“Great baking experience”

Cheshire Cooks
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Tarporley
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Cheshire Cooks is located in a converted Barn in the heart of the Cheshire countryside. It is a unique venue offering a fresh approach to cooking with exciting classes that emphasize hands-on cookery and inspirational teaching, using top quality seasonal, local produce. Whether your aim is to cook for pleasure, learn to cook as a professional, or enjoy a team building exercise with colleagues, our tutors will offer courses designed to suit the complete novice through to the experienced enthusiast. Combine your course with an overnight stay at the Lakeside Barn.
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I would like to thank Jane and Philip for a great day on Monday at the advanced baking course. I know I had set you a bigger challenge than normal and I appreciate that you pulled out all stops to make sure I got the most out of the experience. As I bake everyday normally it was lovely to have the chance to work with professionals like yourself and learn from your skills and experience. In addition to this I would like to say what a fabulous tranquil location for this to take place. I am looking forward to putting all my new recipes into practice. Look forward to seeing you both again in the future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Spent the day at the cook school with Philip Martin learning a range of Italian foods. Philip was patient and encouraging in every aspect of the day. The preparation of the food was explained in an easy relaxed manner. The food looked and tasted beautiful. I couldn't believe that I had done all of the food. Enjoyed tasting everything with a nice glass of wine. I took loads home for the family to enjoy for dinner. Recipe book to take home to prepare again and again.
My second course with the Cheshire Cooks both exceptional learning experiences.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Excellent one day course, all "hands on" with no sitting around watching, we did it all. We produced 13 different items during the day. Philip even did all the clearing up as we went along.
Many useful tips and techniques learnt during the day including knife work with fish and meat.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We booked at one day cookery vegetarian cookery course at Cheshire Cooks alongside a three night stay at the Green Bough hotel in Chester which has the same owners.

Courses are run in a purpose built kitchen in a converted barn in the grounds of the owner’s (Phillip) house. The facilities are all excellent. The course itself was really fantastic - with just the two of us Phillip was able to pace the day to suit our modest level of cooking abilities. Whatever your existing standard of cooking you would not be made to feel intimidated. What we particularly liked was that the 20+ (yes 20+) dishes we cooked were really practical everyday dishes that we have already started to cook at home.

Phillip is an excellent host and teacher. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend a day at Cheshire cooks, in fact a voucher would make the perfect Christmas / birthday present for any aspiring cook.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

- Baker's Dozen Course -

If you're looking for a crash course in basic domestic baking, this is a relaxed and friendly way to learn how to make a multitude of dishes, from mille feuille (yes, you do make your own creme pat) to fresh pasta.

Beautiful setting and plenty of wine to wash down your desserts. All in all, an enjoyable day with some lovely people.