“Great hotel, will definitely be back”

Willington Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tarporley
UK
“Great hotel, will definitely be back”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I was lucky enough to attend a wedding at Willington Hall and first impressions were.. OH MY GOODNESS! What a lovely venue! We were lucky enough to have a sunny day and the grounds looked amazing and the hotel looked gorgeous. The size is perfect for wedding venue as has large grounds, the wow factor for the building and yet it is not too big for your big day to be interrupted by other hotel guests so has that intimate feel. In fact, my friend’s family and close friends used most (if not all) of the rooms so they more or less had the place exclusive to their wedding day! Even has a helipad if the groomsmen want to arrive that way! Something my husband-to-be is now looking at since spotting that!!

My friends were married outside in the grounds which I thought was a lovely touch, and the small stone canopy where the legal bits of the ceremony took place was just perfect. I found the staff very attentive and my glass was always full! Food at the wedding was also served hot and with high standards and dancing went on in to the night. I know my friend (the bride) had a wonderful day and said that everything ran smoothly and couldn’t believe how attentive staff at the hotel were. It’s just a shame that I can not pick up Willington Hall and place it in the South for my wedding as this venue is exactly what we are looking for… unfortunately granny is too frail to travel that far!! The only thing which is a drawback… is that there was not enough bedrooms left for me… it was fully booked! So I had to stagger off to a nearby hotel.

I will definitely go back when in the area… perhaps try the afternoon tea and the beauty salon... Girls weekend away I’m thinking!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 26 June 2011

In July 2010 we had our wedding reception at Willington Hall. We had an amazing day! From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty and nothing was too much for the manager and his staff. The day went without a hitch and our guests were amazed by the high standard of the food. We stayed in the bridal suite the night of the wedding, the room was luxurious and had beautiful views of the grounds and surrounding fields. We had the perfect wedding day and we have already booked a meal for our one year anniversary in a couple of weeks. Thank you to Simon and all the staff at Willington Hall for making it a day to remember!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
lancs
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Stayed here for the night on a groupon package deal ,have to say the hotel is lovely very oldy world but clean with excellent service from all the staff. We had a three course meal which was worthy of a four star hotel and a freshly cooked breakfast the next morning but the big disappointment was the spa it was a lot of standing around for a 20 min shoulder massage that lacked the relaxed atmosphere that all spas should have we did the portal last year and would go there again for a spa break but just for a break the hotel is great.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jennifer c
Leek, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We only had afternoon tea on our visit, the plan was to see if it was worth staying a weekend here - we decided we will not return. Food was just about ok, but service was really poor.

The place was really busy with some sort of party going on, so I assume the staff were pretty stretched.

We were quite hopeful on arrival, the grounds and the building are beautiful. The room we were in was quite disappointing, and it just went downhill from there.

While our table was being set the waitress dropped a knife, my husband told me later that she had still placed it on our table, he just made sure he did not use it.

We were not asked what we would like to drink, which I thought was unusual. When the waitress came back with a pot of tea I asked her what flavour it was. She said (without a hint of sarcasm) its Tetley!

Sandwiches were cheese, egg and ham mixed together, and just ham, may have been left out a while as the bread was a starting to go a little ‘crusty’. Cakes were large slices of Victoria and chocolate sponge, which were actually quite tasty but really overfacing. There was a meringue which again was huge, and some sort of frosted cup cake which looked like it had been bought in. The scones were quite dry, and cream was just double cream, rather than the clotted cream you would expect.

Once our food was bought out no one spoke to us again, not to ask if everything was ok, or if we would like more to drink. I actually left feeling quite thirsty.

All in all we were glad we visited, if only because it was so amusing!

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shifu69
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We can only assume that the previous reviewer had either incredibly high standards, or was unfortunate enough to arrive on an extremely rare/seldom seen evening at Willington. We've regularly visited the hotel, as both guests at weddings and as diners in the restaurant or bar...and in all the times we have been we've been thrilled with both the quality of the food and the service. The staff are always friendly and helpful, and the food is always exceptional - whether you're looking for a top brand of 'pub grub' in the bar, or a more select restaurant experience! Don't be put off by the previouis review...go and see for yourself!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MCH019
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We came here for a family outing which included four small children and three rooms. Had a great Sunday lunch from the Sunday menu, wandered around the grounds in the afternoon. The views were good and it was a very pleasant place to spend a few hours. In the evening we ate in the bar, and even the bar menu had a good range of choice and quality food. They had done a birthday cake for my Dad. The rooms were comfortable, and the family room was especially nice, on the corner of the building with loads of space. I would definitely recommend it. We stayed Sunday due to lack of availability on Saturday nights.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We had a lovely evening dinner with some friends a Willington the other day and have to say it was a great evening. Probably one of the best evenings we had for a long time!

Obviously the company was great, but it would not have been the same without the absolute perfect service: friendly, quiet, quick - and the high standard of cooking: the food was simply outstanding! Needless to say we sampled both of Willigton's two ales which were lovely, and dipped our toes (figuratively speaking) into their extensive and excellent wine cellar.

All this in beautiful surroundings, overlooking Cheshire. Internally Willington hall spoils the visitors with a extensive collection of antique furniture and fittings which let's you reminisce of the good old times.

All in all an evening we will not forget quickly and we will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
The Royal Oak Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelsall
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa

Been to Willington Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!