“A very special place”

Willington Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tarporley
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We got married at Willington Hall in March 2013. So good was the day we decided that we'd go back every anniversary. The owners and staff at Willington Hall make the place even more special than the beautiful building does on its own. We felt like we were being treated like family upon our return (even though I foolishly got our dates wrong by a day). The rooms are loverly in a traditional way each with good views though the wedding suite has the best in my opinion. The food is fantastic and the service is very professional especially if you eat in the restaurant. The food is so good that we have visited just to eat. We just love the place and booked our next stay on the morning that we left.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Willington Hall Hotel

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We recently (Late June) attended a Silver Wedding, staying in the hotel for two nights. All was perfect, the rooms very comfortable, the views perfect, staff all friendly and the food excellent, particularly for the function. You rarely get excellent food when catering for 70+ people, but this was truly faultless, tasted great, looked great and very generous portions.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Undoubtedly the best value country house hotel I have ever stayed in. But more than that, it was simply very good regardless of price. The views are great, the staff first class and my room was truly enormous. Some of the furniture and décor are dated etc but who cares. The only fault I can think of is that they were fully booked when I asked to extend my stay! Class act.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I'm not one for travelling 100s of miles for a 1- or 2-night break - so I travelled 18 miles to this hotel! And we both loved it. And so will visitors, especially if maybe from outside the UK, hoping for that 'English Country House' 'Pride & Sensibility' experience.

We visted a couple of months ago; and repeated the experience for my birthday recently, as we both liked it so much. Both times, we've stayed on a Sunday (and once a second night on Monday) as the room rates are quite a bit lower then. Because it was my birthday, we phoned the hotel to try to get a nice room. And did.

I think there are only a dozen or so rooms. We've stayed in an attic room (very steep steps up, if you're like J-Lo and 'don't do steps' for any reason) with a view of treetops; and stayed in one of the big old rooms with fabulous panoramic view of the Cheshire plain and some distant Welsh (?) hills.

The attic room, one of two, that we had was LEFT as you get to the top of the second flight of stairs - and was spacious and not claustrophobic in the slightest, or I'd be the first to notice that and start to panic.

It had been very recently modernised - pale taupe painted walls, good bathroom with LED-colour-change shower (no bath), big coffee table, glass bedside tables, trendy-ish lampshades, sofa etc - so is not quite as much 'country house' as the other rooms. I'll post pics if I find some.

The more traditionally styled room - Room 3 - was VERY big - AND very tall - with a big triple window onto near and distant fields and hills, complete with, as another reviewer said, its own herd of cows in the foreground. A painting come to life. Despite the overall olde worlde feels, this room had still been updated - plain, painted, neutral coloured walls rather than flowers plastered all over everything. Other stuff was deep olive-green themed. (I think some rooms are deep red-themed.) Massive cream sofa, and an ver-the-top cushion count of about 12. Crystal chandelier. Massive bed. Mahogany furniture. Large bathroon, very modern fittings, bath plus shower. Just right.

Because of the extensive gardens and views (and mini-lake if you want one in the background for photos) plus a large dedicated wedding reception room with its own romantic garden with candles and pergolas, it's all ideal for about-to-be-marrieds. (But only about a dozen bedrooms, so you'd have to take over the whole hotel if it was a big wedding, or ask people to stay nearby.)

Breakfasts were cooked-to-order and hot, and fantastic. Over-generous, if anything. I have always had that poached egg and ham on English muffins with creamy sauce thing. Mrs CD had a decent FEB. (Sausages not great, in my opinion, but she was happy with everything.)

Breakfasts are very early - a drawback for some, including us. None of this 10.30 or 11am malarkey. Set your alarm.

Evening restaurant meal also excellent.

On Sunday evenings, meals are only served in the 2 bars (very big bars), but it's the same food as in the restaurant. Sunday lunchtimes are very busy with non-residents in the main restaurant, so the food must be good! And VERY reasonable in cost for this kind of hotel. As are drinks prices. I was very surprised. This is ALL the time - not just for Sunday lunchtime.

We also walked to The Boot Inn one afternoon, a typical country pub about a mile away, more-or-less in a straight line, no detours, for a decent meal - and a few drinks, as we were walking back. Recommended.

