“Excellent Value for Money!”
Review of Windmill at Tabley

Windmill at Tabley
Windmill at Tabley
Ranked #1 of 1 Tabley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We visited the Blue Planet Aquarium (Shark Dive) at Ellesmere Port one day and the Trafford Centre the following day - both are within half an hour drive so ideal for an overnight stop over if you are in the area. Situated just of the M6 at junction 19 we booked two rooms, both were clean and reasonably well furnished although room 3 is a bit on the small size for a double room. Room 5 on the other hand was large in comparison. The food in the bar was very good and reasonably priced if you wanted stakes etc., then these were more expensive but not extortionate. Because of the close location to the motorway there was some traffic noise which diminished as the night went on, If in the area again we would have no issues in booking again.

Room Tip: Room 5 to the rear of the hotel, largge room and no traffic noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank steve m

Reviewed 20 October 2013

This could be a great little hotel and the staff do try very hard, but I couldn't help feeling that they could do so much better with a little bit of extra effort. It is a great location, with easy access to the motorways and Manchester airport and as we were a mixed group with different ages, the restaurant provided a wide range of choices for all tastes. But despite a no smoking policy, our room smelt of cigarette smoke when we came in and although the bathroom was beautiful (obviously newly refurbished) the carpets were tired, stained and fraying.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2013

after deciding to pick the closest hotel with food and drink to the m6 on our trip,we food this little jem.me and my wife stayed at the windmill for 4 days with our 2 children,while we did some sight seeing around cheshire, from us first ariving very late as it was a last minuite this,we were made very welcome, an all the staff were friendly service was great, and all the food we had was simple home cooking just done right, including the childrens meals,wich were free,and not the usual rubbish that they give to kids most places.thanks to all at the windmill we will definetly come again.

Room Tip: room 6 very good with bath and massive
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 679steve
Reviewed 2 September 2013

When we checked in we were advised that breakfast would be extra. I was surprised as I thought it was included and was told that the landlady had changed her policy recently, but because we had booked 2 months in advance we wouldn't have to pay extra. I thought this was very suspicious and looked at their website when we got home to see if I could find anything out. I think the website gives the impression that breakfast is included because 'Freshly cooked breakfast' is on a list of things provided in the description of the rooms. I always make sure I never book anywhere that just offers Continental breakfast because we like a cooked breakfast whilst on holiday. Also, I always find out the price in advance, if it states that it is extra, so that I can compare and decide whether I think the whole b and b price is reasonable before booking.So I think we were lucky, but would prefer the terms to be more transparent. Having said that, we had a very nice room. It was large, nicely furnished, with good facilities. My husband checked out the beer/menu whilst I got changed and we decided to eat in the pub to save another drive. Despite being a Friday night, it was not busy and we had a substantial meal. My husband's steak was pricey but enormous, and I asked for vegetables with my Cottage pie and was still served the salad garnish as well, which was totally inappropriate. I had read other reviews stating that the rooms were not noisy even though it was close to a main road and the M6. I think the road noise is excessive and triple glazing is necessary. Around midnight we were surprised by a man unlocking our door and walking in on us.What sort of security is that? Fortunately we were both in bed watching tv, but it was a bit of a shock. Similarly, at 8.15 on a Saturday morning, we were surprised that the windows were being cleaned, and relieved that the man had not climbed his ladder 10 minutes earlier before we were dressed! The choice of breakfast was basic and it was the first one I had not enjoyed all week.So some good bits, some not so good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We booked this very last minute, night before stay to break up our journey to wales. Good value for money room however breakfast extortionate price at just under £10 each for cereal and cooked breakfast ( we only paid this as no time to go elsewhere as on our way to a wedding. The pub was really lovely as was the room _ except the constant sound of the toilet filling with water (admittedly there were notices stating plumbing work underway). There was a small group of young lads in the room next to us who were very noisey and at 2am i had to go out to the car where i knew there was some earplugs packed in one of our bags (packed for following night of camping!). I was kept awake most of the night and finally settled at about 3am. Due to there being no reception or staff about (pub downstairs closed) there was no one for me to contact.
The road next to the pub was busy all night as a main road and traffic could be heard very easily from the room.
All in all the room and pub were lovely and i can only fault the noise which unfortunately ruined my stay. It was my husband and I first night away in 8 months from our toddler who sleeps poorly however i would definitely have got more sleep at home!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linz999
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My partner and I stayed in this hotel to attend a party locally. We arrived late afternoon and grabbed a drink outside in the sun. Nice first impression with a family atmosphere. Girls working behind the bar and checking us in were friendly and pleasant.
The room was nicely sized with a TV, comfortable bed, good sized mirror and tea tray.
We realised there wasn't an iron/ironing board but after ringing downstairs a girl brought one up straight away.
This is nothing to do with the hotel but because it was bank holiday the local taxi company charged us a fortune!
It was a fairly warm night which meant we kept the window open a bit which unfortunately meant there was a lot of traffic noise through the night (as the hotel is located right by the main road). Also was woken in the morning by some noisy people in the beer garden (don't know what they were doing in the beer garden at 9am..)
Breakfast was ok. Service for the breakfast was pretty poor. There seemed to be one man serving, cooking and working the bar/reception. No one else around, which meant that the service was too slow.
He also tried to charge us for the breakfast, but once I explained we had already paid he knocked it off.

Overall a nice place to stay for one night and perfect for what we needed. However, if I was going somewhere for the weekend and planned to spend more time in the hotel; I wouldn't choose here.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 14 August 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Windmill at Tabley? Share your experiences!