“Excellent boat trip and afternoon tea”
Review of Anderton Boat Lift

Anderton Boat Lift
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Anderton Boat Lift was built by Edwin Clark in 1875 to lift cargo boats the 50 feet from the River Weaver to the Trent & Mersey Canal. Like all great things, the concept is simple: two huge water tanks, each with watertight sealable doors carry boats up and down. The original counter-balanced system was replaced in 1908 by electric operation, but the lift now works hydraulically again. No description can adequately convey the sheer scale of this engineering feat. The lift worked until 1983 when serious deterioration of the structure was discovered. Some £7m was raised to fund the restoration, which was completed in 2002. The completion of the restoration was followed by the opening of an Operations Centre in 2003. This offers interactive displays, educational facilities, a gift shop and a coffee shop. From April to October you can enjoy boat trips through the lift and along the River Weaver Navigation.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went on the short boat trip along the river Weaver from the boat lift. A short boat trip with excellent commentary was followed by afternoon tea in the marquee. There were plenty of cakes and a scone and a few sandwiches. Plenty of tea and coffee served by very friendly staff. Highly recommended afternoon and excellent value for money.

Date of experience: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)
All reviews
"the river"
in 265 reviews
"victorian engineering"
in 66 reviews
"well worth a visit"
in 102 reviews
"amazing piece of engineering"
in 23 reviews
in 15 reviews
"plenty of parking"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It was a repeat visit for myself and my husband as we had visied years ago and we weren't disappointed. The last time we visited was in summer but it was very busy and so this I suggested we go in me mid autumn, and I must say it was much easier to get around and so we stayed for 4 hours. I am a photographer and because there were fewer people around I could click to my hearts content. To me, it serves to remind us of represent the amazing engineers in history who designed and built such amazing structures as this and to see they are still standing proudly in this the 21 century but were built in the industrial revolution of over 100 hundred years ago and hoping they are still standing for many many years to come. If we had arrived in the morning we could have walked along side the river or maybe walk through the parkland, we shall save that visit until spring next year. Being a photographer I usually either landscapes/seascapes, wildlife, animal portraits however this spot gave me the opportunity to try something different and I wasn't disapointed, in fact I was delighted. I use only natural light and was so happy to see the beautiful light while shooting in the "golden hour" before I packed up to leave. As we waited for the "golden hour" we enjoyed a coffee and a slice of chocolate cake, which was really good and then we had a wander around the shop. One thing I noticed was the children's playground and the children playing there look as if they were having a great time.

Summarising we both really enjoyed our second visit, there were fewer people around, probably due to the time of the year, the playground was great for children, the cafe was lovely and our cake and coffee was really good and if like me you are a photographer
it's good too. P.S. I shall upload a photo just as soon as I've edited them.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Anderton Boat lift is somewhere I’ve been wanting to visit for ages. There is always the risk that it won’t live up to expectation. Not so here. It is a fascinating site. Entry to the exhibition centre and the grounds is free. There is a short video and a lot of information about the boat lift and its restoration, as well as activities for the children. It is worth taking time to read this before joining a boat trip.

You can also watch the person controlling boat movement up and down the lift.

The lift itself is an amazing construction, designed to lift boats the 50’ from the River Weaver to the canal above. It is still very much a working lift and we were surprised by the number of canal boats using the lift while we were there.

it is possible to book a boat trip up on the lift. The short trip takes about 30 minutes and there is a helpful commentary explaining the history behind the lift and how it works. The boat goes up so smoothly you are not aware of movement until you look out and see the iron framework moving down against the windows. Longer trips also include a trip along the River Weaver.

There is a small shop and very good cafe attached to the museum.

This was a very well worth while day and fully lived up to expectation and was enjoyed by all three generations of the family

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank EESW1
Reviewed 11 November 2018

We attended the Remembrance Commemoration of 100 years since the end of WW1 today. Thousands of poppy petals allowed to fall from the top of the lift - also known as The Cathedral of The Canals. Two beautifully presented historic boats at the foot of the lift with poppt petals falling on them and a historic steam boat on the river to toot its whistle to signify the end of the silence. A fantastic service to remember the boatmen who gave the ultimate sacrifice but whose names do not appear on any memorial in any town or village because of the itinierant lifestyle required to operate the boats. We will remember them. Thank you to Canal & River Trust for making this a very special commemoration