“Teething Problems? Great food though.”

The Nags Head at Haughton
Ranked #13 of 39 Restaurants in Tarporley
Price range: US$14 - US$26
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Nag's Head situated in the picturesque hamlet of Haughton, near Tarporley, has been standing since 1680, so its seen some history during its time.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We came with friends to this restaurant for Sunday lunch and was slightly disappointed that the menu I had read online wasn't available as I'd already chosen what I was having,

However what I had instead was great; they obviously have a more limited and traditional menu for Sunday lunchtimes and I have to sat, the roast beef was one of the best Sunday lunches I had ever had - the beef cut like butter, the vegetables were perfect. My starter of mussels was great but I had to ask for a bowl to put the mussel shells in.

Some of my companions were equally impressed with their meals albeit the starters came up at different times which wasn't really acceptable. The waiting stuff were lovely but when they said " sorry about that, this seems to happen every Sunday lunchtime" it made me wonder why they hadn't managed to rectify the situation in time.

We all had starters and main courses and were far too full for desserts.

The refurbishment of the Inn was very well done and inviting. They have kept the bowling green and the garden for seating areas were lovely.

I am looking forward to returning again in the future when hopefully they have overcome the busy Sunday lunchtime problem.

1  Thank SusanMcNally18
GM_RVI, General Manager at The Nags Head at Haughton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear SusanMcNally18,

Thank you for taking the time to review our pub. Due to the popular demand of roast dinners on a Sunday, we have a set menu. However, our main menu, accompanied with our specials menu is available Monday-Friday (12-2pm, 6-8:30pm) and all day Saturday,

We are delighted that it was one of the best Sunday lunches you've ever had. We really pride ourselves with our high quality Sunday roasts!

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We have taken on board your comments regarding staff training and we have recently put new structures in place. We hope everything will run smoother on your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This venue has been tasefully and elegantly refurbished both internally and externally. However, they still have work to do to improve the service and some dishes on the menu. This was our second visit, the first had some issues but was their first week of operation so we thought we would come again now teething troubles were sorted, mistake, there is still a lack of leadership and direction, poor support for the young serving staff, managers were not identifiable as they looked like they were customers! some of our party's food was cold and lacked flavour with burnt yorkshire puddings. After a gentle complaint about this and the poor selection of cheeses (no good unless you like bluse cheese and the brie was unavailable), we were still not approached by a supervisor. The young serving staff were very good and did their very best to rectify the problems but clearly need better guidance, support and training and in the absence of badges, no-one introduced themselves. Portion size of the cottage pie was small and the cauliflower soup tasted like mushroom flavoured cream, the roast cod was excellent though. We will go back again as it is very local to us and hope by then that this new venture for RBI meets with expectation.

1  Thank Pamela B
GM_RVI, General Manager at The Nags Head at Haughton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Pamela B,

Thank you for your kind comments about our recent refurbishment and our team.

We are currently restructuring and undergoing additional staff training to ensure that our customers experience a very high standard.

We are delighted that you will be returning, and we will ensure you are not disappointed on your next visit.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Went once told the kitchen couldn't cope so had to go to the Yewtree in Bunbury and had a great lunch. tried a couple of weeks later and because the experience was so poor wrote a letter directly to the manager as opposed to public shaming on TripAdvisor and a week later still no response from the manager so why not be another unhappy customer who has take to this web page to now publicly let everyone know how poor this place is. You will really have to up your game if you wish to succeed in an area with such massive competition.And up the portion size because you don't advertise as a weight watchers restaurant

1  Thank Trevor8225

Dear Trevor8225,

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at The Nags Head.

We are terribly sorry that your letter was not acknowledged and your experience was disappointing.

As this is a serious matter, we would like to discuss this further. Please contact us directly, either on 01829 260265, or manager@nagsheadhaughton.co.uk to try and rectify this.

Regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Booked a table for two as a special occasion on Friday 4th July - my retirement day!! What a disappointment, (the Nags Head that is, not my retirement!!). I pushed the boat out a bit for my main course, and chose the monkfish dish from the Specials menu - my wife chose the battered hake from the main menu. Battered Hake dish was fine, apart from the cold peas! I was very disappointed with what was presented in front of me. A piece of monkfish on a skewer which was about the size of 2/3 of a thick pork sausage, accompanied by about 3-4 dessertspoons of rice, 4 small vine tomatoes, and a ramekin of sauce!! All for the princely sum of , (I think), £17-50!! I felt that I had been totally ripped off!! As the fish course in amongst a 6/7 course tasting menu, it would have been fine, but for a main course, come on!! However, to their credit, we were not charged for the desserts. The service provided by the teenage waiters and waitresses was exemplary, but the manager was conspicuous by his absence at the first sign of trouble!! Would we go again? Not sure, but I think we'll need to hear some good reports from several people we know before making that decision. Pity that I'll remember my retirement day for all the wrong reasons!!

1  Thank Andrew K

Dear Andrew K,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. We are extremely proud of our team. We hope that you are enjoying your retirement.

We are sorry that on this occasion, you found your visit to The Nags Head disappointing.
We would love to discuss this further with you. Please contact us on manager@nagsheadhaughton.co.uk so we can try and rectify this situation.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Decided to give Nags Head a try after hearing it had recently reopened. Staff could not be more helpful and we were pleasantly surprised with such a great menu using seasonal produce. Food was as good as it looked and the desserts were to die for! Will definitely be returning very soon.

Dear Sarah B,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Nags Head. We really appreciate your feedback.

We are delighted that you found our staff helpful, we are extremely proud of our team. We also pride ourselves with our locally sourced and seasonal produce, glad you enjoyed them!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,