The hotel is quiet - which means hidden away and quite hard to find. Yes, we travelled 18 miles and STILL managed to get lost. Satnav should help, and keep your wits about you as you near the hotel. Don't necessarily follow the road signs, unless it's the brown one pointing to the hotel. e.g. I don't think signposts to Willington mean that you'll necessarily find Willlington Hall.

Re quietness: our first stay was during a big wedding but, because all this takes place away from the main hotel, it was not noisy at all. And, being in the attic on that occasion, that was quiet, too. All bedrooms are on the first floor (not sure of wheelchair access - did not notice a lift, but there may be a hidden one), with a couple of attic rooms a further floor up, reached by steep stairs only.

We've also stayed at a very similar hotel 7 or miles away 3 or 4 times, but Willington has now moved to the top of our list as the other hotel is very similar, but has more rooms and is now quite a bit more expensive for a very similar experience, and with more variable room quality, in our opinion. (We've stayed 3 times and gone from the best room of the lot (free Sunday night upgrade) to a decent attic room to a quite tired attic room.)

So maybe 4.5 stars for The Willington. We'll definitely go back. After all, we can be there in well under an hour. Unless I get lost again.

Room Tip: I think 1 2 3 are the biggest. Hotel will advise on best views etc. Fan supplied on request.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I visit the hotel regularly for both business and pleasure.

This hotel is a real find for business/tourists needing a venue near to Liverpool, Manchester and Chester of course and situated in the heart of the beautiful Cheshire countryside.

The food and service is consistently of a high quality and I love the informal but professional and friendly attention to detail provided by the owners and the close team at the hall.

The gardens are looking fabulous and the hall is truly a perfect venue for drinks on the terrace after work or a family/friends get together. I have attended a number of weddings/functions and to sum up the hall is simply quality and exceptional value whatever the occasion!

I do recommend the hotel's signature dish namely the divine spinach pancakes!

Finally, the flexibility and personal service is just amazing. The other day I just fancied a prawn and salmon salad for a business lunch and the restaurant manager was more than happy to liaise with the chef and without even a delay I received a delicious salad that was not even on the menu! Furthermore, if one fancies just a glass of a particular wine or champs/prosecco for example the team will oblige!

I rarely take the time to review venues but on this occasion this is a well overdue raising of the glass this beautiful hotel and the fabulous team at Willington Hall.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jacq6
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were very pleasantly surprised with everything about Willington Hall. The hall itself, the gardens and grounds and the views are fantastic. We were really well looked after by all the staff, nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were massive with lovely views. The food was excellent, some slightly unusual dishes which really worked well and very good value for money. We were staying one night as we were walking The Sandstone Trail. It is the perfect place to stay the first night if you are walking the trail over 3 days.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Ate here 3 days ago as part of a group of about 27. The setting is delightful, fabulous gardens & we were given a private bar & dining room.

We we were waited on by 3 staff, 2 of whom were very calm & professional, the 3rd a young woman seemed very flustered. We had pre-ordered choices & were each given a place card which had our choices on it to assist the staff, such a good idea.

Delivery was a bit hit & miss, with all but 2 having starters in front of them & then waiting some time for the remainder. My friend sitting next to me had the same main course, salmon pave with prawns & new potatoes. She was the very last to be served, again waiting some time & when we compared plates mine was about half as big again as hers which was very small & no potatoes. When we eventually managed to catch a waitress & mentioned it to her very politely,her response was "Well that's how they come, they're cooked like that". Not the response we were expecting! No apology & she just turned & left. She came back a few minutes later, after my friend had reconciled herself to no potatoes, plonked a small dish on the table in front of her & said "Was it you who wanted more potatoes?".

After the dessert, tea & coffee service was erratic, my friend again being left out. By then, she wondered if it was intentional.

Although we enjoyed our food, the service from this one individual left a lot to be desired. We didn't have time to do anything about it as it had taken the best part of 2 hrs to have dinner & we had travelled from Ludlow & still had to go onto Cheadle (Cheshire) so wanted to be away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
#1 of 1 in Oakmere
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton

Been to Willington Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!