“Friendly staff but shabby hotel”

Chimney House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandbach
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I hate to leave a bad review as they are doing things to make this hotel better, little by little. But there was damp in the corridors, paint falling off, stains on the chairs and the mattress was just uncomfortable. However, from the outside it looks lovely and they really could do so much with this place, the staff were welcoming, kind and friendly and did tell us that the hotel is gradually being renovated. Im sure the more expensive rooms were better than ours, as we just needed a place to crash for one night, so if you do stay here, id upgrade for now if i were you.

Room Tip: Go for a more expensive room, ask the staff which are the best ones.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GoatasticUK
Steve G, General Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Goatastic,

thanks for adding your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the hotel. I don't consider your review a bad one, and it is certainly helpful in may ways. The most important thing was that you found our people to be welcoming, kind and friendly, something we continue to work hard on. Also, the fact that you mention little by little improvements encourages me that we are succeeding in making the overall guest experience better.

However, I was of course, concerned about the comments you made about poor maintenance and uncomfortable mattress, as these are issues we try to be on top of on a daily basis. If you pick up this response via an email link, perhaps you could email your surname and date of stay to me and I will check the mattress in the bedroom you occupied. My email is steve.guttridge@licensedsolutions.co.uk

In terms of upgrading on a visit to Chimney House, here's my managers' tip - ask us! Sometimes if we are not full we can upgrade without charge, and especially so for regular customers. Thanks again for your feedback,

Best regards,

Steve

There are newer reviews for Chimney House Hotel

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I've used the Chimney House on a number of occasions for meetings and overnight stays when visiting clients in Sandbach. I stayed here again recently and on the whole found everything to meet my expectations.
The hotel is less than a mile from jct 17 on the M6 and set in its own lovely grounds, on arrival I was greeted by a very polite, professional and friendly receptionist who explained everything I needed to know about the hotel perfectly.
My room was a good size, the decor is a little tired but the room and bathroom were perfectly clean. The bed was large and very comfortable, the pillows were excellent adding to a great nights sleep

My only criticism would be that breakfast at £9.50 is overpriced with little choice, typical buffet style, for the cost a choice of eggs would be good and cooked to order would be better.
Needs a lick of paint, but the excellent staff more than compensate for it's tired feel
8/10 good value, convenient location

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank AndyJ1965
Steve G, General Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Andy, thanks so much for your kind comments after your recent stay. We've been working very hard over the last few months to create an environment where customers feel welcomed and where the friendliness of the team shine through, so I'm glad you noticed it!

Just in response to your feedback about breakfast, fried eggs are displayed on the buffet but if you want poached or scrambled on your next visit just ask your waitress and the chef will cook to order for you.

Our maintenance team are now engaged on a repainting programme, refreshing corridors and public areas. They appreciated your praise for the gardens!

Thanks again.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel as a result of a party being held there.
It was very good value for money at £70 for an executive room however the room furniture had seen much better days. The veneer on the bedside tables had peeled off completely in places and there were stains on the soft furnishings.
I can look past that given the price and the size of room I had.
The major problem was the shower. I had travelled 7 hours to get to this hotel and was looking forward to a shower before the party commenced however I was extremely disappointed. The water pressure was woeful. It was barely enough to get yourself wet and the temperature was just about hot enough.
The next morning thinking that the shower would be better I tried again. This time the water pressure was good. I thought things had looked up however the water was freezing cold. It stayed that way for about 5 minutes until it warmed up enough to have at least a wash of some sorts. I was not impressed as I had the return journey to make.
The bed in the rom was 2 singles zipped together. It was very good as long as you were in the centre of the respective single. Not so good in the middle over the zip.
Breakfast was pleasant. It was a buffet style. Not a huge choice but what was present was very cooked and plenty of it. This did not disappoint.
I decided to mention the shower on leaving. The female member of staff on the desk wasn't interested at all. She stated she didn't know why the pressure was down and she would get someone to look at it (too late for me of course but perhaps I should have said something the night before) but when I mentioned the temperature she said it was because we had an end room and it takes a while for the water to reach it. I pointed out that I wouldn't know this as a customer and maybe that could have been stated when I was given the room but I was met with an apology which wasn't sincere at all. I felt that she didn't care.
I wasn't after anything, after all the price was not high. I just wanted done sincerity and a willingness to act.
Overall the hotel was nice enough. It's one of those places that could be really nice if someone put love and care into it.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank ChargingMonkey
Luke K, Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear CM. Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback after your recent stay.

I was pleased to hear your nice comments about some areas of our product and service, but I was sorry to hear you felt the receptionist showed disinterest when you brought the water pressure problem to our attention.

Under new management recently, we are listening to our customers, and we are working to improve all aspects of the customer experience. This includes improving water pressure to all bedrooms.

I hope you'll visit again and notice improvements. Thanks again for your helpful feedback.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I spent 2 nights here as a Base for business meeting in and around the area. This Hotel could have it all, as its a charming building with an Old World look. However although the basics were covered to maintain their 3 Stars the detail was not. Cold Bedroom on arrival, so I had to turn on the heating, light bulbs missing from the room and no explanation on how to access the WIFI sort of things.
In the restaurant, pleasant enough surroundings, but had to call someone just to get the menu, in other words I was never asked if I was ok etc., you just cannot avoid getting a mental picture of dying in your seat and no one would have noticed.
The food and wine was good and if you were the non complaining handy type like I am you can have a pleasant stay if you work at it.
The staff, I have to say are not unpleasant however they just do the basics they are not alert or they seem pre-occupied with other items...don't know what else to say here other than I not sure I would bring the family here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Albert1958

Dear Albert,

thanks for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay at the hotel. I have taken your comments on board and they will help me to improve the customer experience.

We are genuinely working at making the hotel a friendly place to stay and I hope you'll notice improvements on your next visit.

Many thanks

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have stayed at the chimney house a few times now and each stay has been a pleasure, warm friendly staff, excellent food, comfy clean rooms. I would most defiantly recommend a stay at this hotel whether on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rachel R

Dear Rachel

thanks so much for your nice feedback. It's good to know when we get it right so your comments are appreciated. Thanks again and see you next time!

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for the night on NYE and can't say that we were particular impressed.

We booked the hotel through hotels.com and it was £50 which I thought was quite good value for money considering we booked late and it was for New Years Eve.

The hotel was nice on first impression. Large car park, the woman on the reception desk when checking in was friendly and helpful and the hotel was clean. However out room was very cold even though the heating was on full. The windows at the hotel aren't double glazed so that is what caused the problem.

The shower in the room was also very poor. It took a long time to heat up and the water literally just dribbled out. Other than these problems the room was reasonable and worth the money.

When checking out today I was told I had charges for my room even though everything was paid for up front online. Since checking my bank I have seen that I have actually been charged twice by the hotel so I would recommend future customers to check their bank accounts before departure if they have used a third party booking agent to make sure they are not overcharged.

Not the best hotel I have stayed in but I have definitely stayed in worse! It's a nice enough hotel for the money. Just a shame about the problems we had.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank emcg3
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Lovely setting, but needs a bit of TLC. Says ring for room service, but no phone in room! Room smelt of smoke,even though big sign on door said No smoking! Plenty of parking space and just off M 6. Dead fly in window was not what you expect to find. Wall paper needs sticking back to wall.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Coaster21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandbach
De Vere Cranage Estate
#1 of 1 in Congleton
The Hunters Lodge
The Hunters Lodge
#3 of 9 in Crewe

Been to Chimney House Hotel? Share your experiences!