“Beautiful building, good plate of food, poor value”
Review of The Old Hall

The Old Hall
Ranked #14 of 81 Restaurants in Sandbach
Price range: US$9 - US$24
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a stunning place, sympathetically restored, a great talking point for my visitors from Europe. The food was fine. Service was pretty good and the food came correct and promptly.

But £12.95 for fish and chips? Other dishes on the menu are similarly overpriced in my opinion. I could recommend half a dozen places to go with fish and chips as good as this ranging from almost half to a third less than here.

If money was no object I would recommend. But it is, so I don't.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Having lived in the area for a large part of my life & seen this 17th century timber framed building
slowly deteriorating into a semi derelict building, I was really pleased when I heard the news
that it was to be restored. Even more when I learned that it had been bought by the Brunning and Price group , who specialise in buying old run down pub/ restaurants & transforming them into
an upmarket place to dine & relax in outstanding setting.. When after a long & obviously expensive,
almost total makeover, I eventually visited for a meal I was totally blown away. The sheer quality
of the renovation was staggering and the service and variety and quality of the food was, as I have come to expect of this pub group,was here in all it's usual high standards. For a treat or just a
lovely meal and experience, I recommend that you give it a try

3  Thank freddy37499507
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I booked the private dining room for 11 and it was also the day of the Sandbach transport festival. The sun was shining, Foden's brass band was entertaining us on the car park and we had a birds' eye view from the first floor dining room. We enjoyed the undivided attention of Lucy for whom nothing was too much trouble. The food was appreciated by everyone without exception and the whole afternoon was just fantastic. I can't thank the Old Hall staff enough for making it such a special occasion and wouldn't hesitate to book the private dining room again. It was intimate and the perfect size for the party. I was very pleasantly surprised when I paid the bill. What's not to like? Would highly recommend!

3  Thank Winky21
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I'll start with the positives: the building is stunning, the renovations in 2011 very well done, the ladies toilets are absolutely beautiful and our waitress, Nikki, was charming, helpful, considerate and dedicated.

The last time I came to the Old Hall was last year and my meal was very average. Recent reviews have looked great so I thought I'd give it a go again.

They had space for a last minute booking for Sunday lunch, which was great. We were running late and they swiftly and very helpfully changed our reservation time. All a great start!

We arrived and the manager gave us some menus and pointed to one end of the restaurant and told us our table was through the archway, round the corner and the second one. They were busy but still this felt impersonal and not very professional. Then when we got to the table there was a strong smell of something artificial and I knew it would distract me from the food and give me a bit of a headache. Maybe a new carpet? We told them that we'd like to move and they looked surprised at the reason and said ok, offering us another table elsewhere.

Our starter of the charcuterie board was superb: even at £15.95 it was great value for two people to share and the portion was fantastic. The meats were delicious, the hummus superb, the pate lovely and the pickles and onions made excellent accompaniments. Such a great start to the meal!

Then our mains arrived and I was totally reminded of my former meal. The duck breast was overcooked, tough, the plate very poorly presented with only a few vegetables and the gravy not at all as described. The satay beef salad had large pieces of battered beef that looked unappealing and tasted totally bland, whilst the accompanying salad was nicely spicy and had some good flavours.

Our waitress was absolutely charming and visibly upset that we hadn't enjoyed our mains very much. The manager, who I commented to about our meals listened to my happiness with the starter but ignored my comments on the mains.

We were in a rush so I hadn't returned either meal. If we'd had more time and I'd felt more optimistic that another meal would have tasted better then I'd have returned both of our mains.

The building and our starer were very good, whilst the mains and management were poor; hence the average review.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Been past this place a few times so thought i would give it a try. What a disappointment, whilst the decor and the service were really good, the food was terrible and overpriced. Overheard another diner commenting that it was crap too. Maybe we caught it on an off night but for those prices expected better.