the room or air conditioning and it was very hot. A fan was provided but it was far too noisy to use and sleep at the same time. I also asked for a Sunday Telegraph newspaper for the morning but a Sunday Mail paper was delivered instead.

We had an evening meal in the package. The restaurant was busy and the quality of the food was excellent. We had paid in the package to have a glass of fizz on arrival but this never arrived (again, this was down to poor service).

At breakfast, the food was excellent. However, the waitress who took my order delivered the wrong order and it had to be changed. I asked for a top up of coffee but after 10 minutes it still didn't arrive. I then had to ask twice before the coffee arrived. This is another example of poor service.

We used the spa and pool. This was lovely, clean and were excellent facilities. This facility is a big plus for the hotel.

All staff were very friendly however there was a very poor general standard of service. These are basic requirements of any hotel, regardless of the number of stars it has. The management need to take a good look at their training policies as the very poor service levels has massively let them down. It's a shame as the hotel is in a lovely setting and the food is excellent.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with AC if they have one!
1 Thank Lifeisgood777
Dear Lifeisgood777,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your evening meal and that the food again at breakfast was excellent.

Our Health Club & Spa facilities are excellent so I was pleased to note that you had the opportunity to enjoy them whilst staying with us.

I am happy to read that the team you encountered were friendly and that you found the food to be excellent.

With regards to your other feedback in your review I would like to offer you my very sincere apologies again and would also like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to discuss these issues personally with you.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Surprised my wife with a one night spa break for our anniversary, we were both impressed with the facilities. The health and spa building was very modern, fully kitted out with steam and sauna and a beautiful hydrotherapy pool, one of many features which made it stand out from Crewe Hall. The jacuzzi beds were amazing, in comparison to Crewe Halls which could only fit 2 people inside. We opted for the rooms in the main hall to stay in, and we truly had no regrets. The room had so much character and the bathroom was incredible. The bath was enormous, the only thing missing was coral at the bottom and it was like diving in the great barrier reef. His and her sinks was a life saver especially having to wait for the wife to get ready for dinner with her necessary pampering and my only need to brush my teeth. Just before sitting for our meal, we were taken to the bar for a drink and given some olives, nuts and vegetable crisps another small attention to detail which makes this hotel stand out. The food was immaculate, all 3 courses. We did have quite a long wait between courses, but this was understandable with the amount of guests they had on this particular evening. Their service was faultless considering their workload. In the evening we enjoyed a few drinks on the terrace near the beautifully displayed water feature, my wife was given a blanket to keep her warm another tick in the box for great service and care. The following morning at breakfast was amazing, great selection of a proper continental breakfast and fry up, may have been a little greedy and had 4 courses for breakfast. I am a growing boy i might add. All in all, Rookery Hall is a must, if its for a spa break or just an overnight stay, I cannot wait to go back. Thank you, you made our wedding anniversary special.

1 Thank Sweeneyt14
Hello Sweeneyt14,

What a lovely surprise for your wife, Happy Anniversary to you both and thank you for choosing Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa to celebrate.

I’m delighted to read that you fully enjoyed our Health Club & Spa facilities.

The rooms in the main house are full of character, so I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your room allocation. I think from your description I know which room you stayed in and what a lovely description of the bath, how wonderful it would be to have coral at the bottom? I agree that double sinks are a life saver when getting ready to go out, although I am sure my wife would say it was the other way round in our family.

I am pleased to read that you were looked after throughout your dining experience and that you had the opportunity to enjoy drinks on the terrace after your meal.
Breakfast at Rookery is a great way to start the day and four courses for breakfast for a growing boy is not excessive; I’m just you glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you for your really lovely review and for sharing your experience with others on Trip Advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed at Rookery Hall 26/27 July and were looking fwd to our stay as we have had positive experiences at other Handpicked Hotels. The location, buildings, rooms/bathrooms and spa are lovely, however there is a distinct pervasive smell of care home in the public areas of the main building. We felt that the staff, though pleasant, lacked the polish and professionalism of other Handpicked hotels. The food leaves a lot to be desired as well. Hotel food is rarely of decent quality so we did not have high expectations and we were correct not to have raised hopes. The set menu was £37.00, and together with the al a carte menu, contained limited/odd choices with ludicrous pretentious titles for the dishes and we struggled to make a decision. If we had been in close proximity to an alternative restaurant, we would have left. The portions were small as well. When will chefs realise, that regardless of the income, experience or palette of their guest, they will always require the option of plain, honest, good quality, unpretentious and decent sized portions. I also find it extraordinary that I am expected to pay extra for potatoes/vegetables as a side order. Surely a meal is a meal, not just a portion of fish or meat. Perhaps we could have asked for something different and not on the menu. Breakfast was not notable either. I would add that this sad food business is not unique to Rookery Hall but to the other Handpicked hotels at which we have stayed. In fact, on one visit, rather than eat in the restaurant the second night, we raided Waitrose and feasted in our oom instead. On chatting to some other guests, we discovered we were not only people to do so! We visit and stay in the Nantwich area on a regular basis and were hoping to make Rookery Hall our favoured hotel but doubt that we will. I am sorry to have write what seems like a harsh and negative review but hope it will be regarded as constructive criticism and something to build on because everything else about this hotel is spot on. Just a few tweeks will do it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Turner044
Dear Turner044,

Thank you for reviewing your July visit on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the location and buildings, including the Spa. I am sorry to hear that during your visit there was an odour of some description in some of the public areas. I must admit I have not smelt this personally, but thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased to read that the team were pleasant during your visit, but I am disappointed to read that you felt the team did not have a polished and professional approach. Please be assured that this feedback has been shared with the team.

