“A must”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tarporley
Warrington, United Kingdom
“A must”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Went to a wedding yesterday here and it is a beautiful hotel set in the breathtaking countryside. The staff were very friendly and chatty. Drinks very reasonable priced and food exceptional. Will be going back to eat with the family as the menu looked lovely and won't break the bank.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank amanda h
willingtonsi, General Manager at Willington Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear AmandaH, thank you for your lovely comments. I will pass on your compliments to the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Willington Hall in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Louth
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Location – A beautiful countryside setting, not too far from main roads/links and easy to find.

Staff – Really helpful, chatty, friendly, the personal touch is in full flow here & it really makes a difference and enforces that the little things really do matter and are appreciated – like personally being taken and shown your room.

Accommodation – Appearance & décor is in keeping with the age of the property however it is tired and overdue a full programme of renovation. My heart sank a little at our outdated room (No 10) & bathroom the musty smell that greeted us had us opening the window for fresh air that said the room was spotlessly clean, the bed was comfortable & we slept well. Toiletries, large soft fluffy towels, tea & coffee, free WFi code all in the room, ironing board available on request.

Food – We ate in the bar in the evening with breakfast served in the restaurant the quality was excellent along as was the choice. With the hall being so quiet, almost eerily so, we felt a little exposed and on show when dining, some low level back ground music would have helped to create some sort of atmosphere.

My lasting impression was that our stay was enjoyable, the effort that must go into keeping a place like this going is incredible and it made a welcome change from staying in large and somewhat impersonal hotels chains.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank meandtheoldman
Dear meandtheoldman, thank you for submitting your review. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay and pleased that you were able to appreciate the hotel building and grounds for all of its charm and character. With regards to your comments about the decor, I am currently in the process of carrying out extensive renovation on the main building, bedrooms and a new heating system. I hope that this has not put you off any future visit, but if it has and you would like to discuss it further please contact me at the hotel directly.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

Wednesday night dinner for two £30 fantastic value. Super food, generally good staff. Definitely recommended for somewhere a bit soecial specially with this offer. Even if we didnt get coffee is ordered originally it arrived with a smile and appology

Stayed July 2013
Dearsmh111, thank you for submitting your review, I apologise for the delay in responding to you. I am glad you enjoyed your dinner on our Wednesday night offer please look out for future offers that we have and in the meantime I look forward to seeing you again soon!
Bristol
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed here midweek, so that may explain how quiet the hotel was during our visit. I was very lucky & was spoilt/ treated to a manicure at the adjoining spa salon. Excellent service by the hotel staff & generally tidy all round. I would recommend the spending of abit extra & book room 1 as shown on all the hotel literature. Perhaps the best room in the hotel? With stunning views from all the windows.

Room Tip: Try room 1.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Odes968, thank you for submitting your review of the hotel. Room 1 is a lovely room and I'm glad that you appreciated it. We also have 4 other deluxe rooms which are all individually styled. I will pass on your compliments to the team regarding service and cleanliness. I hope to welcome you back to Willington Hall in the near future.
Whakatane,New Zealand
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Looked very stately on the internet and so it proved to be.Imposing building and grounds,a very large and comfortable bed and with one exception very friendly and helpful staff.The man who served us on the second night needs to learn some dealing with customers skills-very abrupt and rude until it became clear to him that we were not amused.We also saw and heard some some friction between him and the receptionist so we were not alone in our view of his lack of tact and his abruptness.Such a shame as other staff were very pleasant Nice bar and restaurant foof and reasonable wine prices.Much more character than staying in standard hotels and motels.

Room Tip: go for a superior room-much larger than a standard room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear RobertChappell, thank you for submitting your review of the hotel in June, I apologise for the delay in responding. I am pleased you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and that you appreciated the hotel building and grounds for their own individual charm. I hope to welcome you back to Willington Hall in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Arrived about 9 pm after having driven from London and been stuck in bad traffic due to a motorway pile up. I explained this to theperson on recption who appeared to be the Manager. She proceed to ask me to bear with her as she was sorting credit card receipts into little piles. She then began to inform me her Belgian Head Waitress had not turned up for work and it was causing her problems. I would have thought after a guest had told you they had had a long tireing journey thay your priority wouild be to check them in as quickley as possible. clearly not here. I am interested about here staff issue? No of course not, i find it strange someone in authority would highlight this.
We were shown to our room which although larger was very ordinary. The outside of the hotel is a bit of a wow as is the lobby. Very country House etc. So the room was a disppointment. It had a big damp patch on one of the walls and fllor in the bathroom was poorly fitted. The bed was either very old or had a very cheap mattress. You could feel every spring. It was one of the worst nights sleep I have ever had.
I wnr to bar and had to wait quite some time to get served as there was no one on the bar. Eventually a bar man did arrive. He was about 80 yers old, quite slow and he appeared quite unsure about how to serve drinks.
I was staying the hotel along with several clients as we were attending a function near by. We had to leave fairly early next morning, about 07:45. Breakfast was 7:30-9:30. My clients pre ordered breakfast the night before to enable them to get away on time. Needless to say the breakfast didnt turn up early(7:30). The same Manager as had checked me in the night before, did come and apologise and inform my clients, " they had a different chef on today and he hadn't come in on time". Again poor service and staff excuses. I myself did not pre order breakfast, but as my clients breakfast only arrived at the time we should have been leaving I guessed mine would still take some time so checked out and left without breakfast. The Manager did apologise but again harped on about staff issues as I was checking out. She also had a very flustered manner which as a guest I found quite uncomfortable, although she and all staff were very very courteous at all times.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank GMAN99059
Dear GMAN99059, thank you for submitting your review of the hotel and please accept my apologies for not responding sooner. I am pleased that you were able to appreciate the hotel building and grounds for all of its charm and character. I am however concerned that your stay was not enjoyable, even if it was a business trip! With regard to your room, we do offer larger than normal accommodation due to the size of the rooms that were expected when the hotel was built in 1829 as a family home. I am currently in the process of carrying out extensive renovation on the main building, bedrooms and a new heating system. Breakfast is offered between 7.30 and 9.30 when the restaurant opens, as you mentioned, however when guests are leaving early we offer and recommend a continental option which is made available in the bedrooms. Pre-orders for breakfast are more than welcome, however everything is cooked from fresh and to order, which would allow 15 minutes cooking and preparing, leaving your clients to enjoy their breakfast at 7.45, perhaps this is something that needed further communication from my team. Finally, with regard to my staff and their age, I think we perhaps share different values. I hope that this has cleared up some of your issues but if you do wish to talk about it further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel directly.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Excellent Hotel with friendly staff. Set in beautiful grounds particularly in June when the Rhododendrons are out . Lovely large bedrooms, very well furnished with great views of the countryside. Would recommend to friends.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Diane T, thank you for submitting your review of Willington Hall. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
#1 of 1 in Oakmere
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton

Been to Willington Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!