“Super Friendly Efficient Staff Team!”

Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Reviewed 10 January 2012

10th January 2012.

This was our very first visit to a Warners Holiday.

My Wife and I started off 2012 very well with a visit to Alveston Hall which was supposed to be from the 3rd January (Tuesday) 'till the 6th January (Friday). In the event though and as we where having such a lovely time, we stayed on for an extra two nights because Alvaston had The Glen Miller Tribute Band playing on Saturday night.

Right from entering this lovely Hotel and Complex we where made to feel very welcome by a lovely fire burning in fireplace of the reception area which was populated by a very friendly and welcoming reception team.

Special mention to Sharon Yates and Sue for your kindness here.

This theme continued right through to the Alvaston entertainment and restaurant team. The food was spot on and apart from one arguably (well, some people found him funny!) bum cabaret (Billy Hunter) Comedian my Wife and I could not find anything at all to moan about during our stay.

And believe me guys....I am rather prone to moan. (So my Wife tells me!)

I do however offer a word of caution about something which may or may not bother you.....
But it does me. If where you are sat both for Dining and entertainment does not matter to you then you can stop reading now!

As previous reviewers have mentioned the seating system for Alvason Hall is that on entering the very nice Dining and Entertainment room you are shown to your seat which is previously allocated to you for the duration of your stay. Now then, that seat wherever it is is the one you stay in for both Dining and all of the Main Entertainment.

Now then...this works absolutely wonderful if you are happy with where you are placed.

However, perhaps you do not like being right at or near the front where the dancing and entertainment is? Perhaps you do not like being seated at the back/sides in the middle or wherever in what is actually quite a very large room?

BUT IF YOU ARE! TOUGH......if the place is full (and it usually is) then you are stuck with that placement.

I have posted photo's of the room to give you an idea of what the room is like..............

If the above thought fills you with dread....then you are in luck...as I have the answer for you free of charge!

Perhaps a couple of days before arrival either telephone Alvaston Hall direct on.........

--- or E. Mail

-----------

......and advise them where your preference for seating is, and as with my Wife and I they obliged with our preference of a lovely table near the front.

We like to sit near or even at the front in order to properly see the entertainment and dancers. Our little foible perhaps?

Alvaston Hall must be doing a lot right though because we met many people who go there a lot. One couple we talked to have been 7 times, though I bet that can be beat!

One other quick tip is to make use of all the facilities like Swimming Pool/ Jacuzzi/ Archery etc. so you get value for money.

Have a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: The courtyard Rooms are at the bottom of the pricing chain. We stayed in a standard room on the sec...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Booze C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,565)

Reviewed 10 January 2012

We decided to join my wife's parents who were staying at the hotel for the weekend during which there was a 'Glen Miller tribute orchestra' appearing. We stayed for just one night and it was a pleasant stay. Despite other reviews, we found the staff all very pleasant and very patient with their elderly clientele. There are areas of the hotel that need some attention - some carpets are in need of cleaning/replacement but generally it's a nice place with character. We were upgraded to a signature room which was quiet, well equipped (flat screen TV/DVD Player/fridge/king size bed) and we were very happy with it. The evening's entertainment was good although the restaurant is very big - more like a large entertainment venue with 'functional' tables/chairs than a nice restaurant - but it's ok! The food is quite nice and well presented and our waitress (Sophie) was lovely!
Drinks are quite expensive - £9 (yes, £9!) for a large glass of wine (sauvignon blanc) and £3.70 for a pint of bitter (the tap says it's Marston's pedigree but it sure didn't taste like pedigree to me and I know my beer!).
It's worth pointing out that Warners Hotels cater for elderly people, we are in our early 50's and felt incresibly young here - I would estimate the average age of the guests was 75 or so (although the Glenn Miller act may have attracted an older than normal clientele), this did have its advantages - the swimming pool/jacuzzi/steam room etc were all empty!
Overall, it's a reasonable 3-star hotel in a nice area (worth visiting Chester) and I would visit again depending on the entertainment and if I could get a good deal!

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade to a signature room (or a suite if you can!)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Derekjf
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I booked this twixmas has a surprise for my wife, I upgraded to the ROYALE room and was not disappointed at all. Upon arrival I was informed that I was a member of the concierge club which entitled us to privalges that we surprised at. The food was good and entertainment was brilliantly performed by the entertainments team and visiting artists. We had a very good time and fullt enjoyed the break, Would recommend visiting.

