The Swan Tarporley
US$167
The Crown Hotel(Tarporley)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$89
Rock Farm(Tarporley)
US$120
US$233
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
The Tollemache Arms(Tarporley)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$103
US$96
Hill House Farm(Tarporley)
Hotels.com
All reviewshunt roomcoaching innoverlooking the high streetbath saltslovely villagecoach houseroast dinnerfish and chipsbeer gardenoulton parka lovely place to stayone night staycar parkfour posterfull englishmain buildingstaff were attentive
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We were really unpleasantly surprised by our visit to the Swan. Having read the good reviews we travelled there looking forward to a nice lunch. On arrival we were a bit put off by the number of flies in the first room, so went to the small room behind the bar. Whilst being served our drinks and looking at the menus we were asked to move from the bar area to the room with numerous flies because we had children with us. The bar staff had not mentioned this when taking our drinks order, the request was made by the owner in a rude and abrupt way. Our children are beautifully behaved and were sitting quietly at the table looking at menus when the owner came over. We have eaten meals with them in numerous (and far, far better!) restuarants. So we drank our drinks and left to eat elsewhere where our children would be welcome. We'd suggest that the Swan make it clear that they don't welcome children at any time (no children's menu) and sort out the fly problem! Hardly the "heart of Tarporley"!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank SurreyFamily22
kaltonandbarlow, Owner at The Swan Tarporley, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2009

Thank-you for your review and comments , i am one of the owners and was on holiday during your visit.

I am deeply distressed at your comments and following an investigation can only apologize for the way the situation was handled.

We welcome children of all ages, we have a children's policy that for their safety and security keeps them away from the bars and entrances - this has the children's best interests at heart. We have no children's menu because the staff are trained to offer all kids ' Whatever they would like - made fresh to order' . With young children ourself we are passionate about giving kids free choice and healthy fresh food.

The August humidity and open windows may have created a fly problem the day you visited - for this i also apologize.

Please email - info@theswantarporley.co.uk FAO SK and i will do my best to remedy.

Reviewed 19 July 2009

My husband was racing at Oulton Park so we stayed here with our 10 month old son. I cannot praise the staff and the place enough and would definitely stay here again. We stayed for 2 nights but could only have the bigger suite room (for the travel cot) on the first night as they were fully booked. Sue, who booked the room was brilliant and made sure that all of our stuff was moved into the standard room for us whilst we were out. The standard room was lovely but a bit of a squeeze for 3 of us. The only downside was that this room was at the back of the pub so we were a bit disturbed with people getting into their cars in the car park at the end of the night.
Breakfast was included and it was gorgeous with really attentive staff and plenty of newspapers. We also ate in the restaurant in the evening and all I can say is WOW - the food was fantastic. I had to send my steak back as it was still a bit pink for me but instead of getting back my original reheated meal I was given a brand new meal with a now perfect steak. Now that's what I call service.
All of the staff, without fail, were amazing - really chatty and friendly and they quite simply couldn't do enough for us...
We had a fantastic stay and I wouldn't stay anywhere else if I was in the area

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2009

We called in at the Swan at around 4p.m. on a Sunday afternoon and were pleasently surprised at how many people were having an al freco meal in the pleasent beer garden; we just wanted a quick drink and were served with courtesy and speed..when we are next in the area we might just stay a night or two......... Paul & Jaki

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2009

We used the hotel as a one night base to visit Chester and the surorundings while en route from Cambridge to the Lakes. We were very pleasantly surprised by the hotel and the village. The rooms was very comfortable and attractive. In the evening, the hotel and its pub were bustling with local diners.

The hotel is situated on the main street of an attractive and lively village. It is about 20 minutes from Chester and is surrounded by prettty countryside and great rural pubs.

We understood from the General Manager that there is a new owner/manager team at the hotel. These guys deserve to succeed.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tonyCambridge_UK
Reviewed 4 March 2009

We stayed at The Swan en-route to The Lakes after speaking to some friends in the area.

Service (including check-in) was all through the bar but we were welcomed straight away and offered a drink before being shown to our room. Rooms are clean and simple but cozy with en-suite bathrooms and wifi if you need that sort of thing. Dinner was well executed high-end traditional pub food. My husband had a scotch egg on recommendation, which he said was great (much better than it sounds and according to him definitely the best bit his stay) and a fish pie, all washed down with a pint with a handle on (seventh heaven for him). I went for an open sandwich as a vegetarian option, which was very good too.

I wouldn't normally write a review but I believe that the place is under new management as of a couple of weeks ago. Good luck to them and congratulations on a simple but very good offering. It goes to show that you can't believe everything in the press as it looks like they will make a goer of this place despite all the doom and gloom.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple