“Oh dear Alvaston, not a good impression.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel

Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Kent
“Oh dear Alvaston, not a good impression.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We live on the south coast of the UK so am sure you appreciate that the journey to Alvaston Hall was a long haul. Really wish I could say it was worth it. We are a fairly large group who have enjoyed many Warner for Adults holidays over the past 25 years. This was the first time we travelled with a tour operator as the idea of travelling by coach was very acceptable. Indeed, no problems there at all. To be fair to Alvaston Hall the rooms we were given were in the brand new 'Fairways' accommodation and were, on the whole, first class but we were definitely part of a very large 'snagging party' given the number of coaches there (6!!). As an example, our group organiser was given a beautiful contemporary suite. Sitting room with sofa,armchairs,flat screen TV on the wall and a lovely modern fire for the winter. Huge bedroom and a super bathroom that would have been large enough fir a party if you were so inclined. Big double walk-in shower and a roll-top bath. Great you think until you turn on the taps....no hot water!! Informed by maintenance that it was to comply with the dreaded Health & Safety. How come then that our bathroom gave us piping hot water which required the usual adjustments ? Having read the reviews from folk who were there at the same time, I can only endorse their comments. Walk from room to public areas required getting into training for the London Marathon and I am lucky enough to be pretty mobile! Service in the dining room was dire. NOT the fault of our waitress to who was absolutely run off her feet but very understaffed and undertrained. Food was cold (not intentional) most of the time and constantly running out. We made our grievances known and, again, must agree with other reviewers that the staff were very gracious and tried their best to put things right but were definitely overwhelmed by the volume of guests. Lastly, the entertainment. As I stated at the beginning of my review, have been a Warner fan for years and have seen many of the entertainment offerings over the years. The young people in the ents. teams do work so hard and try their very best and I really wish I could be kind and say that they were good. Sadly, not. May I also point out that, although I fully understand that many people enjoy sequence and ballroom dancing there are also many of us who enjoy modern dancing and music. There was little or no opportunity on some evenings and maybe, if we were lucky, 20 minutes on others. There seemed to be a great deal of time spent on really silly games. In fact, I thought we had all ended up in Playschool! Not funny and a tad insulting. I am so sorry that I can't be more positive. My two stars are for the new rooms and a group of staff who are trying so so hard but, at the moment, are not succeeding. Sorry.!!!

Room Tip: Whichever floor you are on in Fairways, if you have mobility difficulties ask for the higher numbere...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JoybellKent
Alvaston W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank you for your review on Alvaston Hall. I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your break. A lot of the issues you have raised, we have taken on board and can say that we are improving. We now have more staff available in the restaurant and dispite a few 'teething problems' I feel that we have improved greatly. We do try and aim our activities to guests of various ages staying here and we do have a new entertainment manager who has proved to be a real treat according to guests who have stayed with us recently. I do hope that you will come back to Alvaston Hall soon and should you choose so, if you would like a room closer to the facilities, I am sure we can try our best to accommodate you. I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed for 7 nights in a signature room, which was ok but a bit smaller than other signature rooms we have had in other hotels. The restaurant and food was fine, although the service was not so good if ordering from the menu. The singing by the resident band was awful, so awful that it was funny. The spa was very good and I had some nice treatments at a reasonable price. It was a pleasant stay and we did enjoy it very much, the bed was big and comfortable, there was plenty of good quality food which is included in the price. We really used it as a base to explore the area and probably wouldn't go again simply because we didn't really enjoy the entertainment and would have liked a bit more freedom with regard to meal times.

2 Thank west1essex
Alvaston W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We really appreciate your constructive feedback and I will pass on your comments to the departments concerned.