Room Tip: We whole layout of the rooms is good with views to the front and rear of the prmises
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alan1947
Reviewed 28 November 2011

recently booked into this hotel with my wife as we were celebrating our anniversary. We were invited to enjoy a wecome drink in the coutyard bar. The barman serving the wine asked us as we entered if i was with my girlfriend or secretary. seeing that i was stunned and shocked by his course and impertinent remarks--he then stated" People only bring their girlfriends, secretaries or chauffers here". my wife and i wondered whether we arrived at the right hotel as we did not want to be associated with an hotel with such a scandalous reputation. We left the bar and i sought out the duty manager. She listened to my complaints regarding the uncouth reception. She said that she had had several complaints about this barmans behaviour and would look into it and get back to me. She did not get back to me needless to say.
I would have thought that Warners would have been very protective of their reputation but it does not seem so. The General Manager was on his day off but never got in touch with us either even though we were there for 4 days.
Needless to say that my wife and i did not fill in their customer quality questionaire on leaving as nothing would be done about our concerns or otherwise.
With the exception of barman and the totally ineffective duty manager the other staff were very nice and helpfull.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mactourer
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Booked a special weekend for our 25th wedding anniversary. Having stayed at Nidd Hall previously we had an idea what to expect.Unfortunately Alvaston didnot live up to our expectations. We Payed extra for a Royal room, The decor was lovely but the cleaning could have been better. We went for a Abba weekend, we were very surprised at the age of other guests. Infact being late 40s early 50yrs we felt quite young. The brochure portrays a younger clientele however that was not the case with average age late 60's onwards.
The one highlight was the home entertainment team and Iain the compare who was fantastic. thanks to them. Would not stay again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PlymouthGazza
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at this Hotel, the first time just with my wife and, as we enjoyed the experience so much, on our second visit we invited two other couples to come with us, making a party of 6 in total. The main reason for our stay was for "The Beatles experience" as we all all Beatles fans. It did not disappoint - the hotel itself is super being a Grade II-listed Victorian Hotel in nice grounds and having a 9-hole golf course and driving range - one free round for every guest. We found the course interesting and challenging. The rooms were quite small and the one we had was over the kitchen which was not great, however they were clean and tidy and adequate. The food was very good - you eat in the same room as the show room which was actually quite nice as it saved having to worry about finishing your meal and finding a seat in the show room. The service was good overall however on the first night our waitress simply disappeared for ages - apparently she had been called in to see the manager and just failed to return. Other waiters had to cover. The day trip to Liverpool (part of the Beatles Experience) was excellent both times with very interesting and knowledgeable guides - highly recommended! The evening entertainment was first class - the in house entertainment team were great and the Beatles tribute band were super. Well worth a visit

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank louie&Gar
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Just returned from a three day break at Alveston (Fri-Mon) and we have had a great short break. The food was absolutely delicious, it was hot ,beautifully served and a good variety. We have stayed at other Warners and the food here was probably the best we have had. The waiting on staff were very efficient and pleasant.
We were upgraded to a Signature room,as the rooms we had booked were being refurbished. This was a very nice room,but the fridge was missing and the patio doors would not open. Small things but if I had paid the going rate for the room would have been slightly dissapointed. The room was spotlessly clean.
The entertainment was very good especially Sat and Sun nights. Sat night was Neil Diamond tribute and he was superb,performing for about an hour and three quarters. Sunday night was the house team and they were good too, especially the man on the organ,and who also played piano,he was hilarious! He had a good working relationship with the compere and we had a good laugh at the "double act".
The negative points were mainly the carpets in reception and surrounding ground floor public rooms,they are well past their sell by date and have a not very nice musty smell. Also this is a cabaret diner venue,so you keep the same seat all night. The room itself is fine but for some reason we only got tablecloths on the table on Sunday night. I have never experienced this in any other Warner venue,I suppose it's a cost cutting thing.
We did not try out the pool,golf or spa so am unable to comment on these but did hear the pool is excellent and it is in a separate block at the bottom of the grounds.
We had an excellent afternoon tea when we arrived that was quite reasonably priced,I would say the drinks prices were about average for a venue of this type and judging by the amount of wine on peoples tables they weren't put off by the price.
All in all we had thoroughly enjoyable time and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank twinkleyesManchester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
The Crown Hotel
#4 of 5 in Nantwich
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Alsager Manor House Hotel
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!