Please accept my very sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your dining experience. Our Restaurant is a 2 Rosette Restaurant and undergoes regular inspections to keep this status. I am sorry that your experience did not reflect the quality and standard associated with this accolade. For other guests reading this reply to your review, we do also have an alternative menu available in our lounge and bar area. I am also sorry to hear that you did enjoy your breakfast experience as we receive many positive comments about our breakfast selection.

I really am sorry to be receiving this feedback and also sorry that we didn’t get the opportunity to discuss your feedback prior to your departure as we are always receptive to guest feedback even when it is uncomfortable to do so. All feedback is welcomed as this helps us to improve our standards, service and facilities for our guests.

Should you decide to stay with us again in the future please do contact me directly where I will ensure you receive the very best of our attention. As it is a shame to note that this recent experience would deter you from stopping again especially as you mention everything else was spot on.

Kind Regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in July during 'heatwave' - the lack of air con made our stay a little less comfortable... Be sure to ask for a room with AC if staying in Summer.
Breakfast was lovely. Would stay again if ever exploring gorgeous English countryside again.
Bed was extremely comfortable/ luxurious :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Hello MelbourneJules1,

Thank you for your review following your two night stay in July and thank you for choosing Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa.

I’m sorry to read that your stay was not that comfortable following the very warm weather.
Unfortunately and I do apologise not all of our rooms have air conditioning in them. For others reading this reply who maybe thinking of a visit to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa our executive and double deluxe rooms in our executive wing of the hotel all have air conditioning units. I was happy to note that you found the bed to be comfortable and luxurious.

Breakfast is a highlight of any guest stay with our cold buffet selection to start and our hot traditional breakfast cooked to order. I’m glad you enjoyed this experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Henley-on-thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I got married in a very small ceremony, just parents, in Crewe on 26th July this year. We were treated to a night stay in the June room, as a wedding gift. It was a total surprise and it was an amazing one at that. The reception team were all very helpful, as were the bar, restaurant, spa and breakfast teams. I honestly cannot recommend this place enough for a luxury night away.
The bed was so comfortable that we didn't want to leave and the views across the Cheshire countryside are beautiful.
We walked the grounds, had a bar meal then decided to go and chill at the pool and health spa. It was amazing and I've never felt more relaxed.

As we were having a humanist, forest wedding with all of our friends and family two days later, we really enjoyed and needed the prior relaxation. It was just perfect!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Hannahlat,

Congratulations on your wedding day and thank you for your review following your surprise over night stay.

What a lovely wedding gift to receive. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

I’m pleased to read that all team members you encountered were very helpful.

The June room is beautiful with the large four poster bed and does have lovely views over looking the Cheshire countryside.

As we are situated in the Cheshire countryside it makes for a peaceful setting to enjoy our grounds. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed our Health Club & Spa facilities also.

Very best wishes to you both and I look forward to welcoming you back to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa in the future.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

In one word AMAZING ....however I feel I need to elaborate further ...we had two days before and two days after our wedding at this venue , the grounds are stunning for casual walks around hotel , and beautiful wedding photographs . The hotel staff are very much trained to be able to meet every request asked of them by guests .. The general manager is always floating around to assess the hotel which I feel adds to the chilled relaxed atmosphere of your stay there ..food is to a very high spec I feel ,also wine is second to non ..and as it was our wedding champagne went down very smoothly too...the rooms are all cleaned to a very high standard of cleanliness and a lovely touch made by the housekeepers on an evening with their turn down service and book markers n poems ..

The wedding coordinates and the wedding manageress Jayne n Stephen took a lot of stress from the wedding off our hands and nothing ,,not even a hick up was made ...the wedding breakfast was perfect .

I could go on n on but it's good good good on every single aspect ..I would recommend it for that special wedding , anniversary , romantic stay etc ....but even just as a getaway chill it's perfect .

Gary n Deb Hough. Wedding Sunday 3rd August 2014

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. New modern in the new wing , or old feature in the old hall wing
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Congratulations Mr & Mrs Hough.

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor following your recent wedding celebration.

To describe your wedding as AMAZING is truly a wonderful compliment to receive so thank you and thank you for choosing Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa to host your special day. It was certainly a pleasure to be part of this memorable occasion.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel & grounds and for the recognition you have given to the team including myself I feel very honoured.

I sincerely thank you for your review and I will be sure to personally thank Jane and Steve for looking after you.

Thank you for your recommendation to others and we all look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

Best Wishes for your future,

Stephen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
#1 of 1 in Broxton
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!