We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay and hope that you will return to stay with us at Alvaston Hall.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Alvaston Hall Hotel
While travelling home from the Warner Norton Grange complex IOW in March our coach driver and representative of the tour company Wilfreda Beehive, announced the opening of Alvaston Hall after a full refurbishment with a spend of £13m advertising a 5 day tour on 9th June. Returning home we promptly booked our seats. The morning of the holiday arrived, taxi dropped us off nice and early only for the minibus taking us to the Sheffield interchange to appear nearly 20 minutes late. On arrival at Sheffield there was no chance of a comfort break before the journey to Nantwich. On travelling to Alvaston the information was that on reaching the hotel the tables would all have been allocated, we were kept waiting for 10 minutes on the coach for a member of the staff to give a quick talk and hand out the keys. Walking into the new Grove cabaret diner was an excellent surprise better than ever imagined, but the staff seemed mesmerised by the sheer volume of guests. We couldn't be shown to the allocated table because there was to be a meet the managers session, finally we were shown to the table, cramped in a corner. Two tables were duly removed to make room for ourselves and other guests. Still not happy, but that's life. Walked through the Fountain Bar to find our room was adjacent and on the ground floor, and that's when the smile disappeared. The room had not been refurbished and was very tired, the shower consisted of a shower tray with a curtain around it, it looked like a bird bath. There was also another door opposite the shower leading on the corridor, sometimes it appeared others were in the bedroom with voices trailing underneath the door! After making our selection from an excellent and varied dinner menu, we continued with wonderful entertainment, respect, typical Warner splendour. Back to our room its now well past midnight feeling weary and looking forward to a good nights sleep, windows were flung wide open as it was like an oven, slept on top of the duvet no air and very humid. Eventually got off to sleep don't know what time? Woke up very early to the sound of a lorry reversing past followed later by contractors arriving slamming doors and raised voices had to shut the window, virtually suffocating. Going outside before breakfast only to find our room situated near the kitchen and facing directly onto the goods in/out route being a single track lorries had to reverse quite a distance. We were informed that Alvaston was fully booked with no spare capacity. I later saw our coach driver coming out of the The Fairways, also with the allocation of a ringside seat in the Grove diner, am I annoyed, you bet. Wilfreda staff appeared to be better treated than some of the passengers, whilst also noting 3 other coach drivers sat together on the outer perimeter of the Grove, no special favours there then! Putting aside that experience Alvaston Hall is very smart and has been expertly developed. I just so wish all the interior refurbishment had been completed before even thinking of letting the rooms 60 to 66. I was shown a room in the Limes by one of our new friends, absolutely spot on, plenty of room with plentiful ventilation. Oh and a nice large shower.
Lastly an apology to the Senior Warner representative whom I met quite by accident while touring the grounds, he was unfortunate enough to inquire about our stay only to hear of disappointment and dismay, we were offered another room but with one night remaining didn't really want the hassle of packing and moving. Said to the gentleman that having made my grievances known, that would be the last of it. But on arriving home and on reflection I just couldn't let it rest. I've now damaged my integrity and that is going to hurt for some time!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank gatedinter
Alvaston W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for your review of Alvaston Hall. I am sorry to hear that your room was not to the standard that you expected, we appreciate that the room that you stayed has not been updated in the last year however we do try and accommodate everybody. Seeing from your review that you traveled on a coach, usually the coach company allocates rooms off ourselves but we always try to find an alternative for anybody who is unhappy. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our varied menu however your seating was not how you expected. Again, we try our best to accommodate everybody and should you choose to stay with us again, I assure you that if you would like to request a certain area in the Grove Ballroom, our restaurant team will be more than happy to arrange that for you. In relation to the noise you were hearing from your room, with our new Fairways building doubling the amount of guests that we now cater for, we do have more deliveries and staff on site however we have recently set a standard of time limits which has improved the noise in the area you have mentioned. Overall, I hope you decide to come to Alvaston Hall again soon and we do welcome you as an individual guest instead of a coach party member if you would wish to.
Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have returned today from a two night break in the new accommodation opened this week called The Fairways at Alvaston Hall. We have never had this type of break before we are 4 ladies ranged in ages from 52 to 76. We usually stay in self catering cottages or in a small select boutique hotel. We always book a double room for single occupancy and as one of us has limited mobility and three can't climb into a bath to have a shower we needed four rooms with walk in showers and easy access e.g. Ground floor or lift, all explained to the operator I booked with. We booked four ground floor rooms in the new fairways building.
Firstly I want to say that the new Signature rooms are lovely spacious, well heated/ventilated, lovely bathrooms although you have a small step into the shower, it is not on the flat, there are support bars and non slip mats. The bathrooms are also quite spacious. We had it appeared on our bill paid for patios. I couldn't actually call them patios as people constantly walked on them to walk around the building to get to the spa centre and to view the new building. They had garden chairs and a table on but it was really the path around the building which compromised your privacy both on the patio and in your room. The rooms with balconies above would provide more privacy if this is an issue for you. The rooms were definitely not snag checked one room was dusty with sawdust and plaster on the floor but worst of all a dirty toilet. One room had curtains that would not close across the window and being on the ground floor this wasn't an option so at midnight the duty manager was called to help. The curtains were actually made and hung wrong and although we managed to get them fixed enough to give privacy they didn't change them. They were only one and a half widths wide rather than the two and half widths they should have been. One room door frame had been quite damaged and filled with filler but then that showed on a lot of the door frames along the corridor maybe they will repaint them in the winter. Worst of all the rooms were at the farthest end of the building far away from the main building. Luckily it was sunny most of the time and by exiting via the fire escape we could reduce the walk for our limited mobility friend. Nevertheless we were exhausted by the time we got to the main building so make sure you are fit and able as there is lots of walking.
The carparks were badly planned with no cross paths and very limited disabled spaces only nine in use near the main building. So any walk to the car was a hike. Not all the spaces were in use despite the hotel being full according to the staff.
The cabaret diner is beautiful and new but crowded and understaffed. We were worried that the staff serving us were confused and like rabbits caught in headlights. We waited for food, we waited excessively long periods of time for drinks even if we went to the bar and ordered them ourselves. One drink order was lost completely and we waited an hour and a half for our change because the till broke down. That said the majority of staff were wonderful. They were always courteous, helpful and friendly. They simply had too much to do and it appeared had not had enough time to be trained or they had just started. They were mostly very young and struggled with the volume of work especially the distance from the new tables to the kitchen. Which leads me to the other problem. The food was good not bad at all considering the volume of residents. But the salad bar was limited and the chef advised me he had not sampled the sauce he was about to serve me as he hadn't had time!!! But the major problem was the distance from our table to the food. Staff were very helpful carrying plates if needed but you felt like you had really earned your food when you finally sat down to eat. Obviously we could have just ordered from the menu and had it served but we feared how long it would be between courses considering the serving problems. You are allocated your table on arrival and again no allowance was made for mobility problems. But a simple request got it changed however we were not happy that the check in process included us queuing twice on check in including this once for our table to be allocated. it made it feel a bit like Butlins in the 80's especially when it was all done with paper and felt tip pens, most restaurants have electronic allocation systems now.
The entertainment was better than expected especially Bernie Flint a very entertaining man.
We liked the cases being taken to our rooms but didn't like the fact our bedroom doors were all left open so they could have been stolen and one of the rooms had the patio door open as well. Thankfully all our valuables were still insitu.
The cafe area was chaotic on Friday afternoon when we arrived orders were lost or never arrived, they ran out of food and our waiter was like Manuel shouting at us at our table. But we laughed so much it made us cry we thought we were at a remake of Fawlty towers. We laugh at most things except about the disabled toilet which is permanently locked you have to get the key from reception, Why?
We spoke to lots of people who stay there many times and for many years some loved the changes some hated them.
We think our overall impression was marred by our first impression both at reception going from one desk to another room to activate keys and then queuing for the dining table; the cafe area when we arrived; our rooms being a hike away and the crowdedness and small tables in the cabaret diner lounge. We won't be going again although we haven't laughed so much in a long time. The days of holiday camps or pseudo cruising is not for us but we understand why so many people like it. Good luck to all the new young staff and thank you to all the staff who were friendly helpful and courteous to us.

