Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
A bucket list item ticked

As an avid industrial heritage fan, the Boat lift is up there at the top of my list. I took the... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
602JMT
Cheshire, United Kingdom
via mobile
Anderton open day

Great place. Friendly staff. Sun was shining. Lovely walks nearby. Great cafe too. Lots of chances... read more

Reviewed 5 weeks ago
Purplepeace
via mobile

1,075 results
All reviews the river victorian engineering well worth a visit amazing piece of engineering falkirk wheel working order trent mersey canal gift shop country park car park industrial heritage nice cafe information centre small museum interesting visit sunny day plenty of parking
Reviewed 16 December 2018 via mobile

An attraction to please a wide age group. Interactive displays, film of the history of the lift, a children's playground and,for an aadditional charge boat trips along the River Weaver.
There is a cafe if you should feel peckish and close by is the Stanley Arms which serves more substantial meals at reasonable prices. Combined with a trip to the nearby Lion Salt Works and/or the salt museum in Northwich a full day out with the family can be enjoyed

Date of experience: October 2018
onetwothreefourfives, Manager at Anderton Boat Lift, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you so much for the 4 star rating and review and really pleased that you had a good time hope that you can visit us again.

Reviewed 9 December 2018 via mobile

Drove from the South Lakes for the Santa Cruise and it was so worth it! Great food in the cafe, staff were fantastic and the Santa Cruise was wonderful! Lovely Father Christmas and great, age-appropriate gift. Great visitors centre for all ages and Christmas crafys. Highly recommended!

Date of experience: December 2018

Thank you so much for the review and the rating really pleased that you had a good time.

Reviewed 2 December 2018 via mobile

We spent an afternoon there and had a good time taken a walk on the trails around the area. We originally came to see the boat lift work but it is closed until next April. So we were going to take a boat ride but we needed to book it the day before because they are special cruises for Christmas. So we went on a great walk through the countryside and we got free parking because the pay stations were not working. Very nice day out. We will be back when the lift is open and enjoy the area again.

Date of experience: December 2018

Reviewed 30 November 2018

We went on the short boat trip along the river Weaver from the boat lift. A short boat trip with excellent commentary was followed by afternoon tea in the marquee. There were plenty of cakes and a scone and a few sandwiches. Plenty of tea and coffee served by very friendly staff. Highly recommended afternoon and excellent value for money.

Date of experience: November 2018

Reviewed 18 November 2018

It was a repeat visit for myself and my husband as we had visied years ago and we weren't disappointed. The last time we visited was in summer but it was very busy and so this I suggested we go in me mid autumn, and I must say it was much easier to get around and so we stayed for 4 hours. I am a photographer and because there were fewer people around I could click to my hearts content. To me, it serves to remind us of represent the amazing engineers in history who designed and built such amazing structures as this and to see they are still standing proudly in this the 21 century but were built in the industrial revolution of over 100 hundred years ago and hoping they are still standing for many many years to come. If we had arrived in the morning we could have walked along side the river or maybe walk through the parkland, we shall save that visit until spring next year. Being a photographer I usually either landscapes/seascapes, wildlife, animal portraits however this spot gave me the opportunity to try something different and I wasn't disapointed, in fact I was delighted. I use only natural light and was so happy to see the beautiful light while shooting in the "golden hour" before I packed up to leave. As we waited for the "golden hour" we enjoyed a coffee and a slice of chocolate cake, which was really good and then we had a wander around the shop. One thing I noticed was the children's playground and the children playing there look as if they were having a great time.

Summarising we both really enjoyed our second visit, there were fewer people around, probably due to the time of the year, the playground was great for children, the cafe was lovely and our cake and coffee was really good and if like me you are a photographer
it's good too. P.S. I shall upload a photo just as soon as I've edited them.

Date of experience: November 2018