“Disappointing :(”

Ranked #4 of 4 Coffee & Tea in Tarporley
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Really sorry to write a 'bad' review for what used to be a lovely little place. We've been having lunch and coffee at this cafe for 10 years so am quite sad to write this.

Visited yesterday and we were disappointed from the moment we stepped through the door. Strange smell greeted us, not the best start in a food establishment, and tables and chairs were not particularly clean (food scraps left on chairs and sticky tables). It wasn't busy so no excuse for things not to be pristine in our opinion.

Ordered a tea, coffee, sandwich and beans and bacon on toast. Tea and coffee arrived quickly served with a lovely little chocolate and biscuit. Food arrived fairly promptly but didn't look especially appetising. I returned my dish and asked for a fresh piece of bacon as the one which had been served originally was so hard it was difficult to cut. It's obvious that the bacon had been pre-cooked and then re-heated to within an inch of its life in the microwave. When my food was brought back it became clear that my plate had been placed under a heat lamp whilst a fresh piece of bacon was heated. This meant that my beans had dried up and we're hard and unappealing. The second bacon attempt was slightly better than the first but still only half the slice was edible. I also then noticed that one of the slices of toast was burnt and that too was inedible. Decided if I'd sent it back once and this was how it was returned, there really was little point sending it back again :(.

Husband's sandwich was ok, poached salmon which whilst not particularly tasty was at least served on fresh bread with nice side salad.

Really feel that pre-cooking food is a bad idea, I would have much preferred waiting an extra 5 minutes for a freshly cooked piece of bacon. Sometimes convenience costs you quality and unfortunately, after 10 years, we won't be returning.

4  Thank KateD1975

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Called in for a coffee, and HAD to have a cake cos look so gorgeous! And wow scrummy delish yummy !!! They were! Staff very very polite and helpful. Building is so unique, was in awe reading the history and lookin at all old firefighting hats and outfits and equipment.
Lovely experience, like having a coffee break in a museum, loved it!

1  Thank Mandy P
Reviewed 12 February 2014

a wonderful place for tea coffee and food the man in the shop seemed very nice proper business man he is and the chocolate is quite nice but to me its quite small and not very species. they
have lovely staff and the ladies behind the counter are very kind the facilities are average and
they over all are a pretty nice cafe and shop

1  Thank lukeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I regularly meet friends for a coffee at the Old Fire Station Chocolate Shop. The staff are always friendly and polite, prices are reasonable and there is a wide choice of drinks and food available
throughtout the day.

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Visited in the summer nice outdoor terrace area and the food is simple yet warming. The price I also good if you are on a budget but still want a good lunch