Room Tip: Rooms 408/410 a long walk from the main building but if you need ground floor they have a good view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Grengee
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at Alvaston Hall.

Please accept my sincere apologies regarding your feedback following your visit and I appreciate there were some slight snagging issues with the new rooms which were quickly addressed.

We always listen to honest and constructive feedback from our guests even when it is uncomfortable to hear and I am also sorry that we didn’t get the opportunity to discuss your comments personally whilst onsite as we pride ourselves in being able to meet all our needs.

I genuinely am sorry that this was your experience at Alvaston hall as it is most certainly not the feedback we are used to receiving.
Although I personally feel that some of your comments are a little unfair I do appreciate that this is your review of your experience and will be discussing your comments with all departments as some of your points clearly do need addressing.

Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards

Chesterfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was our third visit to Alveston Hall hotel the last time we visited was six years ago . The hotel has changed for the better the dining room and the fountain bars and the grounds outside gardens and water features we where very impressed with. When we arrived the staff was waiting our cases where taken straight to our room. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room was lovely it was in the old house on the first floor just one problem no lift in the main house this is our only gripe no one told me when I rang the hotel to book the hotel with my husband suffering from breathing problems he did have a few problems. Next time we book one of the new rooms. The food was very good enjoyed our breakfast and evening meals the waitress we had did very well she had only worked there a week she worked very hard. Will booked another holiday at alveston hopeful later in the year.

Room Tip: If you have a mobility problem don't book in the old house
1 Thank Carol B

I will pass on all your lovely comments to the team.
Please contact the hotel directly to book your next break with us on 01270 624341 and we will ensure you have a room that meets your requirements.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have just spent 4 days here, our first experience at a Warner Hotel. Travelled with Majestic coach trips from Plymouth. When we arrived the staff were waiting for us outside the main entrance which made us feel very important. Our room pack was given to us so no queuing inside the reception our cases were taken from the coach by the staff so we were free to find our room and look around. The hotel had just opened that day to their new extention. Wow!!! Just by luck my daughter and I were given one of the new suites, it was fantastic. A large lounge with TV, fire, fridge and coffee making. Doors leading out to the balcony which looked our onto an excellent garden with large ponds with fountains with coloured lighting at night. Into the large bedroom twin beds, so comfy... wall TV, hairdryer and plenty of good lighting and storage. Also a very large bathroom free standing bath, separate shower heated towel rail. The best ever. The food was of excellent choice, salads, roast or from the menu. Breakfast again good choice. The staff were also excellent very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them you really felt they were there to help. We did try the sports Archery,shooting,swimming badmington, just to mention some, all great fun either on your own or as part of the entertainment. Well done to everyone and thank you so much.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JanetandChris24
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a lovely review.
We are so pleased that you had such a good stay with us at Alvaston Hall.
The new suites in the Fairways are fabulous and we am so glad that you feel the same as we do.

Whitefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was our third Warner break and definitely the best stay. Although our room was at very top with no lift which would spoil manor hall structure we had help with our cases and we were fit to cope. The room and bathroom was perfect in every way and the lounges and bars were excellent and reception and porterage couldn't have been more helpful, friendly and efficient. The table we had for eating gave us a chance to keep our seat with a good view of the excellent entertainment with great dancing and singiing ,quizzes and a very humorous fun compere. The food was varied and gave us a choice at dinner of carvery or table service. We also enjoyed the swimming pool though it involved a slightly circuitous walk. The location of hall is good for all Cheshire attactions plus Stafforshire and Manchester.. One minus was Jacuzzi not working.

Room Tip: ask for a 1st floor room to save your legs
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Gary Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
The Cheshire Cat
The Cheshire Cat
#5 of 5 in Nantwich
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!