The Cheshire Cat
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Crown Hotel(Nantwich)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubwet roomblack lionmews apartmentsaturday nightlarge portionsbirthday mealold buildinga lovely stayweekendwallpaperdjcaljoewaitressrevellersstarters
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I visited here at the weekend, the food was excellent, the service was brilliant and the beer is great. The atmosphere was lovely, there was piano music coming from the grand piano on the mezzanine level, what a fantastic touch! This place is a credit to this beautiful town. See you soon!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
TheCatAtNantwich, Director at The Cheshire Cat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your fab review! Sundays are very much about being able to relax in our lovely surroundings with some fab food, drink and music. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

First of all to be fair the rooms are fine, bordering on 4 star standard. I had one of the annexe rooms which are divided into groups of 2 and are fine. My main problem is check in. When I arrived Wednesday night there was quite a queue, there is a small sign saying accommodation check in but it's effectively the bar. So I waited my turn amongst the others who were getting drinks. After easily 10 minutes it was my turn to be served, I asked if I could check in and was told and get this "stand over there by the flower pot and I'll get to you"...!! So I waited by the flower pot like a muppet for at least another 10 minutes before I was honoured to be checked in. That process consisted of giving me rathe key and pointing vaguely in the right direction. No info re anything else like breakfast. This unique method of check in ruined it for me. Never again thank you

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank theposh

Very sorry to see your check-in with us was not up to scratch. I have established it was a junior member of staff who was your first point and contact and whilst they assure me they certainly didn't intend to come across as rude they can remember asking you to stand to one side whilst they fetched a senior member of staff to carry out the check-in process. I have carried out additional training with this team member and other staff to try and ensure they are better placed to greet our valued hotel guests. On a positive note, I'm pleased to see you were happy with your room and your stay and do hope that you will re-consider booking with us again.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This us a great choice to stay at and eat there too. Very nice modern rooms. The Wifi does need improving in the annex and the TV reception was flakey.

The meals were excellent and service brilliant in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Get a room in main building to get decent TV reception and Wifi
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KimBright2014

Thank you for your fair and honest feedback. We're happy to see you valued our central location and found the rooms and food fantastic. I will ensure your comments are fed back to the team.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked this lovely looking hotel for an overnight stay on a Saturday. The pub/inn looks lovely from the outside, but upon going in we realised our expectations were somewhat divergent from reality. I wish I had read all of the reviews here on Trip Advisor, rather than merely taking a quick glance at the average rating a couple of the latest reviews. This place is clearly a tale of two hotels.

This is a pub, with some hotel rooms located in a modern annex at the back, separated from the pub by an outdoor drinking area. There was a stag do in the bar, which was already - at 7pm - very lively.

To be fair the website does say, "At weekends you can expect a lively bar and bustling restaurant – with our Resident DJ playing hits from every era until 1.15am." But please be warned - this means you will not be able to get to sleep until 2 or 3am. Until 1.30am, you will be kept up by the noise from the bar (loud music, talking, laughing, dancing etc) and then later by the activities in the club next door. Yes, your hotel room will be between a "lively" bar and a club. The result is no sleep, unless you happen to have ear plugs with you. We arrived on a Saturday after a 4 hour drive, and a full day the next day, so we weren't happy with the prospect of no sleep. At 12.30am, I squeezed through the crowds in the pub to get to the bar to complain to staff, but merely had the above extract from the website quoted back to me. The next morning, we missed our breakfast as we opted to lie in to make up for lost sleep. Upon checkout I wasn't even asked how our stay had been.

If you come during the week I imagine you will have a perfectly lovely stay. Staff were friendly on arrival and our room was ok, though very small. No bath but a walk in shower. Not bad for the price. However, if you go at the weekend, you will have to make do with little sleep. The warning on the website is far too subtle, if not downright misleading.

I will not be staying here again and, sadly, I am compelled to strongly discourage anyone from staying here at a weekend - unless you're one of the people partying in the bar.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Yorkie89

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. As you state, we do try to make it as clear as possible to visitors that we are a town centre bar and restaurant with a small amount of rooms in a separate annexe to the rear of the building. As written on our website and in our marketing literature, at weekends we have a DJ who plays until 1.15am at which point customers still within the building at this time are asked to leave quickly and quietly. Our smaller rooms (2,4,7,9) side on to the courtyard and are therefore subject to more noise, whereas our larger rooms (1,3,5,6,8,10 and The Octagon) are to the opposite side and quieter. Our central location, and the reason many customers book with us, does also mean that we are surrounded by shops, bars, restaurants and clubs and at weekends this means there is noise in the town generally which is very difficult for us to control.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Amazing Value Burgers!!
could not ever get bored of these!! definitely recommend.
central location - parking space - business meetings friendly - quiet atmosphere - friendly staff - good value for money

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments, our burgers are becoming renowned across the country! They really are so flavoursome and great value for money as you say. We look forward to seeing you again so you can try some more!