“A wonderful hotel in a peaceful location”

Willington Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tarporley
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
“A wonderful hotel in a peaceful location”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed at Willington Hall for five nights, but wish it could have been for more. From the outset, the stay was superb. As we arrived, the car park was adorned with a multitude of Rolls Royces! We were very warmly welcomed at reception who informed us that a Rolls Royce owners club was having lunch there! We were also told that we had been upgraded - a complete and extremely pleasant surprise.

Our room (no.4), overlooking the front of the Hall, was very large with a huge, comfortable bed. The decoration was good and we heard no appreciable noise to disturb our peace from either inside the hotel or outside during our stay. The ensuite (bath with shower over) clean with all the toiletries you could want.

The first evening there we had a delicious bar snack - a hotel 'speciality' - the spinach pancake served by the attentive barman who gave us the low down on sites to see in the area. We only managed to eat in the restaurant once during our stay, but the food was outstanding and very reasonably priced.

To sum up, Willington Hall is in a beautiful, peaceful location - exactly what we wanted - and was made extra special by all of the staff who, without exception, were always friendly, responded to requests immediately and just made us feel at home. Perfect!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
willingtonsi, General Manager at Willington Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Rob C,
Thank you for submitting your lovely review of Willington Hall Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed yourselves with the added treat of our regular Rolls Royce club. I have passed on your comments to the rest of the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed for two nights with two friends.We had a huge room each with a lovely king size bed. The decor was in keeping with the architecture of the building and the rooms were comfortable and cosy but, as others have mentioned, they could do with some renovation. We stayed during late October but the weather was warm ; the room was warm enough but I would be slightly worried about staying in deep winter because, whilst one radiator was warm(ish), the other provided no heat at all.The bed in my room, room 2 ,was comfy but the pillows were slightly thin and hard. The bathroom was large and clean, the towels were nice and thick and the shower worked well. We ate in the bar one lunchtime and took dinner in the dining room twice. The food was excellent and the service good. Breakfast was also tasty and well presented although I would have liked a wider variety of fruit. The staff throughout were amongst the friendliest I have ever encountered. I would love to return to Willington Hall.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear meopi76,
It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Willington Hall. I must apologise for the lack of adequate heating however In the future please do not hesitate to ask for additional heaters or blankets we would be only too happy to accommodate you. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hall soon.
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here for one evening for our anniversary.
We found the room to be clean, comfortable and well equipped. The bed was huge (Room 5). The shower had a lovely drench head on it and has good pressure and temperature.

The setting of the hotel is beautiful with extensive gardens and outdoor seating areas. The decor in the hotel is well in keeping with the style of the house and the bars are homely. We ate in the restaurant and the food was delicious.

The only issue we did find was that they seemed a little short staffed. There was only one person operating behind both bars so he was quite often unseen. He was also the person doing the waiting of tables in the restaurant so he had three places to be. He was, however, friendly and polite. The lady on reception that evening was happy to accomodate my request for 'real milk' to replace the UHT in the room.

The breakfast was tasty but the waiter service (different to the night before) was verging on offish and rude (morning of the 9th October). They could also do with a larger area for their continental breakfast offerings as it was on one tiny round table which made it harder for everyone to get to.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear TheHadfields,
Thank you for posting your review of Willington Hall. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I hope it made for a memorable anniversary. I am glad that you enjoyed your meal and I have passed on your comments to the Chef and Restaurant manager. I can only apologise for the lack in staffing and the attitude of the breakfast waiter, I assure you these matters are being addressed, I hope you have not been put off and would consider a return visit. If you would like to discuss this further with me, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel.
Ellsemere port
Reviewed 13 October 2013

With a birthday party ,first time for me thinking it was going to be a night to remember ,it was but not for the right reason,more fish dishes than I have ever seen before,I chose the belly pork,now before I carry on can someone explain to me what the difference is from fine dinning to say double tree hotel in Chester ,I have ate there a few times and I remember getting more than 1 carrot as my veg. The bill came to over £47 .will never go again, and wii never recommend it to anybody

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Barbara N
Dear Barbara N,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Willington Hall Hotel. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your evening. I assure you I will be looking into the reason why you had only received one carrot, if you had mentioned this to the waiting on staff some additional vegetables could have been provided. We like to offer a variety of different options to guest's when dining with us which is why we offer three fish dishes, however I can see that perhaps to a non-fish lover this is a bit too much. If you would like to get in touch with me I would be only too happy to have the opportunity to discuss with you further and try to change your opinion of us.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

What a wonderful place to stay! From the time we arrived, the staff could not have been more accommodating. Spacious rooms and décor from a grand past. Wonderful grounds surround the hotel and one can imagine life in a manor. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Serocki
Dear Serocki, thank you for reviewing Willington Hall Hotel. I am very pleased to hear that your stay was so enjoyable and that the staff were accommodating. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hall soon.
Northwest
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Had a lovely afternoon with my family, popped in for afternoon tea. Food was fresh and plentiful. Loving the refurbishment of bar areas. Choice of colours modern and fresh, but in keeping with the character and age of the house. Our daughter is having her wedding reception at Willington in May next year, we are so excited and can't wait for her and her fiances special day. Keep up the good work Simon, its nice to see all your plans coming together that we had the pleasure of sharing with you at a recent wedding show. see you on 31st May :)

Room Tip: Lovely surroundings and refurbishment taking shape
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
willingtonsi, General Manager at Willington Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Elaine M,
Thank you for submitting your review of Willington Hall Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed our afternoon teas. We look forward to hosting your daughters Wedding day next year, I hope all the plans are coming together for you. Feel free to pop in at anytime to discuss arrangements further or even for some more tea!
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is my second review of this hotel and the reason for this is that every time I stay there it gets better and better.
This beautiful stately home has to be the best I have ever stayed in. Everything about it the ambience, the rooms, the food are all excellent but most of all are the staff they are exceptional.
All credit to the excellent management.
Take my advice stay here you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: They are all terrific but if you get rooms 1-5 you will be very happy
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ian S,
Thank you for submitting your second excellent review of Willington Hall Hotel. I have passed on your kind comments to the rest of the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hall soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
The Royal Oak Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelsall
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa

Been to Willington Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!