“The perfect place for a romantic weekend away.”

Nunsmere Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oakmere
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We stayed there for over the Valentine's weekend and we couldn't have been treated any better. From the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The food is excellent, cooked to perfection, very well presented and tastes sublime; the dark chocolate creme brulee is too die for!!!! The staff are well trained and very polite - they really make you feel like a guest and not just someone staying at the hotel.
Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would definately recommend it too anyone planning a romantic weekend away.

Many thanks too Mark and the staff for a wonderful memorable weekend
Mr & Mrs Wardle

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrRWardle

Reviewed 9 February 2010

We stayed at the Nunsmere for one night at the end of December following a stay in Liverpool. Having read much about the hotel we were looking forward to some TLC after a busy night in Liverpool!

On arrival, we were greeted by the Receptionist who took us to our room - we were lucky to be upgraded to a junior suite overlooking the front of the hotel. Couldn't fault the room - comfortable and very quiet.

Dinner was excellent and the service received was superb. The restaurant manager was very friendly and looked after us well.

The General Manager was on duty that evening and was also very friendly and welcoming.

We would definitely return - hopefully in the summer months to enjoy the grounds and a glass of fizz on the terrace!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vickster1971
Reviewed 8 February 2010

My husband and I stayed at Nunsmere Hall on Saturday 30th January and what a fantastic stay we had. We were checked in by a very pleasant receptionist who was extremely efficient whilst also making time to chat to us – a very pleasant change in these days of corporate culture.

Our room - Magnolia - was superb and possibly one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in; very spacious and luxuriously appointed with an equally spacious bathroom, offering both a bath and separate shower cubicle. There did appear to be a problem with the water supply as we could only get tepid water from both the shower and the bath, however, this did not deter us and we were soon heading down to the restaurant for dinner.

We did mention to reception our problem with the hot water and the receptionist was most apologetic and immediately offered us an alternative room in which to shower.

Dinner in the Restaurant was outstanding. We opted for the 3 course menu at £29.50 per person. One or two dishes carried a surcharge however for the quality of the food this was still very reasonable. My husband chose Crab Ravioli in a Leek Soup and I opted for Chicken Liver and Foie Gras Parfait to start. For main course my husband had Partridge and I selected Venison followed by a selection of local cheese and my husband, having a sweet tooth, chose the Apple Tart served with Parsnip Ice Cream – a strange combination but having persuaded him to share with me I have to admit it was one of the nicest desserts I have tasted!

The staff couldn’t have been more helpful, they were very apologetic regarding the water problem which I understand was an isolated incident with a rogue boiler. This didn’t spoil our stay at all and we will definitely be returning in the very near future.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Myself and Clients Stayed at the hotel back in January, after a very very long day in the field and a freezing pheasant drive. We were cold and exhausted and it appeared like an oasis over the horizon especially after the bog fields of Stretton Hall.

The staff made us feel very welcome, and the food was delicious! Although, the chief declined the brace of pheasants we offered him as a tip (something about feathers all over his kitchen!)

Thank you for making us, the breeks, and the muddy wellingtons etc., feel very welcome.

Lorraine Hardman - Chadderton

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2010

We took a group of over 40 Institute of Directors members and their guests to the Nunsmere for an evening networking event. The location is terrific, near enough to the motorway network to make it an easy trip but secluded enough for that rural feel. The food and drink that the hotel very kindly sponsored for us was excellent and the service was unobtrusive, polite and helpful. I don't think any of our group stayed over, so I have no feedback on the quality of the bedrooms or other facilities. I would happily recommend it for similar events and imagine it would be good for a romantic getaway too.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Nickrobcoach
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Having just stayed at this hotel, both my wife and I came away disappointed. The hotel and grounds are lovely. The initial impression on arriving was really good. Check in was a little slow, and when we were seen, the person did seem preoccupied with other things, although in fairness was very polite and showed us to our room.

The room Camellia was really nice, although quite cold. We tried to turn up the heating, but this did not make any differenece. The bathrobes supplied were excellent and did help warm us up. On having a shower before our meal, we found that there was no hot water and you could only stay in it for seconds to wash and get out as quickly as possible.

The bar was pleasant and service reasonably good, however the food was a real disappointment. I had read numerous reviews on trip advisor and this hotel received generally very high reviews. From recall I think that over half of the dishes had surcharges. Scallpos were £8 and even crab ravioli in soup had a surcharge. It was not that the general menu was expensive, on face value it seemed very reasonable. However, out of the 4 dishes we had all had a surcharge, and to be honest in most restaurants the only items I would have expected to have a surcharge would have been the scallops.

The scallops were nice, but no more than that, and to charge an extra £8 was really pushing it. Add on the 12.5% service charge and even more so.

We were asked if our starters were okay, and I tried to say they were a little bit disappointing, but the person who asked, was not interested in the answer anyway, so why ask. I fail to see the point of asking customers for feedback and not listen to the answer. If you are not interested, don't ask in the first place.

The seabass was the same, very bland and average, although in fairness to the hotel my wifes beef and apple crumble were excellent.

Next morning once again, no hot water for showers or bath and room cold.

On checking out I explained about the water, to be informed that they had a problem with the boiler. The lady on reception was very apologetic and did knock off the bottle of wine we had with our meal as a gesture,

This has the potential to be a lovely hotel for a short break, but it definatetly felt under staffed and food was a very mixed bag. Also, rather than having all of these surcharges, just put the price of your food up. It was not as if the 2 or 3 course rate was expensive, but if you go there for food, do not automatically expect Michelin standards or you may be very disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Not first rate but close to it. Delightful setting moderately good food and pleasant staff.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Jannerbloke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakmere
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 4 in Tarporley
4 mi away
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Nunsmere Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!